Trip dates Nov.4-9 07. first nite in Nassau at the Wyndham Resort and Casino. (a total and serious dump, over priced, depressing and that is being generous) We flew from Toronto on Westjet arriving 3pm in nassau, no flites out to Stella maris that late so we overnited. Next morning we flew Southern Air, a tinny 18 seat prop plane and landed on the seriously flooded Stella Maris airstrip. Flight was fine. As we flew over Long Island we noticed the heavy damage from Noel, the island was virtually cut off north from south because of water. Arrived at our resort Cape Santa Maria to a visibly shocked owner who smiled nervously and said "Oh!!! WHO are You?? Didnt they call you? We are closed because of the hurricane until thursday (the day before we were to leave. They should have called......"Well I have travelled near and far but this was a first for me. Now for the good part. We stayed in our 12 star villa and were the only guests on the island it seemed. Obviously there was no dining establishment available because the chefs and maids were somewhere upstream. But lovely Wendy simply went over to her own house emptied out the fridge and freezer and set us up with basic provisions for 3 days. Not to mention a choice of fine wines, beer and Bacardi. And never were we charged for this. Where else in the world does a traveler find owners like this? I defy anyone to do better!!!!
Our accommodations were indescribably gorgeous, luxurious, over the top in every way. And the gardeners were all stressed out over the "condition" of the beach". This meant there was some seaweed that had blown up during the hurricane. In most places of the Caribbean it would be standard but this beach is so beautiful as to have been dropped from heaven. Miles upon miles of soft sand, clear water, their website doesnt do it justice. The entire establishment is meticulously run, from maid service to bicycles to towels, to gardening, attention to detail is Chateaux and Relais quality.Thank god it is difficult to get to. We flew back to Nassau with Marty, a local pilot who is handsome, charming, efficient and prefers cash. We were 3 in his Navajo. Great flight too. I will be posting pics soon, they are on my Mac at the moment. If you go tell them the Joffe's from Toronto sent you and remember there is NOTHING to do at nite except to chill and listen to the waves.Cape Santa Maria is a gem, everyone stay away and don't ruin it!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Untouched... Undiscovered... Barefoot elegance in a Caribbean paradise. Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort is unlike any place you have ever experienced. Mile after mile of silky-fine sandy beach melts into the warm turquoise water. With twenty bungalows and a handful of villas steps from the most beautiful beach in the Bahamas, an escape to Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort is an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas Hotel Long Island
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort And Villas
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Hotel
- Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas Long Island, Bahamas