All reviews meal plan beautiful beach reef fishing screened in porch conch bar southern air rented a car sandy cay dean's blue hole stella maris columbus monument conch fritters bug spray paddle boards breakfast and dinner hobie cat turquoise water
Reviewed 30 May 2009

Just got back from Nine days at the Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort. I must stay the front desk staff for the most part were extremely friendly. The resort was very secluded and very remote, The Bungalows were very clean for the most part, though I did find Two Large Roaches in my room on the 6th & 8th day. The beach was lovely, beautiful sand, EXCEPT for the SAND FLIES, watch out they pack a wallop! Still scratching. Beds were very comfortable and the rooms were very lovely. However, restaurant prices are incredibly pricey!! $20,00 for a basic breakfast with OJ and two eggs, sausage and the thinest toast I have ever seen in my life, jam, what's that?? They didn't seem to know what this was as they only had one choice of jelly jam and were very stringent. Breakfast changed regularly, twice i ordered the basic breakfast. First time I was asked of choices, second time, it was basically here it is tough! never ate lunch there because of the price of breakfast. Ordered the Omlette one day, whoa, $14.00 basic two item Omlette, cheese and one other item. extra items were .75¢ each. Omlette came and I almost had to look under the plate to see where it was, NOTHING ELSE came with it, no hash browns, no toast, no fruit, all EXTRA @ $4.00 an item as a side dish. Dinner was a minimum of $30.00 for the daily special usually more, and were so, so in terms of taste. They loved there rice and almost always that I was aware included rice with your dinner. Had shrimp special one night, Five medium Shrimps, Rice and some (very few) Veggies. $35.00, No Alcohol, tack on an extra min. $5.00 for beer and $7.00 for cocktails, Service in the restaurant was extremely slow!! Young Guy about 18 or 19 served me a couple of times also bar-tended at the bar. His service was extremely poor and really made you feel like walking. Found him to be quite rude as well. Bar food prices were better but not great. Nacho Chips were your best bet, but came with NO SALSA?? I somehow don't think they new what salsa was? Hamburger was great at $14.00, but Cheese was $1.00 extra, Mushrooms $1.00 Extra, Bacon $1.00 Extra, Fries/Salad/Coleslaw all $4.00 extra. Same with the Pizza, if you wanted more the two toppings, be prepared to pay!! Very Expensive Restaurant Prices, bring Lots of Cash. (Oh these were for One Person by the way). Also they tack on 15% Gratuity regardless of what you think the tip should be. Adventure Cruise (Snorkeling Cruise) way over priced!! They wanted $240.00 for the boat with a four person min. @ $60.00 each person, We had 9 People on our cruise, we all still paid $60.00 each for the cruise, someone is making money here! Snorkeling was poor at best, seen better fish in my aquarium at home then here!! Boat Driver was extremely friendly and good, however. Bone Fishing was a huge expense, so I never went. Scuba Diving prices were out of this world as well. Free Kayak Rentals though, but that's the only free activity. Management Staff Very Friendly though they seemed to have a hidden agenda, they seemed to have the same lines to all there guests. I really don't think they would care one way or the other good or bad. You are very secluded, so eating somewhere else is impossible! No Shuttle service to anywhere! Roads are horrible, so I sure wouldn't borrow one of their bicycles to travel the roads. Taxis stop running after dark! Five cabs on the north half of the island only. Rental car is extremely expensive, but the only way to get out and see the island. If you want a place to go where you have lots of money and don't want to go anywhere but stay inside the com-finds of the resort, perfect choice. Beach is 4 miles of wow!!! Great for a stroll, water is lovely but could have been warmer. If it rains, as it did a few days, you'll have nothing to do!! In general, very nice place, but heaven is very expensive for what you get!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
7  Thank rhphoto
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I would have to say that our trip to Long Island has been the most relaxing we have had. It's difficult to describe the peacefulness you feel while at CSMBR. My husband and I have had a very tough 2 yrs dealing with illness and constant drs appointments. This vacation was just what the doctor ordered, and more.
First, as everyone on here has said, the beach at the Cape is the most beautiful we have experienced. The only one I can compare it to is the beach at the Mayan ruins in Tulum, Mexico. Except much calmer. You want to walk on the beach just to feel the sand on your feet and it doesn't get hot. It reminds me of Moon Sand that my daughter plays with.
The water is unbelievably clear, with every color of blue and turquoise. Off in the distance, the turquoise appears to glow. Your camera cannot capture this. There are no rocks or jellyfish to avoid. Ocasionally you may have to avoid stepping on a sand dollar or starfish. I'm usually worried about what I might step on in the ocean, but not here.
The employees at the Cape are wonderful! It is under new management. A young couple from Victoria, BC, I believe. Brook and Eva. They were extremely friendly and helpful during our stay. All the staff was there to assist you whenever needed. I will especially remember Maxine and Sandy in the restaurant. Tamika in the bar. Joneka at the reception desk. And Bert, our bonefishing guide. They all treated us like long time friends. Some of the staff are quite when you first arrive, just strike up a conversation with them, you will be glad you did.
The restaurant is on the second floor with a wonderful view of the bay and a cool breeze flowing thru the screens. The food was very good and better than I think some reviewers said. The meal plan is definitely the way to go. You will easily spend $130-$140 on dinner alone, without alcohol. And $35-$45 on breakfast. We only chose the breakfast and dinner plan and snacked at lunch. We aren't big eaters, so if you like to eat alot, choose the 3 meal plan. We brought back mutton snapper from a fishing trip and the chef did a wonderful job preparing it just the way we wanted, it was delicious.
The bungalows were very comfortable. The lanai on the front was perfect for coffee in the morning and for cooling off after being on the beach. The beds were comfortable. Rooms very clean. The furniture was old, but we didn't care about that.
We did have a few issues with our bungalow, mainly the air conditioner quit working 2 times during our stay. The first time it quit, the front desk offered to move us. But the only option given wasn't what we preferred, so they did fix it. However, it stopped working again the next night and we did move. This time to a bungalow we picked and the air worked fine, just very noisy. That was our main complaint, they really should update the air in the older units. But everyone was very helpful in making our stay more comfortable and went out of their way to assist us. We didn't even need the air the first 2 days we were there, just opened the windows and doors for a lovely cool breeze.
I would recommend staying in the last 3 units before the villas, which are newer ones. Or if you want to feel totally away from most activity, choose bungalows 1-8.
If you have a laptop, the internet service is free. Otherwise it is about $10 a day to use in the reception area.
If you want to make calls to friends and family on the pay phones at the resort, wait until you get there and purchase the cards at the resort. I bought one at Nassau to use on Long Island, and couldn't use it.
If you like to have soft drinks and bottled water between meals, please stop on the ride from the airport. The only option is from the bar at about $2.50 each. Soft drinks are about $1 each at stores on the island. And each room has a small frig. We drank the tap from our room. It is safe to drink and tastes good.
Keep all food in the room in the frig or a ziplock bag. The ants will find it.
There are locks on the outside doors to bungalows now, but we didn't use it that much.
The only people I wouldn't recommend this resort to would be those with teenagers that need alot of entertainment.
We did a half day bonefishing trip with Bert and had a great time. My husband is now hooked on bones!
We also rented a jeep for a day and traveled the island. About $95 or a day. We saw Columus Pt, very bad road about 2 miles long, but worth the effort. At the monument you can see for miles and both the Atlantic and Carribean sides. Don't ride bikes there unless you are in really good shape. Found Dean's Blue Hole, hard to find because there is a private subdivision around it and they don't want signs up. We didn't swim there, it was deserted and didn't want to take the risk. Very beautiful though. Deals Beach was very pretty, and right off Queens Hwy.
All the people we met along the way were so friendly. We never felt unsafe anywhere we went. No need to worry, it is a very safe island. A lady gave me a bag of mangos when I stopped to look at her shop.
We didn't snorkel, but the resort offers an adventure cruise where you can do this. We didn't feel safe going on our own. But if you are more adventurous than us, walk all the way to the far south point of the bay and there are alot of great snorkeling areas. Bert showed them to us on our fishing trip. Also, Columbus Pt has a great place, but it was pretty rough water while we were there.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank leahb09
Reviewed 7 May 2009

My business requires travel to a wide variety of places in many parts of the world. The staff and facilities at Cape Santa Maria are truly at the top of my list for superior service and comfort. The Cape has the best beaches on Long Island, fabulous food, and a staff who addresses every concen at the very first request while still retaining a completely relaxed attitude. Thanks to all the great staff: Rashad, McKellon, and Tamika who took care of us at the bar; Cindy and Maxine who put up with us at Dinner AFTER we left the bar; and Breanda and Joneka at the front desk who ensured everything was perfect for our stay!

Please note that we did deal with another large resort on the island to arrange some side activities, but the service there was relatively unreliable and required much more attention on our part. No one seemed to be available when they said they would be and we had to place many, many phone calls to accomplish even a simple task with this other resort... This was NOT the case with Cape Santa Maria!

Truly one of the best beach resorts in the world!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank evanevery
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Truly one of the best beach resorts in the world!

1  Thank evanevery
Reviewed 6 March 2009

We spent the most wonderful three days relaxing at Cape Santa Maria. It is breathtakingly beautiful. The beach and ocean are spectacular and having a little bungalow on the beach is so luxurious!! The food is good and service is just fine. It's all about rest and relaxation! We LOVED our snorkeling, boating adventure! Swam with the rays, dolphins and new friends! Will recommend the Cape to all our friends and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple