“The Trifecta”

Caffe Milano
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We felt like we hit the trifecta here - ambiance, service and food. Not sure what is up with the reviews that rated the food average and the couple who thinks their palates are too refined to enjoy the wine. My husband is Italian and we have been to Italy several times. And, I can assure you I have been called a wine snob with some regularity. The waiter was extremely helpful in assisting us with an outstanding wine selection that we thoroughly enjoyed. I am always hesitant to order gnocchi. Done right, gnocchi is an art form; done wrong, heavy and pasty. Well, the gnocchi, bread, pasta and seafood here were all excellent. Tiramisu is another one of those items that make me hesitate. We ordered it for dessert here and it passed with flying colors. We had tried to stop by and make a reservation here but were never able to find it open during the afternoon. My advice, just stop by in the evening and you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Nick G

Reviewed 27 December 2012

We were impressed by the good reviews about Caffe Milano, and made two attempts to eat there. The information on the door of the restaurant and on the website indicated that it opened at 1 pm, so we waited outside - and waited and waited. Finally we left to find another place for lunch. The same thing happened the next day. That evening we went by and found it open - and were informed that "oh we open at 4 pm now." Unfortunately we were not able to return, as we had a commitment and we left the next day.

I hope they have updated their information by now - just don't assume that the posted hours are correct!

1  Thank Purmamarca
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I admit you don't go to La Paz for italian, but the did okay. My pizza (huge) was a bit cold, undercooked & was overall only above average. The pizza wood fired crust was the best part. My wife's cioppino had great broth, but fish was only okay and small portion. The Greek salad was the best item. Prices were fair, not great. They really rave about wines here, but we are from Santa Barbara wine country - so our palates may be more refined. Service was great.

1  Thank KipL
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Milano is a charming and lovely restaurant in La Paz where my husband and I enjoyed a just equally excellent service and food. We strongly recommand this place for great Italian food in a very pleasant atmosphere. Yes, every place in the world has it's Italian restaurant, but Milano's has this little something more that makes it unforgettable.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Often the Italian crowd, living in this wonderful place of La Paz, gather at the tall tables outside the front door of Cafe Milano. Michele, the proprietor, who occasionally reminds me of the character Renne in Allo Allo, knows all their names and will remember yours as well. The food, of course is superb. The wife and partner, Lei, spends her days in the kitchen putting an authentic Italian menu together with the freshest ingredients she can find at the markets. I have a favorite Italian meal. Can you make me a salt fish for a party I asked. No problem, southern or northern style? And I have repeated that festive evening more than a few times. The restaurant is just one street back of the Malecon and easy to find. Tell them Don Beto sent you and I will try to get a glass of wine out of it.

1  Thank RobinChamplin