We arranged for a hotel taxi to collect us from Krabi airport. ( July 2012 ). By the time we got on the boat, to take us to the hotel, it was dark - which was a shame, as the hotel is located in a beautiful setting. (Thai Air cancelled the earlier flight). The only way in or out of the hotel is by boat (or the monkey trail).
After the boat ride we landed on a jetty, about 50 meters out into the sea, which can at times be like a roller coaster ride if there are many waves. If you have problems with your balance or have trouble walking you will find it difficult to get ashore. Just remember to stand still if a wave is coming and you will be fine. I didnt like walking on it.
We were soon in our room, which was adequate. We were 2 adults and 2 children, and had one extra bed in the room for the little ones. The room size was good, though could have done with a king size bed for us. The bed and pillows were comfortable.
The toilet in the room was small, though the bath area was large. There is a blind next to the toilet, and you have to make sure it is set correctly, so anyone living or walking opposite the toilet cannot see you having a wee. The people living opposite us failed to do this, so you have been warned !!. The water pressure was good in the shower. The internet however was very slow, and a disappointment. I wanted to watch streamed programmes on my computer but could not get past the first screen. I paid about 500 THB for 4 or 5 days which was reasonable, though why cant it be free?? It costs next to nothing to provide internet to each room. There was a short up hill walk to the room from the main areas of the hotel, but this was ok, and was good exercise.
The hotel is in a nature reserve. The surroundings are stunning. Huge cliffs on one side, towering over 500 feet high or more. On the other side, the sea. You can only get to the hotel by boat or by the monkey trail, which is a 20 minute walk around the cliffs. This leads to some small shops I believe. The monkey trail gets it's name from the resident monkeys, which live in an area of trees by the monkey trail. They sleep in the trees at night and can venture into the hotel during the day. They normally stay in the trees though, so you may not always see them. One monkey came onto our balcony and took my wife's packet of crisps straight from her hand. The same monkey then sat down and ate the crisps from the bag, and also put his / her fingers in my beer to drink it. This was right in front of us. it also did a poo next to the jacuzzi, which was never cleaned.
The meals are quite good. On Friday nights the Thai restaurant puts on a dance show. Best to book a table, near the front, for this, if you want to go and see. The show was good, though the view was a bit limited, by the front right pillar on the stage, which partially blocked the view. The Thai buffet they put on (friday nights) was good. A good selection of Thai food. We also tried the Japanese restaurant. This had wagyu beef on the menu, but it was served in strips, not as a whole steak. It was nice, but for the price I had better in Bangkok. They also served mouth watering pork belly which i would recommend. The breakfast was ok, though no western sausage or mushroom. There are hundreds of fish swimming next to where breakfast is, which is nice. ( they like bread rolls by trhe way! ).
Sometimes the meals at the hotel, were not brought to the table at the same time. This can be a bit annoying, as you can be waiting up to 10 minutes to be fully served. (this was in the international restaurant). When you order a drink it can also take anything from 5 to 15 minutes to arrive, but it was mostly quite quick.
We used the hotel offer of 'free money', and deposited 30,000 THB and the hotel gave us 50,000 THB to spend. We used the extra 20,000 at the spa which was quite good. I had 2 massages and an anti ageing treatment. one of the massages was not very good. I had to tell the lady five times i wanted gentle not hard. This sort of ruined my massage. My wife and daughter had their nails done, manicure and facials.
We went to the hotel at the end of July. It was suppose to be the rainy season. It never rained, and was never cloudy. In the very early morning, 6-9am there is a gentle cooling sea breeze, which saw the day in nicely.
Overall this is a very good hotel and I was happy with my stay.
Did we go out of the hotel? No. We stayed here 5 nights in total. Would we come back again? To Krabi, yes, to the hotel? Possibly, though i would like to try different hotels in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden away in secluded Pai Plong Bay and surrounded by emerald waters and a luxuriant national park, this five-star beachfront resort is a tropical paradise for those seeking a romantic hideaway or a relaxing stay with their family. The resort instils an air of understated luxury with generously-sized rooms and private villas ranging in size from 72 to 399 square metres and offering the option of garden or ocean views, an outdoor Jacuzzi, or a plunge pool. Designed in modern Thai style, with high ceilings, spacious living areas dominated by wooden accents, stone features and soothing colours, the rooms and villas are calm oases. Accessible by boat only, the resort offers an abundance of opportunities to relax and explore. To name a few: unwind with blissful spa treatments at Spa Cenvaree, savour Thai, Japanese, and International cuisines at one of the four restaurants, enjoy complimentary water sports (kayaking, sailing, paddle boarding – the first hour is free), lounge by one of the swimming pools while the kids are kept busy at the kids clubs, enjoy carefree days on the white sands of Pai Plong Bay. With warm waters with extraordinary underwater visibility, beautiful coral formations and an exotic marine life, the Andaman Sea is a tropical paradise for diving enthusiasts and those with a longing for more holiday thrills. The experts at the resort’s PADI dive centre provide everything that is needed for beginners, those with medium skills, and expert divers. Krabi International Airport is 40 minutes away from Nopparatthara pier which is approximately 15 minutes from the resort by boat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fastbooking, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Prestigia so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hotel Ao Nang
- Centara Grand Beach Resort And Villas
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Centara Grand Beach Krabi
- Central Krabi Hotel
- Central Krabi Bay Resort
- Central Bay Resort Krabi
- Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi Ao Nang