“best little resort on earth”
Review of Pine Bungalow

Pine Bungalow
Ranked #32 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
comox valley, bc
“best little resort on earth”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I ventured here on recommendation of a fellow traveler in Malaysia in spring of 2008. We thought we would just stay a couple of nights but ended our 6 month vacation by spending 26 days here before heading back to Canada. WE LOVE THE PINE BUNGALOWS. The main reason we stayed so long was the great open air restaurant with delicious and affordable food. cheap beer, western and thai food, and we could run a tab for the whole time. We had a cute bungalow just steps to the private beach with a hammock and chairs on our "patio" that was about $12 per night. The staff are fantastic and laid back, and funny. We were very sorry to hear of SongPong's death (snake bite) last year (2011?). There were lots of fun canadians, finnish, danish, etc. travelers staying long term while we were there too who we still talk with! Hours of backgammon, skinny dipping at 2am, beach parties, renting scooters, boat trips, and thai chicken curries are my favorite memories. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank EatWell2014
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed here in 1992 and then came back with our three kids in December 2011. It still has the friendly relaxed atmosphere it had 19 years ago. Our rooms were 500B for an older but decent double bed room and 600B for a newer larger one with twin beds. We also had on other matress put on the floor or our youngest (aged 10). The rooms were classic wonky concrete bungalows with mosquito netting on windows, pedestal fans, bathrooms with western toilets and cold showers. I have to say that traveling at this time of year without air con is fine and the lack of tv is refreshing. The beach is rocky and silty, but perfectly good for a swim at high tide. This was fine for us since, like most people, we only take a dip just for cooling off.

The beds are hard, as Thais like them. The food is good, especially the local seafood. Overall we are spending 1/4 of the money we were spending on Ko Lanta (although admittedly we had AC and TV and fridge etc) but having a more relaxing and memorable Thai experience.

They run island trips from the beach with their own longtail and can organise other activities. The kids went nuts on the table tennis.

I was not sure how to score the location since for some it will be perfect but for others not social enough or too rocky. For me it is perfect so I will rate it according to my taste. The bungalows are all in a great jungle sort of garden.

Popular with German and French speakers.

We have travelled to Thailand 8 times, 5 times with kids, and would recommend this place for a low key, safe, thai bungalow experience. I would come back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Daniel M
Manila
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Our pickup van dropped us off another pitstop that looked like a make-shift travel agency slash open-air convenience store. Other backpackers were already sitting around waiting for their ride. A friendly and welcoming Thai lady will approached us and asked us if we already had a place to stay in Krabi; we said we were looking for options. She immediately brings out this brochure for Pine Bungalow. I immediately smelled a tie-up but the other backpacker dude told us that's where he just stayed and it was great. Schatzi asked me if it was alright, I asked the backpacker dude "How are the bathrooms?" This is my make it or break it question. He said it was OK showing us pics of the place on his Kodak camera. Now I know there's this "backpacker's code" of some sort wherein you trust each other coz you would never recommend a bad place but I just wanted to be sure.

The Pine Bungalow truck came to pick us up and off we went passing through some awesome views of Limestone cliffs, Elephant farms and cozy countryside scenery. The place is about 30 minutes from town, quite a change from the bustling city streets. We arrived safe & sound and were greeted by a warm & friendly staff. We were checked in one of the Bungalows without A/C and it looked exactly like it was in the pictures. Ours had a lounge chair outside, a sliding door with matching giant padlock. The room had a double bed (WARNING: Looks comfy but is NOT! Makes for back pains when you wake up), clothes rack, an stand fan and a sink & mirror. In the bathroom there was a handheld shower, toilet, a water pail and tabo (Filipino term for bath ladle). NO hot water here. It was nice & clean and sparse, but the surrounding area makes up for the rooms. The place was filled with so much flaura and fauna it seemed pretty to me. With the huts just a few meters away from the beach (light brown sand with a few pebbles here & there), you could either wade around the clean water, you can opt to bask in the sun (you CAN go topless but remember Krabi is a Muslim town, so i suggest you keep your junk in your trunk), read a book at the Nipa Hut or take a nap on one of the hammocks.

As for the food, I don't think you can ever go wrong when in Thailand. The menu comprises mostly Thai cuisine and Western staples I highly-recommend you try their catch of the day, Green Chicken curry (with lotsa fresh veggies) and of course, their version of the Tom Yum Goong. It's the perfect meal to wash down with a tall glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice or your trusty big bottle of Chang.

Pine Bungalow also has an Internet nook (NOT to be mistaken for a wi-fi available area as the staff otherwise says), a ping-pong area and a big dining area that cozily fits about 40-50 guests I assume. You can also put their "information board" to good use as it maps out places you can visit around Krabi or customized trips to the surrounding islands. Very very convenient. Whatever your need, be it motorbike rentals, boat or ticket reservations, times of departure, the old Thai guy (I think he is the Manager but I couldn't catch his name) or one of the many resort staff members will be happy to oblige.

Overall, I would recommend this place to any tired & weary traveler who wants to recharge a few days before moving on to his/her next adventure. Just remember to test the bed before you say yes to the room!

Happy & Safe Travels!