“Very Special Property” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Harbour Island
Northville, Michigan
“Very Special Property”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We recently spent an entire week at the Rockhouse. Over the years, we have have stayed at the major Caribbean luxury resorts(Cap Juluca, Caneel Bay, Little Dix Bay, Four Seasons Nevis,etc.). We enjoyed the Rockhouse more than any of them. First of all, the service far exceeds that of the aforementioned resorts, probably due to its small size and the principals involved(Don, Eric, Flo). The restaurant is outstanding and seems to be a social hub of the island. The atmosphere is very serene, romantic and classy; no business groups or chidren under 18 to deal with. We actually preferred the Rockhouse"s location on the harbor side of the island. The sun sets on the harbor side; the views of Eleuthera are beautiful; the other restaurants are much closer; and the the walk to the beach is literally 7 minutes. Lastly, the room rates provide much more value than the the other luxury resorts.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gary a
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We visited the Rock House for dinner several years ago, and my wife and I were determined to stay at the hotel the next time we visited the island. Unfortunately it was several years before we returned, but fortunately the hotel was everything I expected.

Location - We were able to easily walk to the hotel from the government dock and our rental golf cart was waiting upon arrival. The hotel overlooks the bay side of the island and is in a very convenient location. Honestly you could stay at the hotel without a golf cart, but I would recommend one, especially if it is your first trip or you haven't explored the island before. The beach access is about a ten minute walk, but a quick golf cart ride. The hotel has a great beach access beside the best lunch spot on the island, Sip Sip.

Decor - The hotel is small and cozy, and very tastefully decorated. It seemed as if they had more private cabanas than rooms, and the room was very comfortable. The previous reviewer complained about the noise, and I believe we stayed in the same room(pineapple), but we did not have any problems with noise. Of course I took the time to research the room and knew beforehand that it was located in the busier area, but honesty we did not have any issues (we retired around 10pm) and slept wonderfully. The room also had a nice balcony overlooking the bay. The bed was extremely comfortable.

Food - I think the Rock House has the best dinner on the island. If you are a frequent visitor to the Bahamian out islands as I am, you might be surprised with the quality of the food on the island. We also had breakfast and lunch, and it was very good as well.

Service - The service at the Rock House is exceptional. In fact, Harbour Island as a whole is one of the friendliest islands in the caribbean, but they take it to the next level here. I can't say enough about the fantastic job the staff did taking care of us. Trust me, once you've stayed here you will dread your next trip to a 500+ room beach resort.

Room Tip: They have a good variety of rooms available, contact the hotel beforehand to find the best room for...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 00_nc_state_fan
Tustin, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I stayed here last year for 4 nights w/ my husband for our honeymoon. It's a small boutique hotel w/ great service and very good food. I'm a bit of a hotel snob and usually use tripadvisor to pick the #1 rated hotel wherever I'm traveling and although it was a good stay, I wasn't blown away by anything. We had one of the nicest rooms they have (full view of the bay) but the beach is a 10 minute walk or a 3 minute golf cart ride away, so that was a little inconvenient. My biggest problem was that on 2 out of 4 nights, there was a large number of people partying at the bar which basically shared a wall w/ our room. We would clearly hear loud laughing, talking and music for 2-3hrs those nights in our room while we were trying to watch movies, talk to each other or read. Some might say we could have gone out and hung out w/ all those people, but we were newlyweds and just wanted to hang out w/ each other. One of the nights I forgot to lock our room door (which was right next to the hotel's public restroom door) and an old white man who had been partying at the bar actually walked right into our hotel room thinking it was the bathroom. Fortunately, when we complained to the manager about this, he refunded us for a portion of our stay (1 night I believe) which was very nice of him, but if he hadn't, my rating would have been a 1/5 just based on the nighttime traffic and noise.

Based on our experience, I don't understand why this place gets 5/5 all the time. My expectations were VERY high given that this was the #1 rated hotel of over 160 in the Bahamas when I booked it. Based on my stay, however, I got the impression that this hotel is a hot-spot for older, wealthy, white people with yachts to go and be seen each night, (my husband is white by the way, but this just wasn't our style). Wish I could have seen something special to give it a higher rating.

Room Tip: Our room w/ bay view was beautiful, but a bit too close for us to the loud nightly parties.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank EllieMiz
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My family and I vacationed here last week and had an amazing time! The staff is incredible and the food is amazing! They don't really serve lunch but the dinners are worth every penny! Very relaxing and accomodating and great if you don't want the feel of a big, stuffy hotel. We were constantly in communication with all the staff members and we all knew each other on a first name basis.
I hope to be able to travel back to Harbour Island and stay at Rock House again soon!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Asian room with my siblings and it was great. My parents stayed in the Nautilus roo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Chicago, Il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

The Rock House never disappoints. My husband and I travel the world and we are never let down by this beautiful boutique hotel. Don (the owner) and Eric are very attentive and so friendly.....along with the entire staff. The property and rooms are immaculate. During the day you have the option of lounging at the pool or grabbing a beach bag/cooler and heading to the pink sand beach. The restaurant is the best on the island. Chef Jenny is so talented and creates taste bud satisfying dishes.....the Almost Boneless Chicken and Chilean Sea Bass are favorites :) Make sure you enjoy their famous Goombay Smash drink upon arrival.....and departure, as that will be a sad day. The Rock House is the best hotel on the island, we would never stay anywhere else!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
12.7 km away
The Cove Eleuthera
The Cove Eleuthera
#1 of 1 in Gregory Town

Been to Rock House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK