I stayed at Playa Scondida during the Christmas holidays and - although the staff, especially Rafa and Eddiefredo - are absolutely lovely and the venue is pretty, and the hotel still deserves a rating of poor.
1) We came to Playa Scondida to relax. Unfortunately, this was impossible, as during the whole time we were there music was blaring from the opposite beach from noon until at least 5 pm. We could barely sleep an afternoon nap and definitely couldn't sit on the deck to relax. Another family came during this time, heard the noise and checked out on the same day. Other guests also complained - at least between ourselves. It might have been different had management, which was aware of this, taken the initiative to offer some sort of recompense to the guests to make up for this.
2) Traveling to Playa Scondida was a nightmare. We were offered three options to get there, including the public boat, which we chose. When we got to the port, the public boat was not allowed to take off by the authorities. Okay - not the fault of the hotel. However, a representative of Playa Scondida who was there - instead of telling us to wait for the next boat - took us to wait for an hour and a half in a house which she locked and kept telling us "15 more minutes and a taxi will come, the driver is stuck in traffic"- and didn't update or provide any information. The taxi did come nearly two hours later, and the taxi driver explained that he was so very late because his car was broken (not traffic). Why they couldn't arrange another car is beyond us. We ended up arriving at 2 pm instead of 10:30 - wasted hours on a short holiday. The first thing the management told us when we finally arrived "this was out of our control". Surely, for real service, the first thing they should have said was "so sorry, here, have a cocktail and we will make it up to you"
3) Tons of mosquitos, continuously bitten despite putting on DEET. As were other guests.
4) Stayed one night in the top room, where the bed was pooed on by some creature during the night. Again, no recompense offered.
5) Worst mojito I have ever drunk
1) 5 minutes away from a beautiful Caribbean beach, where if you walk far enough away you will not be hassled by vendors
2) Lovely staff and continuously changing menu
3) Beautiful architecture
4) Free snorkeling and kayaking (which other hotels charge for)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our ecological hotel is located on the island of Baru, 20 miles south of Cartagena, Colombia, in the beautiful cove of Cholon, between mangroves, with warm and calm waters, where you will find a dock on the sea, with sun loungers and parasols. You can enjoy kayaking, snorkeling, water sports or just sunbathing. We can organize excursions to the islands of Rosario, the town of baru, and the aviary. In front of the hotel you will find several white sandy beaches, where guests are transported free of charge. The hotel was designed by artisan artists with autochthonous materials like bamboo and palm, consists of two bungalows with two rooms each, with air conditioning, private bathroom. We have a rich restaurant where the most delicious typical dishes of the region are prepared. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Playa Scondida reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.