All reviewseco lodgeopen airstayed for nightsfernandoac
Reviewed 30 December 2016

We have stayed for 3 nights in this nice little place and found it was marvellous! Perfect when you want to escape the rush and enjoy nature at its best, away from all commotion. You will enjoy a nice beakfast, lunch and diner on the premisses (the town Baru is located about 30 minutes by bike to we have been told) . This is an ecolodge - not a hotel so no big luxurury but if you fancy some privacy (there are only 4 cabins on the premises) this is definitely the place to go. Each day you can choose different places to go by boat but we found that playa Agua Azul was just great and only 5 minutes by boat (transfer from and back are organized by the hotel and entirely free). You also could snorkel around Islas Del Rosario (which we did and was great) - transfer price by private boat around 180.000 COP in total. We especially liked the food - the best we had during our trip in Colombia!). To get there: you will be picked up by boat (cost around 150.000 CP one way-120.000 CP back (port charges 30K CP) in the port of Cartagena. It will take you around 1 hour to get to the hotel. We had arranged our transfer via owner Fernando. Such a nice person and so is the staff!
We would definitely go back to enjoy the intimacy of the place.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael V
Beatriz Helena U, Propietario at Hotel Playa Scondida, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2017

Thanks for your good comments, it is nice to know that you have enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 21 July 2016

If you need or enjoy time surrounded by few people in a very natural environment and next to the espectacular manglares.
The staff is great and always available. If you want a bit more of a corned there is a free service to the Playa Azul (beach) beautiful with sand just 5min away.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Andres C

Thank you for your goods comments. We emerge every day to have satisfied guests.

Reviewed 24 May 2016

We stayed for 5 days in Playascondida hotel was wonderful. Its classy tropical architecture and very comfortable beds and pillows were greatly unexpected for a place we thought was going to be a bit rustic. I am a big fan of air conditioning and it was very nice to have this option in an eco hotel. Loved the dim lighting that made the place very romantic during the evenings (it kinda forced us to look at the sky, something we usually do not do, and it was a nice change of pace).

We are very serious about critiquing food (my wife is a culinary arts major and we both love to cook and eat out), and I believe it was one of the best features of the hotel. Everything was delicious, and very well presented. The wonderful staff also made the atmosphere to be very personal and cozy.

There were many beautiful spots one can access from the hotel; the white sand beach that was 5 minutes from the hotel was my personal favorite. My wife loved to just stay in the hotel and spend her day reading, massaging and taking naps.

Regarding prices, it is pretty affordable right now with the exchange rate USD vs Colombian Peso (to me, it is 50% less than last time I went to Colombia), and compared to Cartagena, (which I thought was a bit overpriced in some things), it was really fair.

Our trip was lovely and it was because of this place and its staff. I read some other reviews and to me, the parts I disagree were a matter of the stage we are in life. My wife and I are happy all the time, and I guess this was why we loved the cab ride to the pier, the people, the one hour Caribbean sea boat ride that took us to the hotel, and the return to the majestic Cartagena (how could you go wrong with great food, great staff, great landscapes, great sleep, great beach, and Caribbean sea). Loved it... will definitely be back again next year.

Room Tip: First floor has a great garden surrounding it, second floor has the ocean views but has to use stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2016

Playa Scondida is a bit of an interesting place. You must get there by boat, which takes about an hour in pretty choppy waters. The return trip in the afternoon was not exactly fun. The afternoon winds in this area make the seas very rough. Make sure you stow all your bags in the hatch and put a towel around you, if possible. Be prepared to get soaked. The place itself is very clean and the staff are nice. The meals were all very good and we actually had to ask for no desserts or afternoon snacks because we're not used to eating that much! The owner, Fernando speaks excellent English and tries to make sure you are happy. Unfortunately for them, the locals from Cartagena come to a beach bar 400m across the inlet from them to party. So, on Saturday and Sunday afternoons it is filled with partiers and boats all blaring their stereos. I feel badly for the owners, but I wouldn't recommend staying here on weekends. The only blessing is that they all leave to boat back to Cartagena about an hour before sundown. You can swim off the dock in front of the property. It has a bit of a mushy bottom, but nothing too yucky. The water is warm, but gets a little choppy in the afternoon. They have A/C, but sometimes the power goes out. It did so a couple of times while we were there, but came back on fairly quickly. Fernando said they are looking at installing a salt water pool on the property, which would be nice for the afternoons.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank McLeod9
Beatriz Helena U, Asistente administrativo at Hotel Playa Scondida, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2016

We thank you for your comment. Each day we aim to improve on every detail to achieve such good reviews

Reviewed 2 February 2016

My girlfriend and I were planning a trip Cartagena from Chicago and knew that we wanted some beach time. After conducting extensive research, we learned that we had to go to Baru if we wanted to experience the best beaches in the area. We decided to stay at Hotel Playa Scondida and are SO glad that we did. I'll start from the beginning.

A day or so before our trip, we received an e-mail from Hotel Playa Scondida stating that we needed to get to the marina by 8:15am. Our flight didn't arrive till the afternoon, so that option was out of the question. I replied to the e-mail and they offered a pick-up from the airport to a private boat for 300,000 COP. While we thought that was a little expensive, we decided to do it because we didn't want the hassle. Even though our flight was delayed, our transportation was there waiting. We learned the seas were too rough to take the boat and instead they drove us there. The car ride was not ideal, as the car has to drive along a narrow beach and there were cars getting stuck. It was a little scary at first, but we arrived safe and sound after about a 90 min drive. This is no fault of Hotel Playa Scondida, but just be warned that I have no idea what we would have done if we did not arrange this transportation though the hotel ahead of time. The hotel is difficult to get to--which is part of the appeal.

Upon arrival, my girlfriend and I were a little surprised that there wasn't a beach on the property. This is my fault and I didn't do enough research. However, this turned out to be a good thing. The hotel has a private boat that takes you to this little island across the way that has a private beach. It was very cool to be on this private beach, but the beach wasn't exactly our favorite given the amount of trees on the beach. It was beautiful, don't get me wrong, but we were expecting something different.

The next day we took a boat to Islas del Rosario. The blues of the water were breathtaking. We opted not to go snorkel and instead went to this pretty cool aquarium that is in the open sea. Following the aquarium was the best part of our trip--our boat driver took us to this island that seemed to be completely disserted. We had a BEAUTIFUL white sandy beach literally all to ourselves. I wish we would have learned about this the day before and spent more time there. It was an experience that was just like out of some romantic movie. It was so so nice.

We also spent an afternoon laying out on the dock. It was so relaxing.

My girl is OK at speaking spanish, but not great. But english-speakers: have no fear. Fernando (whose wife owns the place) was always available and was willing to go out of his way for anything we needed. He and his team worked to arrange transportation from his hotel all the way to Minca. He told us that he was willing to do anything to make our trip to colombia as stress-free as possible.

Every meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) is included in the cost. Every meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) was exceptional. The cook does an awesome job at exposing you to local dishes. We had a smile on our face for every meal.

A few things you should be aware of before you go:
Bring bug spray and reapply often. While you have a roof over your head at night and are in a private cabin, nothing is completely sealed off. The outdoor showers were pretty fricken neat, and romantic.

Be aware that every where at Hotel Playa Scondida is exposed to the elements. That means that besides your rooms, everything is open-air. This is how all hotels are in Baru (and hence, you need buy spray). Also, reapply sun block often.

We had a beautiful stay at Hotel Playa Scondida and would definitely come back in the future.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple