All reviews scones old english beautiful english log fire english charm cameron highlands english cottage beef wellington afternoon tea beautiful garden tudor style main building old world quaint hotel golf course complimentary breakfast morning breakfast
Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

It’s a good place for having hi tea. Their jam was delicious and the cream was fresh. Their scone was warm also. The garden was so nice. I didn’t quite like the inside table place because it was too dark for me. Overall it’s a good place to have a good talk with our partner.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thevanayagi
Reviewed 7 April 2018

Undoubtedly the most beautiful hotel grounds in the Cameron Highlands, and most likely the surrounding area for miles around, if you are a Brit, you're going to feel right at home here. The gardens surrounding the hotel are a destination in themselves, perhaps the best one in the highlands, except for perhaps the Mossy Forrest and the Tea Plantation. .Back inside the common areas, the lobby, bar, lounge, and restaurant, you'd think you were back in the English countryside. Exquisitely appointed, there is nothing to fault. Dining in the restaurant in the evening is quite delightful and perhaps the best place to eat in the area. The complimentary breakfast in the morning is just OK. A set menu, the same everyday, is limited and just adequate, nothing that's going to get you excited about getting out of bed in the morning. The attention to detail given to the grounds and the common areas does not extend to the rooms however. Rather plain and nondescript, it was difficult to tell if the room furnishings displayed some sort of antique patina or just simply needed maintenance or cleaned. Beds were on the firm side, more of the standard here in Malaysia. The bathroom was another story. Stepping from the bedroom into the bathroom, was like taking a portal from early 20th century England to a late 20th century Motel 6. Quite a contrast. Enough said, I think. All things considered, I'd recommend the Smokehouse to everyone, the service was excellent, and my wife found the garden grounds one of the highlights of her Malaysian experience.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We only dined at the Smokehouse Hotel, and we had a nice experience. We were asked to step in to the bar, were we sat down in front of the fireplace, with a real log fire. We were then given the menus and were told that the waiter would call us when the dinner was ready. Meanwhile we enjoyed our glasses of wine.
The Sirloin steak for 72 Rm was fine, the grilles salmon for 70 Rm tasted well, but the portion was rather small.
Staff was very attentive and the service was excellent.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights whilst visiting the Cameron Highlands. I found this place online initially as a food venue and then my boyfriends grandmother showed me some pictures from her time in Malaysia and I saw it again. I then immediately looked into booking as our hotel.

It is honestly my favorite hotel I have even been too, everything about it is perfect.

The setting is beautiful, the building itself is amazing and the award winning gardens are stunning.

The staff and wonderful they are so friendly and attentive, nothing is too much for them. They speak great English and it’s clear they go above and beyond for their guests.

We wanted to do a trip and the lovely lady at reception arranged this all for us, it was a great trip and was just hassle free.

The only small criticism that I have is if you’re planning on staying here try to ensure you get a room in the main hotel building. Ours was in a building called Halcyon the room was beautiful it’s just I think it might have been damp and with the windows shut at night it smells really strong and is quite hard to breath, I woke up feeling very chesty. But I am sure you wouldn’t have this issue in the main building.

Although the room wasn’t as we’d have expected we would still recommend this hotel 100% and if we are ever coming back to the Cameron Highlands we will definitely be booking here!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Good points:

- (nothing)

Bad points:

- Location: the hotel is too far to walk downtown but too close from the town to feel you are close to the nature
- Rooms: old style, without charm and not comfortable
- Shower: unable to have 2 hot showers in a row...
- Restaurant: bad service, one it took them 45 minutes to serve us an English breakfast (yes, I know, crazy)
- Staff: not very friendly (out of 5-6 employees we dealt with, only 1 guy was friendly)

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple