“Anniversary celebration”

Washingborough Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washingborough
Reviewed 10 March 2012

What a perfect place to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Room, food, service all excellent. Blessed with good weather we took advantage of hiring bicycles directly from the hotel and cycled into Lincoln - a great way to see the city however we did need to push the bikes up to the cathedral as it's a bit of a steep hill. We then took advantage of the excellent (flat!) cycle routes around and about returning to the hotel in time for tea and cake in the garden
We will definitely return - hopefully soon!

Room Tip: Room 20 was fab
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMM942
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Washingborough Hall Country House Hotel

Reviewed 9 March 2012

PROS,Very well situated in lovely quiet surroundings,Greeted by friendly staff which continued throughout our stay,well prepared meals proved to be very tasty,hotel public areas were generally clean and cosy what one expects of a country house hotel.Good value break dealt with hotel direct.
CONS,Bedroom lacked generous cupboard space,the twin bed mattresses had to be changed the springs dug into my wife,mine was just worn out!The bedside lamp bulb was missing,the bathroom tiles and grouting were not clean.Check the hotel facilities we missed the dog welcome part.The dog we saw was scrubbing along the landing carpet(Ugh)From a hygiene point of view I cannot understand why animals are allowed in some hotels.Afraid that precludes a revisit to this hotel.

Room Tip: Always ask to see your room first before unpacking
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ferryhillvillage
Washyhall1, Owner at Washingborough Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry your bedroom didn't live up to expectations. The bedroom you stayed in has now been fully refurbished and therefore no dirty grouting!

We are pleased to welcome well behaved dogs in our hotel. They are not permitted in all bedrooms and we are not responsible for their actions or behaviour. Our excellent housekeeping standards speak for themselves.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

A lovely old house sympathetically updated to a very high standard. Very friendly attentive staff made for a great stay. Superb dinner, and a great breakfast to round it off. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 2 March 2012

This Grade ll listed Georgian Country House dating back to the early 1700's was a real joy to see when driving down the gravel driveway after a long day of meetings.

The welcome I recieved was vey warm and genuine. Check in was very simple and I was asked if I wanted help with my luggage to the top floor.

I only stayed for one night and booked a single room via one of the Internet last minuite sites etc. The room itself was on the top floor and in keeping with the style of the property had a sloping ceiling. The decor was also very tasteful. The wardrobe was perhaps the smallest I have seen and ended up hanging my suite on the hook on the bedroom door.

The bathroom was exceptional clean and was also styled in an appropriate manner. Nice selection of crisp white towels including a face cloth. Quality toiletries were also available.

The only faults with the bathroom was its shape. There was no wall mounted shower, only a shower fitting attached to the taps. The reason that there was no wall mounted shower was due to the unusual shape of the sloping ceiling. If your of medium height you probably would not be able to stand up without banging your head. Ended up have a morning bath instead, which was quite nice.

The other issue with the bathroom was not having a mirror directly above the wash basin. Particularly a problem if you wet shave. However, if you turned to your left a full size mirror was present with a power socket for an electric shaver.

The available Wi-Fi was very tempromental and I ended up abandoning the work I had planed that evening.

Enjoyed a very relaxing meal in the bar. I selected a simple beef pie with veg & fries. This meal was one of the best I have tasted for some time. The waiter/barman was very helpful and chatty. Exceptional customer service with nothing too much trouble.

Will definitely be returning in the future for a relaxing weekend. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank krustyvab
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I feel it is really important to write this review as I would hate for anyone else to be put in my position and that honest reviews must be available on this website.

My fiancee and I booked Washingborough Hall for our wedding last year after really struggling to find another venue in our local area. We were shown round by a really lovely, friendly and polite receptionist who answered all our questions. She gave what is a lovely building a happy atmosphere and assured us our needs could be met by Washingborough Hall. We booked and paid a hefty deposit.

A few weeks ago as our wedding hit the '6 months to go' mark the owner and self appointed 'wedding co-ordinater' Lucy, emailed me to arrange a meeting to sort out details of our wedding. We wanted to include our parents in these decisions so brought them along too. During this meeting I felt incredibly uncomfortable as Lucy was rude to my mother when she requested that we might set up an example table to show the staff who would be setting up in the morning where everything was to go. Lucy clearly didn't like this idea and it took a good 5 minutes for her to back down and accept we wanted to know beforehand how the tables were going to look! This meeting did not get any easier...my little sister and bridesmaid has very specific dietary requirements and when asked if she could have just plain pasta for her meal this was classed as 'bespoke' and we were made to feel like Lucy was really pushing the boat out for us. It was plain pasta. The final straw at this meeting came when my fiancee dared to suggested that we served coffee and Iced Tea after our meal as I, the bride, don't drink tea or coffee but love iced tea. Again, this took an inordinate amount a persuading and we were made to feel uncomfortable for even suggesting it as it's 'not normally done'. So much for flexibility!

A couple of weeks on I was trying to sort out booking the rooms (All of which you have to take if you want music at your wedding) when I noticed you could book the rooms for a significantly lower rate both the week before and after our Monday wedding. Admittedly these prices did not include breakfast but they we still significantly cheaper. I emailed Lucy to query this and ask whether, as the rooms could clearly be discounted from rack rate in advance, we might be able to work out a deal as we were already spending so much money at Washingborough Hall on a Monday. Her reply was both unhelpful and unmoving on the room rates. We were going to have to 'like it or lump it' and pay full rack rate. No negotiation.

With her uncompromising emails and curtness at our meeting we felt less and less like our wedding mattered to Lucy. Any deviation from the absolute standard weddings done before was either impossible or took a lot of persuading! It was even thrown back at us that we were not having an evening buffet - sorry Lucy but we don't much like finger food!!

It was at this point we decided enough was enough, we read some other reviews from brides on this website and decided that there was a rater sizeable possibility that Lucy's attitude and demeanour could ruin our wedding day and once that's done there is no going back! Now Lucy had already stated in previous emails that we could have our deposit back - clearly she wasn't fussed about keeping our business - so I emailed her a very polite message explaining why we would be cancelling our wedding at Washingborough Hall and requesting our deposit back. I awaited a response. Unfortunately our wedding or concerns were clearly not worth her time and I am still awaiting a response. A cheque for our deposit arrived in a blank envelope, Lucy had obviously received my email and taken the decision it was not worth a reply.

We are so glad we cancelled our wedding at Washingborough Hall and our fears were proven right with Lucy's response (or lack thereof!) to my email. We look forward to our wedding at our beautiful new reception venue!

• Stayed: February 2012
9  Thank EmilyClaira
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

It is fair to say that sometimes we can not work with some people. When faced with agressive and intimidating behaviour we will turn business away. Blackmail is also something we will not tolerate in any shape or form.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washingborough
4.8 km away
3.2 km away
Branston Hall Hotel
Branston Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston

Been to Washingborough Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK