All reviews dog friendly hotel garden suite welcome pack superior room golden retriever local walks biscuits friendly hotels dog lovers venison dogs are allowed breakfast sausage entrance hall on arrival drumlanrig castle breakfast and dinner lovely hotel
Reviewed 1 September 2018

A very friendly family hotel. Historic building with beautiful decor. It is easy to find with excellent parking. The staff are very friendly, helpful and professional.The restaurant is very pleasant and the food is exquisite with local produce plentiful and with a wide choice. The wine list is good. Prices are very reasonable and the rooms are very clean and comfortable with all amenities as expected. Dogs are made welcome with sausages for their breakfast provided. All communication was first rate. I would visit again without hesitation as I really enjoyed my stay, even extending it by an additional day at very short notice.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jennifermarkd
Reviewed 31 August 2018

We stayed for one night at this hotel and really wished we could have stayed longer. The room, or should I say suite was amazing and our dog thought he had gone to heaven. Beautiful gardens and large grounds. Little surprises included a delightful horse and geese in the cottage garden. The food was amazing and the service good. Only hiccup was that although most dogs in this pet friendly hotel were kept on leads under strict control one couple thought that their two dogs dragging their loose leads behind them counted as on leads. these two dogs were scurrying around behind manoeuvring cars, careering around the garden, leads trailing behind, initiating barking matches with other dogs and in the evening were allowed to drag their leads right over to our dog, who was contentedly lying under our table in the dog friendly bar at dinner, and caused him great anxiety. It spoilt a truly delicious meal. Overall the hotel is amazing, loving such a quality dog friendly hotel, great service , superb room.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2018

We went for a 2 night stay with D B&B for a birthday treat. Plus points, We had a Lovely stay, relaxing..it’s a small hotel, easy to find with a lovely garden and aspect to look out over. We booked the hot tub for 8pm and watching the sunset sitting in it was another great experience. The staff especially a women Jean (? Something like that) was very kind, efficient. Dogs can be with you in the bar area to eat..I’m not sure why they are not allowed in the dining room in a hotel described as ‘very’ dog friendly but maybe that’s me..My meat & fish eating wife said the food was fantastic...my vegetarian food was also very tasty...my only concern was that there were just 4 of the same vegetarian choices over 2 days we stayed (unlike some of the meat & fish available on the menu which I guess changed as some items were used up) . However effectively this meant there was little choice unless of course you wanted to repeat the dishes..At breakfast there were no vegetarian sausages etc on offer... the wine sold by the glass recommended with each dinner dish worked well & seemed thoughtful. .Negatives.. none that I would describe as negative..It’s near a road so there is some traffic noise outside..Would we go back, yes.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 6
Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T W
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions. My two dogs love this place but this hotel is not just a dog friendly paradise but really caters for the humans as well. A lovely comfortable hotel with great food and really engaging staff. With so many positives about this hotel the cracking food is often overlooked but the food is genuinely top drawer.

Well worth a visit.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mrmac59
Reviewed 5 August 2018

Six of us for lunch including one small boy and a medium sized doggy. Really charming welcome and an outstanding meal. Nothing was too much trouble. We were particularly impressed by the fact that every wine on the great wine list was available by the glass.
It's a lovely arts and crafts building, well preserved. Pretty garden and kitchen garden with a couple of very friendly geese. Discovered the hot tub and sauna hidden away in a secluded corner. We'd love to come back and stay. Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends