All reviews meal plan beautiful beach reef fishing screened in porch conch bar southern air rented a car sandy cay dean's blue hole stella maris columbus monument conch fritters bug spray paddle boards breakfast and dinner hobie cat turquoise water
Reviewed 3 August 2012

First let me say this beach is amazing. We have seen great beaches and this one is at the top (Anguilla, Barbuda, Maroma Mexico, etc). Our favorite beach used to be Shoal Bay East on Anguilla. However, the beach at CSM is probably better just because the water is out of this world. It is the most amazing color and so clear.

The bungalows are perfect although we did have some bugs on the sink outside of the bathroom. We already knew that the bathrooms were outdated but the room is very clean. The screened porches are amazing at night and during the day. I do not understand why more islands do have screened porches. There is nothing like sitting outside in the Caribbean at night. My wife fell asleep on the porch on two different nights. However, do not go outside of the screened porch or you will be literally swarmed by mosquitos. We have been to places known for mosquitos and CSM beath them all by a long shot. You cannot go outside after dusk. Once you leave the clubhouse the room is your final destination. Your dreams of those romantic night walks on the beach are not going to happen here. We went out one night to look at the stars and I felt like a beekeeper without the suit and the bees were mosquitos (and yes we did have DEET).

The food was pretty good. I enjoyed it more than my wife. They were out of filet and some other items. The grouper fingers were the best I have ever had. The conch fritters were good. My wife thought the food was a little bland but that is what I like about it. I like seafood to be simply prepared. The drinks were decent. Would have been nice to have a mojito but not available. The Rum Punch was was too sweet but then that has been every island (except for Antigua-perfect rum punch everywhere).

I was not as fond of the manager and his wife as everyone else seems to be. She was very cold and he has no idea about customer service. I think they both cater to the villa guests. We heard the way he talked to a couple on their honeymoon and we were shocked. He basically talked to them like children and he is a young guy. We did like the staff other than the management. The restaurant service can be a little cold at first but they always warm up.

If you are looking at this hotel, I would assume you know there is nothing to do on the property. You go here for the beach.

With all this being said, we would go back. We don't really care that much about service and go more for the destination. I would rent a car. Although, it's not the prettiest island to drive around (like most islands known for beaches). It does feel very untouched and pure. The hotel itself is beautiful. I will post some pics in the next couple of days. Feel free to PM any questions.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank leon789
BrookCSM, Director of Business Development at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear leon789,
Thank you for your review of August 3.
I am delighted that you think you might come back for another visit to Cape Santa Maria, but very sorry to read that you were left with anything less than a stellar impression of our Management Team. Brook and Ewa have been with our company for fourteen years and have earned the reputation as hard working, polite and incredibly hospitable people, as many of our guest reviews indicate. I have had the pleasure of working closely with both of them over many years and was a constant witness to their integrity, work ethic, and willingness to assist others.
I sincerely hope that on your return visit you will have another opportunity to get to know them a bit better under different circumstances. I am confident that you will be impressed, as we continue to be.

Best regards,
Susan Barcham
Director of Business Development

Reviewed 22 July 2012

This place is worth visiting just for the sake of swimming in its unbelievable beach. The rooms are fairly spacious and with all the basic amenities and comforts minus a TV, but who needs it in a place like this? We got a full meal plan (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and got stuffed every day. The quality of food is very good and the same goes for the drinks. If you happen to visit the place in August be aware of the mosquitoes that show up in the thousands after dusk. I would recommend renting some snorkeling equipment for an evening. The kind of tropical fish and other marine life that you will witness will blow your mind. Also do the island tour that they offer. You simply gotta see the Dean's Blue Hole!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WideBodyroga
Reviewed 16 July 2012

After a fantastic holiday at Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort 3 years ago, my fiance and I didn't hesitate to choose the resort as our destination wedding. Thanks in big part to the wonderful staff - Ewa + Brook were best in class wedding planners and made the planning from afar a lot of fun and stress-free. Breanda executed exactly what we had imagined our day to be like! Our 70 guests (including 9 children) from 9 different countries seemed to all find activities that suited them. Not only was it the perfect venue for a celebration of love on a secluded beach in the Caribbean amongst family + friends but it was a fun-filled adventure, where our friends + family had days to get to know each other over happy hours, beach chairs, walks, swims, kayaks, site-seeing, fishing, boating, snorkelling, biking, and long meals. My husband and I stayed there for our honeymoon and upgraded from a bungalow to a villa on the second floor that offered lots of privacy and beautiful views. If you're a fish fan, be sure to try the blackened grouper and the lobster salad. Happy Hour was part of our daily routine - we'd walk the 2 minutes along the beach boardwalk to the Beach House for complementary conch fritters (a local appetizer) while Rashad, Kelly + Jessica whip out delicious cocktails, including my favourite Miami Vice!
We splurged for a treatment by massage therapist Omar + his team, on site at our villa patio with the sounds of ocean in the background. We are already planning our next trip!

Room Tip: Bungalow #14 has a king bed facing the beach view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank lushlife10
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I flew in privately to the resort. It cost us $36 for the trip from Stella Maris Airport. The resort is small and a little dated (but clean), but the beach totally made up for the rooms and the service was great. It's one of the nicest beaches I've been to - period. As they say, it's all about location and they have it with their beach. They also take great care of their beach. Someone is cleaning it every morning for sure. Watch out for the mosquitoes!

I also recommend renting a car which they have onsite for $70. Take a trip to Dean's Blue Hole. The food is great, but it gets a little expensive night after night.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ajudgeinmiami
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My wife and I needed a little get away from the stresses of our business and had heard about Cape Santa Maria at the Sun & Fun Flying Convention. The five day mini vacation was just what the doctor ordered. What a beautiful place! It was quiet, clean, peaceful and just a great place to relax. The staff was extremely friendly, the food was great and we met some super nice folks from all over the world. The beach was amazing. It was almost like having your own private beach. After lounging around on the beautiful beach all day we would head to the lounge for a cool cocktail, chat with other guests and learned a lot about other cultures. The beach bungalow was really quiet, well maintained, clean and comfortable. We have been to other islands in the Bahamas over the years and I must say Long Island is one of the prettiest. If you want a place to do nothing but relax then this is the place.

Room Tip: We chose a bungalow on the beach at the very north end and were extremely pleased. It was quiet and only about 20 feet from the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple