“A Holistic Experience”

Amanvana Spa Resort, Coorg
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Kushalnagar
“A Holistic Experience”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I waltzed in expecting a run of the mill routine; the kinds of which I was used to in luxury spa resorts all over Bali and Phuket. I was in for a surprise! a pleasant one at that - I extended my stay by a week and my entire family loved me for it. The service is always one of the first things that get my goat at resorts, but my usually hard to please self was grinning from ear to ear as the tranquility of the surroundings and the smiles of the staff worked in tandem to reset and rejuvenate my being. I've already planned my next trip here and looking forward to blogging about my visit this time as I'm going to carry my camera along this time to capture the beauty of Coorg in it's raw and pristine state. Thanks to Amanvana for keeping it real and natural!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We arrived by bus - our entire family of 35 from within India, North America, and China - around mid-afternoon, on a gorgeous day. Our registration had been handled remotely, and the keys to our assigned cabins were waiting, along with a friendly staff, including the manager, Hemant.

We walked through winding, tiled trails amidst the fragrance of tropical flowers, gorgeous plants, and manicured grounds to our beautifully appointed and clean cabin. The bed and pillows were wonderfully comfortable.

Overall ambience - I would rate as being outstanding. Great location, right next to tributaries of Kaveri river. Lots of fun, rock climbing, river wading.

We even had a guide lead us on a trek, which we enjoyed. Note: for people not used to walking barefoot - the trek is treacherously painful; the guide says to go barefoot because the rocks in the river may be slippery. Ignore his suggestion, carry your footwear - you'll need them; when in the water, you can take your footwear off; if you have sneakers, they might work even in the water, because the rocks are sometimes painfully sharp.

Incidentally, there are no islands, per se. Just a bunch of rocks.

The food, which is served buffet style, was average at best and poor at worst. It was greasy, you could taste the raw chili powder because the spices had not gotten cooked in. I even found the local delicacy, Pandi Curry (pork curry) to be atrocious. You would think that the most perfect land for coffee means that we would have great coffee. Unfortunately, we were disappointed. Service at the dining area is painfully slow. We would ask for rotis, and it would take at least 10-15 minutes for those to be served. Coffee took at least 15 minutes to be served and a couple of times, much longer.

Service - very slow. By far, we found the staff to obsequiously wanting to please you, but took for ever to get things done -- whether in the dining area or otherwise.

We were never informed when being shown to our room by our attendant that we should turn on the hot water geyser (geezer, as they refer to in Karnataka) -- so we had cold water showers the first day; only because some of our family is from India, we were clued in on the need to turn the switch on for the geyser/geezer. I informed the front desk that a bulb was out and the lever to turn the shower on (for the hand held shower) was broken. They made note, but no one showed up to fix it.

There is a spa and a pool, and the river by the edge of the property - all of which can be and are fun; but in general this is a pretty boring place. Incidentally, the "hot tub" has cold water!

Allegedly this is an all inclusive place - and we paid a pretty significant amount, in line with what one pays internationally at resorts in Puerta Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas; but we got nickled and dimed for everything beyond the buffet. Bottled water, tender coconut, extra coffee, toast, etc., etc., was all extra. Booze was incredibly expensive.

If you carry your own booze and wish to drink beyond the confines of your cabin, be prepared to pay a pretty steep corkage fee of Rs. 1,000.

Overall: Poor. Amanvana pretends to be a super exclusive resort, but I think at best it's a two-star place in a great setting.

I was disappointed to say the least -- now maybe my expectations are based on having traveled around the world, and I have seen top notch, high service, all inclusive resorts, and paid a lot less. Amanvana does not compare. The price to value is not good. The customers deserve better. We will not be returning to Amanvana any time soon.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank bugswamy
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I had booked the for 3 night at amanvana , reaching the resort was easy as the location was good,the bungalows in the resort were well appointed admist the greenery with the river flowing beside the resort. Food in the resort was excellent as it we tried the authentic coorg dishes and wide variety of barbecues which was served just on the riverside. I advice people experience the trekking in the resort where the guide will to make you cross the river and walk through the lush forest which is truly is a enjoyable experience. our children enjoyed the movie played in the open amphitheatre where we were served with coal pot to beat the chill weather of coorg. we were even guided to the coffee plantation and were explained about the coffee harvest, friendly staff of the resort made our stay a remarkable one i we are planning to be back in our next holidays. i recommend this resort for the people travelling to coorg.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
bangalore
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Amanvana was referrwd to by my friend who lives in coorg. Its set on the banks of the river cauvery and has tributaries that look like slender fingers of a lady. What a setting.. Fantastic and beautiful. The bungalows are spacious. The bathrooms with a glass ceiling. Mine had yellow flowers. Alamandas I was told later by the friendly guest relation executive.the lunch had live counters of barbeque and pasta..I had coffee in the coffee hut. This hut has a few books and enjoyed listening to music on my ipod. Service was good. Food was varied. I took back fond memories of this place. Touched my heart..

• Stayed December 2011
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 18 December 2011

The hotel is a great weekend getaway from Bangalore. The rooms are lovely & spacious. Clean & well maintained. The bathroom is awesome with a sun roof - i just filled up the tub & let my toddler splash around & she had a whale of a time. The pool is also great & there is a baby splash pool next to it. Both are nice & clean. They have a nice activity center for the kids with a trampoline / TT Tables / Movie area / Badminton & a sand pit. The spa facility is also very nice. The food is a good spread & infact we needed something extra to be made for us & the chef was happy enough to oblige. Also the river cauvery flows through the property so you can go down to the river bed & swim in the lap of nature. You could also ask them to set up a romantic dinner for you on the banks of the river...all of this we enjoyed. All in all it is a great property with great facilities.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Maple_Bangalore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kushalnagar
27.1 km away
Paddington Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Somvarpet
6.7 km away
Coorg Jungle Camp Backwater Resort

Been to Amanvana Spa Resort, Coorg? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK