“A Lovely Stay”

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We arranged for a hotel taxi to collect us from Krabi airport. ( July 2012 ). By the time we got on the boat, to take us to the hotel, it was dark - which was a shame, as the hotel is located in a beautiful setting. (Thai Air cancelled the earlier flight). The only way in or out of the hotel is by boat (or the monkey trail).

After the boat ride we landed on a jetty, about 50 meters out into the sea, which can at times be like a roller coaster ride if there are many waves. If you have problems with your balance or have trouble walking you will find it difficult to get ashore. Just remember to stand still if a wave is coming and you will be fine. I didnt like walking on it.

We were soon in our room, which was adequate. We were 2 adults and 2 children, and had one extra bed in the room for the little ones. The room size was good, though could have done with a king size bed for us. The bed and pillows were comfortable.

The toilet in the room was small, though the bath area was large. There is a blind next to the toilet, and you have to make sure it is set correctly, so anyone living or walking opposite the toilet cannot see you having a wee. The people living opposite us failed to do this, so you have been warned !!. The water pressure was good in the shower. The internet however was very slow, and a disappointment. I wanted to watch streamed programmes on my computer but could not get past the first screen. I paid about 500 THB for 4 or 5 days which was reasonable, though why cant it be free?? It costs next to nothing to provide internet to each room. There was a short up hill walk to the room from the main areas of the hotel, but this was ok, and was good exercise.

The hotel is in a nature reserve. The surroundings are stunning. Huge cliffs on one side, towering over 500 feet high or more. On the other side, the sea. You can only get to the hotel by boat or by the monkey trail, which is a 20 minute walk around the cliffs. This leads to some small shops I believe. The monkey trail gets it's name from the resident monkeys, which live in an area of trees by the monkey trail. They sleep in the trees at night and can venture into the hotel during the day. They normally stay in the trees though, so you may not always see them. One monkey came onto our balcony and took my wife's packet of crisps straight from her hand. The same monkey then sat down and ate the crisps from the bag, and also put his / her fingers in my beer to drink it. This was right in front of us. it also did a poo next to the jacuzzi, which was never cleaned.

The meals are quite good. On Friday nights the Thai restaurant puts on a dance show. Best to book a table, near the front, for this, if you want to go and see. The show was good, though the view was a bit limited, by the front right pillar on the stage, which partially blocked the view. The Thai buffet they put on (friday nights) was good. A good selection of Thai food. We also tried the Japanese restaurant. This had wagyu beef on the menu, but it was served in strips, not as a whole steak. It was nice, but for the price I had better in Bangkok. They also served mouth watering pork belly which i would recommend. The breakfast was ok, though no western sausage or mushroom. There are hundreds of fish swimming next to where breakfast is, which is nice. ( they like bread rolls by trhe way! ).

Sometimes the meals at the hotel, were not brought to the table at the same time. This can be a bit annoying, as you can be waiting up to 10 minutes to be fully served. (this was in the international restaurant). When you order a drink it can also take anything from 5 to 15 minutes to arrive, but it was mostly quite quick.

We used the hotel offer of 'free money', and deposited 30,000 THB and the hotel gave us 50,000 THB to spend. We used the extra 20,000 at the spa which was quite good. I had 2 massages and an anti ageing treatment. one of the massages was not very good. I had to tell the lady five times i wanted gentle not hard. This sort of ruined my massage. My wife and daughter had their nails done, manicure and facials.

We went to the hotel at the end of July. It was suppose to be the rainy season. It never rained, and was never cloudy. In the very early morning, 6-9am there is a gentle cooling sea breeze, which saw the day in nicely.

Overall this is a very good hotel and I was happy with my stay.

Did we go out of the hotel? No. We stayed here 5 nights in total. Would we come back again? To Krabi, yes, to the hotel? Possibly, though i would like to try different hotels in the area.

Room Tip: a sea view would be nice
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Kunahs

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and detailed information on this forum following your recent stay with us.

I appreciate your comments on the toilet blinds and in fact we are considering a more permanent solution from the outside so guests don’t need to think about this.

The monkeys as I have mentioned on various occasions on this forum are a challenge and as the resort is located within their habitat (the national park) we also need to be some how sensitive how we behave around them.

I have noted your comments about meal delivery in the international restaurant and will follow this up with our food and beverage director.

The Baht bonanza scheme you mention has been a very successful initiative introduced by Centara and I am pleased to read you took good advantage of this.

You were very fortunate with the weather and in fact we have had very little rain in the past month.

Once again many thanks for your comments and trust we may get the possibility to welcome you back when you are next in Krabi

Best regards David Martens

Reviewed 29 July 2012

The resort is located within a national park, accessible by boat from Krabi town. The location of this resort is breathtaking and we loved waking up to the beautiful view and sound of the waves each morning.

We were a little hesitant booking this resort as it had mixed reviews but we are so glad we did. We stayed in a deluxe ocean facing room and were perched in a great spot at the end of resort facing the ocean. The rooms were spacious and represent a typical four star resort.

The resort had its own, large private beach which was lovely and well kept. It was peaceful and the setting enveloped between the limestone rocks is a wonderful experience. Plenty of deck chairs around the pool and along the beach front. The beach next door is Railey Beach, one of the best beaches in the area - amazing. You can kayak over or hire a long tail as we did. We also captured some of the best sunsets in Thailand.

A highlight of the resort was the Japanese restaurant. The food was superb with a fresh and innovative menu.....we went back three times on our trip. It’s not cheap but its what you would pay at home so not expensive in our opinion either. The Thai restaurant was good and beach dining was typical resort fare.

We took the Monkey trail to and from Krabi town on two occasions, for us it was an adventure but we are fit and in our 30's. I wouldnt recommend the monkey trail for children or older people who aren’t fit. In saying that, we never had a problem booking the resort boat to get to and from town which was free and ran approx. every hour. If you miss the resort boat a shared long tail boat from Krabi town costs 100 BAHT per person - approx.$4.00 AUD.

Service was great, we never encountered a problem. Check in smooth and the staff helpful. Breakfast had a great selection, something for everyone.

We didnt think much of Krabi town and were very pleased we booked this resort for its beautiful and secluded surroundings. There were lots of couples and honeymooners which we liked, not to many young children. If your looking for all night bars though, this isn’t the place for you. We stayed 4 nights and this was the perfect amount of time before we started to become restless and wanting more action.

We would rate the resort 4 star overall, some maintenance is needed but you would expect that for a resort nestled around nature and the ocean. We would return in a heartbeat for a relaxed and peaceful break. Dont hesitate book this resort.

Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tez99
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed at this beautiful resort with my 2 daughters (5 & 7 at the time) and my adult nephew for 8 days in October '11, and it was without a doubt the best resort experience I've had in Thailand to date - and it was my 5th trip to the country! We arrived late in the night in a terrible storm, and the boat trip and walk to the beach via the floating jetty was an experience none of us have forgotten or ceased to talk and laugh about! Frightening, as the jetty was rolling like a 3 metre wave, but the staff physically assisted everyone so efficiently that within minutes we were all safely on the beach, and our luggage had been kept dry and was delivered safely into the resort, and on to our rooms. We were immediately upgraded to a Premium Deluxe Ocean Facing Room, up the hill and overlooking the amazing view of the sea. The beds were luxurious, the room was large, well designed and had everything we needed, including great storage. The bathroom was gorgeous, with sliding walls so that you could open it right up if you were enjoying a relaxing bath. There were 2 balconies, one at the entrance for the room which was covered and private, with a table and chairs, and a lounge; the other at the front, with 2 sun lounges, with fantastic views and a lovely breeze. A great place for an afternoon cocktail!
All of the staff were wonderful (the room attendants were especially lovely!) - relaxed, friendly, extremely professional and efficient. Nothing was too much trouble, and they seemed happy to go that little bit further all the time to make our stay perfect.
The restaurants were excellent - we ate at Rim Saai thai restaurant 3 nights (which I don't usually do when staying in resorts, as I like to get out into town to experience the night life); the poolside On the Rocks cafe offered excellent food for lunch; and the breakfast buffet at Lotus Court was a highlight of every day - a great variety of European and Asian food and beverages (including a fresh jug of soy milk supplied daily - something we noted and really appreciated), and they made excellent espresso coffee to order.
We had read a lot about the monkey trail, and were very curious to try it for ourselves. Yes - it's a rickety timber path/staircase/ladder, with a couple of steep parts (with fabulous views of the coast), but there is a handrail all the way, and the path is well maintained (though at first it doesn't appear that way!) as all the resort staff use this track daily for convenient access to and from their work. There are often huge groups of monkeys on the track or in the trees surrounding it - once we were 'held up' for a few minutes by a particularly large group that we couldn't get around, but they are generally not aggressive. They will, however, come at you daringly for plastic bags as they know we usually carry food in them - I just spun around and shouted at the one that climbed at me, and it went away like a naughty child. Once over the hill, you can either step down onto the beach and walk into Ao Nang town that way, though often you have to wade across shallow water; or walk further around the hill, through the staffs' scooter parking area and along some dirt roads, offering some much needed shade for our walk at the time - which is the way were always chose. My young girls were fine with the monkey trail and we chose to do it daily - for the exercise, and the convenience of going into town whenever we wished. We also walked it in the evening as there are lights all the way along the track, so we often went into town in the afternoon for a massage, would have some laundry done (about 20 baht a kilo I think), dinner in one of the many excellent restaurants, and then back for the peace and isolation of our very private beach resort.
My nephew and I went to the funky Deep BLU Bar & Lounge one night, which played some decent tunes and the atmosphere was fun. It was great relaxing with a cocktail on the comfy lounges whilst watching the fish in the oversized tank!
The monkeys accessing rooms is definitely something to take seriously. It didn't happen to us, but not without their regular determined attempts! And we woke one morning to a monkey sucking on a vodka soaked lime which we'd left out on the balcony table overnight! But it happened to many others whilst we were there - they are 'breaking and entering' experts - so keep the screen and glass doors locked at all times when away from the room or whilst sleeping!
All in all, it was a perfect stay at Centara Grand. I have absolutely no complaints to report, and I have recommended it to many friends as either a romantic couples retreat, or a great family holiday. My daughters constantly beg for us to return, and I'm truly looking forward to our next time there in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank MimK666
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We have recently returned from an 8 day stay at the centara and were very impressed with the whole experience. I would like to give special mention to the staff, who are some of the most helpful and welcoming that I have encountered. Singling out individuals would be inappropriate as all played their part in making our stay special.

The weather wasn't great when we were there (something we had fully anticipated having booked during the rainy season) but it failed to overshadow the quality of the hotel and great food available in the nearby town of ao-nang. When we had the energy we would walk a bit further into the town (just 20 minutes walk once across the "monkey trail") and would be rewarded with some great food for very low prices (around 80 baht per dish).

The room was outstanding - it exceeded my expectations in every way. The "ocean view" was just that, the room layout was novel and quirky and my wife and I were able to relax on the balcony without hearing any other sound than that of nature. I'm not sure if this was because of the relatively low occupancy during our stay but it made for a highly relaxing environment.

The resort was well maintained but at the same time had a very natural look and feel. I have rarely looked forward to the breakfast during hotel visits but the variety and quality of the food in the restaurant is fantastic and we particularly enjoyed eating outdoors because the water features and general layout are very pleasing to the eye.

Much has been said about the "monkey trail" which provides access to ao-nang, both good and bad. I agree that care must be taken, especially when navigating it at night, but I would argue that at least during the day, there is a hand rail and the incline and decline are brief, so it doesn't cause any real problems for the fit and healthy. I would point out that once off the monkey trail, you have to either pass across a small stretch of water (ankle-knee deep depending on time) running through a beach front, or alternatively follow a path through a forest area. The torch provided by the hotel in each room is pretty essential for the latter and it can be a bit unnerving first time around! I personally enjoyed this route to ao-nang but I can imagine that many would opt for the hospital shuttle boat which was pretty much available whenever we required it.

The only negative aspect of our stay was witnessing some young lads at the security lodge (start of the monkey trail) firing stones from catapultsat the monkeys. They tried to do this discretely but it was nonetheless, unpleasant to watch, cruel and something I think the hotel management should investigate further as I suspect other guests will not like to see it. I should point out however that this took place outside the hotel complex and is thus probably difficult for the hotel to police.

In summary, this is a well run, very beautiful hotel and I would recommend it to all.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Dear dancarless

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us.

We were all pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for specifically mentioning the staff and the great breakfast buffet.

I acknowledge your comment about the security staff with the monkeys and will monitor this further.

Once again many thanks for your recognition and look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We had a great holiday at centara and the service was perfect!

The rooms are really beautiful and with the balcony space, we had enough in a double room for our two kids and us (2 x queen beds). The shower / bathroom was big enough for us all to shower at the same time!

A few helpful tips;-
- The food at the resort was absolutely delicious and very high quality and we went to all restaurants (except the Japanese one), however, if you need to budget a little, walk over the monkey trail (about a 15 minute walk) and you are in the neighbouring town and you can have a cheap meal. We walked it with our two kids and it was fine (although don’t carry any plastic bags as the monkeys think that you are going to feed them!)

- The kids club was pretty good and they did different activities every day and we didn't need to book (we put our kids, 4 & 5 in for an hour each day but you could choose some more activities if you wanted some more time for yourself

- Definitely book to include breakfast (the buffet was to die for and had everything you could want)

- We ended up in a room on top of the hill so quite a steep walk to and from our room, so if you don't like that idea as for a room near the restaurants / beach

- Make sure you keep your room locked (not just the main door but the door to your room, we got raided by Monkeys and they ate stuff from the mini bar (although the staff were really nice about it, cleaned it all up and didn't make us pay for anything)

I would definitely go here again and/or other Centara resorts!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the restaurant / pool / beach if you don't like climbing up a hill to yo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear sarah o

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts following your recent stay with us.
It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed the restaurant food and the room was to your liking.
I was also happy to see that that the kids club was able to keep your children occupied whilst you had some time to yourself.
Yes the monkeys are a challenge are we are constantly trying to ensure they don’t bother our guests too much, however as the resort is built in their habitat it is difficult to control.
Once again thank you for your support and recognition and we hope we see you again when you are next in Krabi.
Kind regards, David Martens

8.7 km away
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort
11.8 km away
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK