“First time visitors to the Maldives will enjoy”

Kuredu Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuredu
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We decided to taker our last trip to the Maldives in November as we were expecting a baby in February. We thought we take a trip to Kuredu as we had heard good things about it. We arrived on Kuredu to a lovely warm welcome and the obligatory fruit cocktail.

Accommodation:

Our travel rep came to see us and informed us that the hotel had been over booked and our room was not available until the following day. To be fair they did offer us a free upgrade to the Ovillas but the rep did say that due to us having our daughter with us it made it difficult to put a third bed in the Ovilla (you couldn't move around the room very well) she also informed us that due to the bad weather the Maldives had been experiencing, the water was very choppy around that side. With this information we said we would wait for our room that we had originally booked (Room 110) Just for your information, try not to stay this side if you can help it. The sea planes start landing at 7 in the morning, there not the most quietest of planes!!
The room was adequate for our needs it wasn't the most luxurious of rooms compared to other islands we have stayed on. Our room was cleaned every day and the bed was turned down for us every night. We were left bottled water every day and the mini bar stocked every day. As with most Maldivian accommodation the bathroom is outside, its clean and modern but the only problem with this is the creepy crawlies!! if your anything like me make sure you take some bug spray with you! and your husband or significant other in the night if you have to get up because i guarantee you there will be something out there!!! We had massive Ants all in the toilet every night so check the seat before you sit down!

Swimming Pool:

Just a heads up here, there are no parasols with the sun beds!! There are a couple of sun beds that are shaded by palm trees but you have to be up with the larks to get one of these. What did annoy me, is that the same people would reserve them every day then sit at the bar drinking all day. *rant over*

Food:

The food was good although there was not a lot of choice. There was a different theme every day, some days better than others. There was a salad bar every night and if you like Tuna you'll love it as there was fresh tuna on the griddle nearly every night.
personally i don't like having cooked meals at lunch time so i used to make myself a sandwich
up from the bread counter and salad bar. On one particular day there wasn't anything i could put in a sandwich so i asked for some cheese. Now, they serve sliced cheese every morning and have a cheese cabinet at night and yet when i asked for some they said i couldn't have any!! i was a little shocked, you think the money you pay and they say no to a slice of cheese for a pregnant woman. They do have great breakfast chefs especially the guy who does the eggs, he was great, he remembers your name and says hello every morning and makes you what ever you want ...with eggs!!

All in al,l it was an ok holiday for the Maldives, but if your looking for something special and you've been to the Maldives before this is not the place. We have been to two other islands and they were both amazing, see my other reviews if you are looking for locations to travel to.
We spoke to other couples that were staying on Kuredu and had never been to the Maldives before and they all seemed to love it. I think its just that i have been spoiled on my other visits. I am not saying that Kuredu isn't nice, im just saying that there is better islands to go to. I also think that the weather wasn't the best during our visit which also contributes to my perspective of this trip, basically it rained nearly every day!!!

Happy Holidays x

Room Tip: Get an O villa if possible or room that side of the island!! The family side has sea planes landing...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
16  Thank Claire B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Kuredu Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Wow. After a pretty rubbish part 1 of our honeymoon, we were greeted with Kuredu.

What can I say? The weather was perfect. The food was delicious. The staff were great. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was brilliant.

After landing at Male airport, we got a small shuttle bus to the island water plane airport place. You have to wait for the next chartered flight to your island, and I was a little disappointed to see that we had to wait for 2 hours. But, the lounge was air conditioned and there were free drinks and snacks to nibble on. There was a jetty type balcony to sit out on, and they had nice comfy loungers. So we sat back and chilled waiting eagerly for our "taxi". The staff brought out food to us, a nice hot tuna panini. We were very well looked after. Finally the plane was ready and we had an awesome ride to the island.

The island has one vehicle on it, and its a small minibus/taxi thing. A short meeting with the island reps and we were off to our room. We booked a water bungalow (it was our honeymoon after all). It was a very nice room, with double doors out to two level decks with a view of nothing but sea. Lush.

Your bags arrive separately by speed boat and ours arrived at the room during a crazy heavy rain shower. The poor bag boy was soaked through, but he ran all the way so our suitcases didn't get too wet. Gave him (Ali) $20 for his troubles.

The island is split into 3 or 4 categories of rooms. Staggered by price I would assume. Ours was the second most expensive so we got exclusive use of a really nice restaurant. I don't normally believe in that sort of thing, but I soon forgot all about it when I tried the food.

There was a different theme of food every night. And every night, the food was outstanding. And I mean, outstanding. One night they had fillet steak. But it was cooked (and even filleted) to order, by the chef. And he was a good bloody cook.

You get assigned a waiter for the week, and ours was called Shentil, or something. Annoyed that I can't remember his name, because he was so nice and friendly. Couldn't do enough for us. Got us drinks whenever we wanted, sorted us out a table for dinner on the beach one night. He was just a top bloke.

WEATHER.

The weather was amazing. Apart from a couple of late night rainstorms, the sun shone every day, and was bloody hot, every day.

SEA.

The sea was crystal clear. The clearest water I have ever been in. You could see most fish and sharks, rays and turtles quite clearly. Yes sharks. Baby sharks swam up and down the beach (about a foot long) and one day a 6 footer swam past our bungalow as we were sun bathing, but I didn't have the camera on me, and was a little gutted I missed a photo.

The sea was also like a warm bath.

We went snorkling on a paid activity. That was great, I swam with big old sea turtles which weren't scared so didn't swim off at great speed. I bought an underwater camera but my wife managed to get a photo of my feet, and none of us (me and the turtle) together... :(

The beach was proper, white sand. There were barely any sand flies or any flies at all to be honest. There were a few fruit bats, and many many lizards that pottered around.

One day though, we found a large black pipe across the beach, and we thought it was a sewage pipe as it went into the sea. But it turned out that because of the tides, they had to move sand from one side of the beach to the other every couple of weeks!!!

Overall, we both wished we had spent the whole honeymoon on Kuredu rather than the first half in Sri Lanka. But there you go.

Amazing. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank el-tato
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This was our first time to the Maldives and I had done so much homework before we booked Kuredu that I felt confident that we would enjoy it. Well, I could not have imagined how much we would enjoy it.

After delays at heathrow due to poor service by Srilankan Airlines (would never use again) we set off 5 hours late. By the time we arrived at male airport we had missed the last seaplane transfer so had an overnight stay at a hotel the other side of the airport. We got to the airport early the next day to be transfered to the seaplane terminal and then our holiday really began.

After a 35 minute flight by seaplane over the most fantastic views I had ever seen we arrived on Kuredu at 11.15. We were greeted by drums, singing and a refreshing cold towel and cocktail. The famous Fikry was our host for the duration of our stay and quickly went through the the important stuff before showing us to our beach villa (109).

Wow! The villa was amazing, right on the powder soft sand to the right of the jetty. The views were out of this world, I've never seen so many different shades of turqouise. The villa was very spacious with everything we could need. A lovely four poster bed, two chairs and a table, a dressing table and chair, cabinet with tv (never used), and a cupboard that included hanging space and shelves as well as fridge (mini bar). The bathroom was very spacious with double sinks, Toilet, Shower (power shower I think) and a lovely garden area with clothes line. Abdullah looked after our room and did such a good job. He decorated the bed for both our birthdays and for Valentines day. He was always happy to chat and was more than willing to teach teach us some Maldivian. He is a credit to Kuredu and I think of him as a friend not a room boy (which seems a rather rude term).

As we were in a beach villa we were able to use all bars on the island and eat in any of the restuarants apart from the a la carte ones. The restuarant for our evening meals was the Koumas but we could book to eat in any of the others which we did only once for a birthday meal on the beach at the Sangu. Other than that we did not feel the need to eat other than in Koumas as the food and service was so great. Our waiters for our stay were Mondy (Mohammed) and Shifau. They were outstanding! They helped us learn some Maldivian and told us about their way of life and some of the differences between our country and theirs. They were always smiling and always happy to have a chat. Mondy even made me a hat and handbag out of palm leaves.We miss them very much. The food was plentiful and such a great choice. I am a very fussy eater and thought I may struggle at meal times but I couldn't of been more wrong. I eat three times a day and always had three courses ( now dieting!). Ali at the pasta kitchen was my favourite and the Maldivian curries were the best I've ever tasted. They knocked spots off the best curries over here. They had fish, meats, pasta, noodles, curries, salads, terrines, sushi, soup and other delights (too many to mention) on a daily basis and the desserts were to die for, I could never choose just one!

The island is spotlessly clean due to the ladies who raked the sands daily and everywhere is sand. No need for shoes or even flip flops! It takes about an hour to walk round slowly and there is plent of opportunity to swim with fish of all kinds. On the north of the island in front of the beach bungalows there is a laggoon that we could walk with the baby sharks and other fish such as Titan triggers, Jacks etc. On the south side we could swim with Green Turtles to the left of the jetty along with Parrot fish, Unicorn fish more Triggers and many others that I don't know the names of. Along the sand split on the south west we even swam with a Sting ray. The sealife was just out of this world. The fish never seemed to mind the fact that we were there although we were very careful not to touch! Walking along the jetty we could see lots of different fish and even saw an eagle ray one evening. At the end of the jetty is the Tea house that had lights underwater so that at night you could sit and watch to see what came by. We didn't see them but others told us that they'd seen Manta's there.

All the room types looked lovely and clean and all had great views. The garden bungalows didn't have sea views but the greenery was lovely to look at and they are only a few feet from the shore line. The last of the beach bungalows look out to the water villas but still had great views. The 'O' villas looked out over the lagoon on the north side and were on the outside of the Atoll as were the GB, BB and WV. The south side is facing the the inside of the Atoll and had the BV and JBV. The sea was calmer on the south side and the sand was a bit softer but I would of been happy in any of the accomadation.

The weather was fantastic. We had one afternnon of rain in two weeks and even that was great to see as we've never seen rain like it. It rained for a couple of hours but stayed hot and did not stop us doing anything. The temp. was 30-35 for two weeks and the sea is bath warm! The staff thought we were joking when we told them that it was -7 at home. They didn't think temperatures could drop that low!

There are two Spa's and we used the one in the centre of the island. I had a facial and we also did the Full Moon Package. Both were fantastic and so relaxing. I would definitely recommend treating yourself. The coconut cocoon was so nice and did wonders for my skin.

All the staff on the island are so friendly and helpful. They always greeted you with a smile and asked if you were enjoying your holiday or just said hello. I have never met such nice people and other places I have stayed could take a note of how to treat guests. Honestly, the service was that good. Not once did we meet any rude member of staff and all were happy to assist you. I have holidayed in the Caribbean and Europe and this place and it's staff knocked spots off of those holidays.

I can honestly, hand on heart say that I can not fault this island or it's staff at all for anything. It was truly the best holiday either of us had ever been on. We went for a once in a lifetime holiday and have come back eager to rebook for next year!

A quick word about the famous Fikry! I had been in contact with him through the Kuredu Facebook page before we went and it was great to finally meet him and a bonus to have him as our host for our stay. This guy works his socks off to make sure that everyone staying on the island has a great vacation. He checked with us regularly to ensure we were enjoying the island and that we wanted for nothing. He is a credit to the island as were all the staff.

Shukuriya (thank you) to Fikry, Mondy, Shifau, Ali and Abdullah for such a wonderful experience. We hope to see you all again next year!

If you are considering Kuredu for your vacation, what are you waiting for!!

Room Tip: No room will disappoint!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank rocky056
Reviewed 28 February 2012

It's a while since we visited Kuredu and I always planned to leave a review, so here it is (albeit a bit late!). Firstly if you haven't had the pleasure of visiting the Maldives before then I'm sure you'll enjoy Kuredu. We knew it was a budget choice for us but I wanted to give my 13-year-old son the opportunity to experience the beauty and total relaxation that my husband and I had experienced the year before. Trouble was, we'd been to the five star Conrad Rangali - so I tried to manage my expectations before I went.
Even so, my first impressions weren't very good. On arrival our room wasn't ready and it took at least three hours before we could get into it. We were eventually given a key and some directions to the room - there was no-one to take our luggage or show us round the room. We were walking across the beach with our suitcases while people sunbathed....I should have been more pushy but hey!
We were in a beach villa and ate in the Koamas restaurant. The food was good and there was plenty of choice. The staff in the restaurant - chefs and waiters were all friendly and polite but they didn't want to chat. One of the things that stood out for us at Rangali was the friendliness of the staff - always chatting and keen to tell you all they know about their culture, food and, of course talk about football and cricket! There was none of this at Kuredu, sadly. That said, they were attentive and did their jobs well.
The room we had was lovely - modern, clean and spacious. I didn't like the look of the bungalows but if you're on a budget and only there for the sun and sea then they will suit you fine.
Kuredu felt too big, busy and loud for me. The bar was bustling every evening, and the music cranked up a few evenings for a lively disco - but somehow it took something away from the chilled out Maldivian experience I was looking for. I go on holidays with the girls for that! Once, during the day we were walking through the main bar and there was a large group of new arrivals being given a welcome talk by their tour operator. Perfectly fine and normal but suddenly it started to feel a bit like (dare I say it?) Benidorm! Albeit a Benidorm in beautiful surroundings.
The best part came when we were given the opportunity to move to their sister island, Komandoo. Now this was more like it. We were very lucky and I was very grateful to be able to move. We spent four days there and it was worth packing up and unpacking again. We were greeted off the boat, given a coconut drink, the band played a song for us and we were then escorted to our room and shown where everything was. My son still remembers the Komandoo song the band played and it's little things like this that stay with you.
As I've said we did book Kuredu because it was more affordable - and my son was full adult price. But there are other islands that can meet or beat Kuredu prices. I've learnt that just choosing the Maldives won't guarantee that exclusive, chilled out, paradise holiday we all crave. All islands are different so my advice would be to really think about what you want from your Maldivian holiday and do your research - don't leave it to your travel agent to advise you. Adrian Neville's book is a good starting point and of course read the reviews on here.
Once you've visited the Maldives it hooks you in. For our holiday this year I've been looking at the Caribbean and Thailand but I know these places won't offer us what the Maldives can. So we're going back in May. But not to Kuredu - it's a pretty island but it just wasn't for me.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Ifoundnemo1900
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Our return to Kuredu was eagerly anticipated after having been three times on holiday then honeymooning there last year. Arriving on the jetty still bought the wow factor as the island is such a beautiful place. The staff are very professional and it was lovely to be remembered by so many staff from our previous visits, which added to the holiday. Any needs we had were catered for. We stayed in the Sangu Water Villa and again it still did not disappoint, the views of the indian ocean are fabulous and the sunsets stunning! There is planty to do if you are active, from watersports to tennis to a gym but there is a sense of calm so you can just relax. The food was excellent and although we mainly ate in the Sangu we did eat in Koamas and the O restaurants and both were of an excellent standard. The service in the restaurants was of a very high standard and all the staff are there to help and cheerful in their manner. We met some lovely people and the repeaters party is a lovely touch. All our requirements were either met or exceeded and I would recommend this resort to all of my friends and family. It is a picture postcard island and the sea life you see is outstanding from snorkelling with turtles and fish to snorkelling with manta rays, just amazing. You just need to go and check it out for yourself.

Room Tip: Remember to always wear suncream! Even if it is abit cloudy you can still burn.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julesandgilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuredu
21.2 km away
34.5 km away
Cocoon Maldives
Cocoon Maldives
#1 of 1 in Ookolhufinolhu

Been to Kuredu Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK