“Comfortable and characterful”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Historical Tanycastell and Dolwyddelan (Llywelyn Fawr's) Castle
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
gilbe2
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful position in North Wales”
Reviewed 1 April 2015 for a stay in March 2015
person found this review helpful

I booked a 2 night break for the purpose of climbing Mount Snowdon. The Cottage is about 20 mins drive away from the Miners track. There was a fast moving stream out the front and that and the sound of sheep , were the only noise at night , blissful.
The cottage i stayed in i believe was not Tanycastell 2 which is the cottage i had booked. We stayed in number 1, and so the bedroom layout was not ideal for our family. There is a king size bedroom, a single bedroom , and a double bedroom with a single bed in it , a little difficult for married couples. The cottage was quirky and two wonderful fires were easy to light and warmed the cottage quickly. A few minor things like bulbs needed replacing , and a wobbly Kitchen table , but i loved my short stay, and the feel of the country cottage.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Not staying at 2 Tanycastell
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway People with pets
Delcar77
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and characterful”
Reviewed 27 December 2014 for a stay in December 2014

spent a lovely week over Christmas , with the historic accommodation at No2 adding a wonderful dimension to family get together. Comfortable with plenty of space inside and out. Lovely outlook and convenient for Snowdonia and surroundings. Dylan was hospitable and accommodating and did a lovely job of decorating for Christmas. Diolch yn fawr iawn/thank you very much.

PiliPala3...
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
“idyllic, historic, iconic”
Reviewed 23 October 2013 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

We spent a long weekend here with a group of friends and had a FANTASTIC time. We are local, but friends from London and Glasgow adored the beautiful country-side that the area has to offer - including a little river running right passed the house! The decor of the ancient listed building is tasteful and classy, whilst retaining lots of it's original charm. The booking process was easy and owners are lovely and could not be more helpful and welcoming, and the welcome hamper of goodies was a wonderful touch! The place had was sparkling upon our arrival, and it is obvious that a lot of love and pride goes into the running of the place. There were little children in our group, and cots and stairgates were set up ready for us. Top class customer service. Do yourself a favour and come and visit this charming place steeped in Welsh tradition and beauty, you will not be disappointed! Da iawn a diolch yn fawr!

Travelling group: Large Group
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
Tony J
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“A great stay at a remarkable house”
Reviewed 17 May 2013 for a stay in May 2013
people found this review helpful

Our group of 10 stayed in Tanycastell 1 and 2 for a week. Dylan and Carys were gracious hosts and the facilities were astounding. The interior of both cottages were comfortable and clean. We had treats ready for us upon arrival and the owners were there to greet us. The exterior was well-kept and gave us room to roam. Our entire group had nothing but great things to say about their time at Tanycastell. 20 thumbs up to Dylan and Carys for all they did for us (that's two from everyone).
A mere 10 minute walk to the Spar store and the local establishments allowed us to enjoy without the worry of driving back from town and the residents of Dolwyddelan opened their arms to us with warmth and friendship. The next overseas trip for us with certainly include a trip back.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: All the living space in the house was warm, comfy and inviting.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
20 May 2013
It was great having you at the ancestral home Tony.
Wonderwil...
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fab cottage, great location”
Reviewed 24 June 2012 for a stay in March 2012
people found this review helpful

I made a last minute decision this year to have a quiet week in Wales, enjoying a stay in a traditional cottage that could be used as a base for hillwalking or for easy access to Snowdonia. I found Tanycastell through Google and emailed to find out about availability. It was relatively short notice but the cottage was available and within a couple of days I had my week sorted and an invite extended to a few friends. I received documents via email for the booking which included instructions on finding Tanycastell (as it is set back off the main road) and also for accessing the key to the property. On arrival, I was delighted to find the cottage had been prepared for my arrival with some local produce in the fridge as a small treat - having arrived after dark, it was a welcome find. Throughout my stay, I found the facilities perfect and had come prepared with my own cooking ingredients so I could sit down with friends over a log fire in the lounge or round the table and multistove for meals. I can imagine in the summer it is even more idyllic with beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. Most of all, having stayed for the latter half of the week on my own, I found Tanycastell to be safe, cosy and just what I needed. I was impressed with the service provided by the owner, for the immediate answers to any questions that I had and also for the volunteering of local information on weather in Llanberis (better to get a live update!) and different walks to try throughout my stay in Wales.

I would definitely stay again and think the opportunity to rent both cottages with a large group of friends or family is not to be missed. Excellent value for money.

Just wish I was better at lighting a log fire!!!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Quiet location and log fires
Liked least: Sky card didn't work for some major channels - but wasn't that fussed anyway
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing