All reviews george cooper peacock suite tea plantation sri lanka tamarind suite dining pavilion koggala lake outdoor shower boutique hotel our honeymoon his team private terrace galle fort sister hotel infinity pool curry tuk tuk
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

It is totally worth it. The Dubu suite is a Javanese structure with a beautifully carved wooden ceiling, extremely spacious, tastefully decorated and completely private with a garden in the front and back of the suite complete with pool and a wonderful tree. Peaceful and plenty of nature to help you relax. The staff were lovely. Management very impressive because they handled our visit so well (got me a cake for my bday by simply noticing the date on my ID) and overall delivered a great stay. We will be back

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2017

Stayed here with a large group (10 people) for two nights. The location is really beautiful. The architecture and decor are on point. All the villas are nice and spacious, with private pools in two of them. The beds are comfortable. The open-air bathroom is a nice touch, but when it rains, even the covered area can get wet, which is not so nice when you want to use the bathroom early in the morning. Also, I was a bit surprised to see that they did not provide some basic amenities like a toothbrush or toothpaste.

The food was really good, and served fast. I understand it can be challenging to serve a large group, especially when all of them order different meals. But I believe the staff rose to this challenge very well. All of our meals were very good and brought to the table on time.

The service, while very quick and responsive, came off as a bit too timid. Perhaps they were being very respectful, but I'd have prefered the staff to be a bit more friendly and forthcoming.

Overall, had a very nice experience here.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Kosala L
Reviewed 10 October 2017

We arrived at this hotel as part of a company retreat. Our party occupied 5 suites and consisted of 10 people.

This is a lovely property that is not too far away from the Imaduwa exit. The road leading from the turnoff point to the hotel is somewhat narrow but decent.

Hotel grounds and garden: The hotel sits on a 12 acre tea estate which is carefully landscaped to allow for a more authentic natural setting.

The architecture and layout of the hotel has been beautifully planned out so that guests are immersed in the natural environs, albeit probably a little too immersed during sudden monsoonal showers!. The Koggala lake can be glimpsed through the trees from certain places but there really is no satisfactory view of it from any part of the hotel.

Since this is on the top of a hill, the grounds slope up and down towards the rooms which are at different levels, with jagged stone steps leading to them; not quite elderly friendly.

Some paths were rather poorly lit at night as some of the garden lights were either not switched on, or malfunctioning.

Room: My husband and I stayed in the Araliya suite which is on the northern side of the property and has mainly a jungle/tea estate view.

Positives - the room is quite spacious and the decor is quite interesting with antique chests, brass bells and carved candlesticks which gave the room character. The bed was comfortable and big and my favourite was the bookcase filled with a variety of interesting books!

Negatives - My first concern was when I noticed a long line of black ants in the bathroom which I pointed out and they were cleared immediately. Unfortunately I later noticed more black ants emerging from a picture frame in the toilet and discovered a massive colony inhabiting the otherwise charming and well-stocked bookcase. I never quite recovered from this bad impression.
In addition the shower had no door which meant the whole bathroom got wet. The mat next to the bathroom sink was also quite old and dirty. The walk-in closet was dusty with cobwebs on the clothes-hangers. The room smelt musty, and overall, felt like it had been hastily put together for us; this did not reflect well on their housekeeping standards. They did get rid of the ants after I complained, so that was good.

Food: lunch was Sri Lankan style and offered as a buffet as our party consisted of 10 people. The food was very good although somewhat lacking in spice. The cocktails were overall good. My favourite meal was dinner, where my barramundi was cooked to perfection. Breakfast was pretty good too. No complaints there!

The service: the staff consists of some very lovely and friendly people - Malsha, Henry, and Amila, who seem eager to please, but unfortunately lack training and proper oversight ensuring smooth operations. The wonderful staff are let down by not having sufficient guidance from the management, which is such a pity.

The manager of operations did pay us a visit during dinner to enquire about our experience. After I mentioned the ants and musty smell he offered a bottle of wine and skedaddled before I could bring up the other issues.
We later approached him, sat him down and had a cordial discussion of some of the issues which he listened to patiently and on the whole took the criticism rather well.

Overall, this is a great hotel in a lovely location which is let down by deficient management and poor maintenance. This is such a pity, as it is obvious that a great deal of care and attention to detail has gone into the design of this place. I am personally disappointed that such a lovely and unique property doesn’t have the service and maintenance it deserves.

Room tip: The Hibiscus is a great room. and the Peacock is the largest. The Araliya seems neglected.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Dinuka A
Reviewed 8 October 2017

If you're staying in Galle Fort or nearby, having the three-course lunch at KK in a not-t-be-missed experience. The restaurant is perched atop rainforest & Koggala Lake. With KK's beautiful landscaping, there are lovely vistas in all directions.

Our meal was very special. A set menu provides 3 choices for entree & main, and 4 for dessert.

I found it difficult to choose & would have been happy with any of the dishes on offer. Presentation was attractive, and all ingredients were incredibly fresh. My entree of pineapple salad with toasted almond slivers, fresh mint, garlic & pomegranate was light & tangy. Delicious pan-fried mahi mahi fish was served on a bed of stir-fried veg & potato rosti. A delectable coffee cheese cake, with sugared tea leaves was the perfect finish to the meal. We chose a bottle of Argentinian viognier to accompany the meal.

The set cost for the 3 course meal was good value for such fine dining in a breathtaking setting.

This was my second visit to the restaurant, and if we holiday in Galle Fort next year, we will certainly put lunch at KK on our itinerary once again. Or better still, perhaps, we will spend a few nights at the hotel.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2017

And the first reaction to the place was - Wow!

Beautiful setting, quiet, very attentive staff. The lunch area was set up on an elevated platform that looks down over the forest canopy. That cuts out the noise from the vehicles and almost makes you feel like you are miles inside a jungle.

The lunch was a three course set menu. And the chef was very gracious.

He personally walked out to the table to ask us about the tweaks to the set menu we'd requested. Three of the group of 4 were vegetarians and the set menu wasn't the most vegetarian friendly.

Each course had 4 choices - and that gave the four of us the chance to try everything.

Subtle flavors - not quite as bold as the fare you typically get at a regular Sri Lankan restaurant. But delectable.

Wonderful experience.