“Warm welcome nice lunch”

Butley Orford Oysterage
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Orford
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 14 February 2018

Super staff - very willing to help and make you feel very welcome in a lovely simple but immaculate atmosphere.

Food was good although the fish platter was just missing, we felt. Mussels are so cheap and yet we just got two, one sardine (though lovely), several cold prawns and squid. Also a little tight on the prawns in the scallop.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed 10 February 2018

Popped in without a reservation at 7 pm - thankfully we weren't any later or there wouldn't have been any tables! Shared the smoked fish pate, then the salmon and husband had the crusted cod which he rated out of this world. Finished off by sharing a divine apple and marzipan tart - lovely. Very well priced glass of merlot and Bobs your uncle. A great meal! Slightly expensive but very good. Very bright lighting - so no lingering at the table!

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

First - a confession - I’ve been coming here for pretty much my entire life (or for as long as I can remember anyway) - so I like this place a lot and I also am probably very biased!!!.

As a child growing up in the 70s “Pinneys” (as it was always known) was always a treat to look forward to - and as an adult my view hasn’t changed - in my opinion this is one of the best but most unassuming fish restaurants in the world. I’m pleased to say that my children now love it as well!

Outstanding seafood sums it up. The only issue is that a single visit really isn’t enough to try all the wonderful dishes on offer. About three large lunches or dinners means one can cover most things....

The oysters are amazing. Large, sweet and expertly shucked. Thinly sliced smoked salmon with brown bread and butter, a squeeze of lemon and some pepper always seems infinitely better than any smoked salmon I have ever had elsewhere. Specials on my must try list include the potted brown shrimp in butter, the griddled squid (or indeed the mixed griddled selection of a large sardine, garlic mussels, prawns and squid), the mussels, the skate in butter, and the (massive) piece of herb crusted cod. Order a Suffolk lobster if it is on the board - seriously - in my view it squares up to and even surpasses fresh Maine lobster without issue (sorry Maine but it does...). The fish pie is stunning but sells out super fast so don’t bank on it being there.

Mains generally all come with new potatoes and bread from the Woodbridge cake shop - nothing else. There are no chips. I love the fact that there are no chips. My children hurumphed the first time that they heard that there were no chips but then got over it when they discovered the smoked salmon. My wife also gently commented about the lack of vegetables - and she probably has a valid point - but it’s always been that way (as an aside there is always a fresh salad with excellent new potatoes as a decent vegetarian option).

From memory and other visits - other dishes that are also superbly executed include oyster soup, angels on horseback, taramasalata, 1/2 pint of prawns, crab, sea bass...it’s all good.

I’d also make the comment that many of the dishes on offer, while simple, are unique - almost everything on offer is from the local river or brought in by the restaurants two fishing boats - and nothing beats really, really fresh fish.

Wine list: white focused, nothing particularly fancy but very well priced and include a couple of excellent English options including a couple of decent Stavertons. Good selection of different Apple juices as well.

Deserts: I invariably go for the Rum Cake with whipped cream - a delectable sponge generously soaked in Rum - it’s probably enough by itself to challenge legal driving, but it’s so, so good - everything else is almost certainly excellent, but I’ve never really felt like trying anything else....

Nearby - after lunch stagger up the top of the keep of Orford castle and enjoy the magnificent view. Or wander down to the quay and look over to the lighthouse (soon, I hear to sadly to be lost to climate change and the rising sea) and the old radar installations, and buy some salmon from the smokehouse to take home, or simply walk somewhere randomly and take in the wonderful Suffolk countryside.

In 40 or so years to me at least Pinney’s has been unchanging - firmly focused on serving perfectly prepared fresh seafood with as little fuss as possible. And I’m so glad that it hasn’t changed - I’ve been to all sorts of complicated fish restaurants around the world and had some really fun experiences but from the purist perspective nothing beats the Butley Oysterage.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank JCW1993
Reviewed 22 January 2018

No fuss, simple dining which lets the fish do the talking - lively and buzzing atmosphere - enjoy our visits here.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

No pretensions but great fresh and local food with good wine selection and excellent service .will be returning

Date of visit: January 2018