All reviews hot tub crab boar an ice bucket gastro pub pudding four poster bed road noise fantastic stay full english lovely room sunday lunch an overnight stay evening meal bar area tubs newbury
Reviewed 27 December 2015 via mobile

We got there early on Boxing Day lunchtime, and were the first in. It was really quiet for most of the meal, which was a bonus as we had three young children with us. Great menu, great food, children well catered for, and friendly service. Not cheap, but highly recommended.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2015 via mobile

Really surprised by some of the venomous reviews of this place, my experience couldn't be more different. Stopped here on the way to a friend's in Oxfordshire as the place is conveniently situated just off the M4 heading west from London. It's a very cosy building and plenty of money appears to have been spent on the renovation. I had the roast and my wife had the crab thermidor, both of which were excellent. They also serve some fantastic sourdough bread with homemade seaweed butter. Service is friendly and prompt. The only drawback is that the menu is quite expensive, but I don't mind so much when the food is of good restaurant quality, which it is here.

Just to reiterate... I'm very surprised by the number of negative reviews of this place. Either we were very lucky, or there are a few difficult people on here with an axe to grind. I would definitely return.

Stayed: December 2015
1  Thank johnny2hats
Reviewed 4 December 2015

We visited for on Sunday for an over night stay. Having booked 2 rooms, one for my husband and me, one for my parents. We had booked a ground floor room for them as they are 87 and 91. The ground floor room didn't have a functioning TV so they were put in one of premier rooms which was lovely with an amazing bathroom, up in the eaves. It WAS up stairs but the parents decided to go with and really enjoyed their room, and the touch of luxury it afforded. We were also pleased with our room although the bath was very small one (Should have had the parents room off them!). There's tea and coffee facilites in the room, and flapjacks -nice touch! But no milk as its fresh and delivered in tiny bottles in the mornings, thats a nice idea, but if you want a coffee on arrival you'd have to go in search of milk, so possibly not that practical. The property is very pleasant on arrival, a nice bar and a woodburner, and both chaps behind the bar, also doing the checking in were helpful and friendly, but after about an hour, the one chap was left alone with just one very young barman who seemed a bit at a loss, and really, he could have done with some help. There were some long waits for drinks and for other folk to check in. We had also booked dinner, birthday treat for Mum the following day. Dinner was pleasant, the home made bread delicious, but the butter with seaweed a bit odd! The food and wine we had were good, but its pretty pricey, and again they could maybe of done with another staff member, although our waitress was very pleasant. Breakfast the next morning - the hot cooked breakfast was very good, but you have to make your own toast, with one toaster between everyone, the gorgeous home made bread was way to big for the toaster and you had upend it and toast again which took ages. The jams by the toaster in large pretty jars had no small dishes to transport it back to the table, which is a bit silly. The cereals were fine, but fresh fruit would have been nice. Also the tops of both the coffee plunger-pots didn't fit properly and we had a fair few spillages. I used to visit the Crab some 12 years ago, when it as very much a fish place, and was very light and bright, all whites and blues, with a spectacular dining room which really glittered, but the new look is lot more Boar than Crab, with stuffed animals and tartan and leather and tweeds, its nice, but its dark, and for me, I preferred it as was.
We had booked a really good deal, paying only £60 per room, with all the food and drinks on top - a total of £340 for 4 people BB&Dinner and drinks which I thought good value. But the food prices and usual room rates are high and I think the C&B needs to tweak up a few things if it wants to charge these prices.

Room Tip: The room in the eaves with the lovely big bathroom
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Debbieparos
Reviewed 1 December 2015

The food is always of a good quality and cooked really well . A bit on the expensive side but well worth it ! great ambiance and friendly staff. nice selection on the wine list too! looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed: November 2015
Reviewed 29 November 2015

Having been treated to a night in a hot tub suite by a friend we were so looking forward to this, how disappointed we were!
Check in was slow and vague. We were informed that the lock to our patio door was broken.
On closer inspection the hot tub canopy was missing rendering it unusable in torrential rain, also giving the room above us unlimited view,
The room itself looked charming on entering but paint was peeling off the walls, there was mould on the wall by the side of the bed and also on the ceiling above. Furniture was broken, thick dust on headboard, we were so shocked as we are not people to complain.
This is supposed to be a boutique gastro pub, £140 a night room, honestly I've stayed in cleaner Travel Lodges, absolutely unbelievable,
At first we were offered the room free and additionally shown another room which was equally as undesirable.
We had dinner booked there and were so looking forward to this treat. Debating what to do there was no other option but to leave and go home.
How utterly disappointing.
I have added photos as we just couldn't believe the state of the place,
These rooms need a complete redecoration and employing a cleaner that actually cleans the rooms would also be a step in the right direction.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple