other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Historical Tanycastell and Dolwyddelan (Llywelyn Fawr's) Castle
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Genevieve...
Bristol
“Quite a nice place but very unpleasant owner”
Reviewed 22 April 2012 for a stay in March 2012
people found this review helpful

Tanycastell 1 is in a lovely location and the property itself is quite nice, clean and reasonably comfortable. There is a strange situation where the only bathroom with a bath/shower is on-suite and requires you to go through the master bedroom to get to it, which is not great for privacy if that is something that bothers you. We also had to laugh at the ridiculous 'intructions' which included a demand that you strip the bedding when you leave and place it 'in neat bundles', amongst other fairly unusual requests which included emptying all the bins! It was clear the owner was a very rigid person but generally the place was nice and we enjoyed our stay.

It was after we left that I became very unhappy with the service. The owner, Dylan, did not promptly refund our deposit as expected and emailed 4 days after we had left (leaving the house in immaculate condition) to say that the TV was not working and did we know why that was. I said that none of us had used either of the TV's, which I did n't feel was really surprising since we had gone to Snowdonia to do outdoor activities, not watch TV. He then said he'd have to get it looked at and that since it had been working before we arrived and not after we left that the contract between us had been broken. He then took another week and a half to contact me to say that in fact the TV repair man had found the TV to be working afterall and so he would refund our deposit! He did not apologise for any inconvenience caused or the fact that he had strongly insinuated we had broken it! When I told him I thought this was rude he said that I should think myself lucky he was even returning my deposit since many owners would n't have done, even though he had just admitted there was nothing wrong with the TV! To add insult to injury, in what appeared to be another obvious ploy to find a way to over charge us, he emailed again to ask if I could 'remind' him how much electricity we had used. When I said that we had written the amount in the specified place as per 'the instructions' he suddenly remembered, hmm, had he perhaps been hoping we'd forgotten so that he could make the amount up (to his advantage obviously!)?

Dylan refused to refund my deposit by online transfer, even though this was how I had paid him as it is obviously much more convenient, and eventually, nearly 3 weeks after we had left the house he sent me a cheque for £20. He had deducted £30 for electricity, which was obviously massively overpriced since we had only been there for 5 nights, are seriously energy concious people and had been out most of the time! As if all that was n't bad enough Dylan threatened that on-line reviews could potentially result in him taking legal action against me!

Dylan has behaved in what I consider to be a very unpleasant and dishonourable manner towards people who are respectful and honest. I wander how many of his customers actually recieve their deposits back after leaving? I'm guessing any non-adherence to the unbelievably rigid 'instructions' may result in deductions. In our case it may have been the fact that we left the place in such good condition that meant he had to try other measures to retain our deposit. Be warned!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location
Liked least: The terrible customer service
Travelling group: With Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
18 Jun 2012
The content of this review have to be challenged and corrected as they stem from a biased and subjective reviewer.

Firstly, the main bathroom. The situation regarding the main bathroom is highlighted in all booking enquiry documents sent to potential guests. This states:
“Bed linen for following: 1st Bedroom: 1 king size bed with en suite bathroom consisting of bath, over bath shower, washbasin, 2nd Bedroom double bed. 3rd Bedroom – bottom double bunk bed & single top bunk bed. 2nd bathroom consisting of toilet and sink located on main landing.”

Furthermore this reviewer never raised this issue before no, so I find it odd that it appears now.

Secondly, the situation with the TV, which was not working when the guest departed, had to be independently verified by an appropriate person to establish why it wasn’t working. This happened during Easter which cause some delay. Once this was done all money due to the guest was returned. The amount reflected exactly what was used – as per the meter reading – and not a penny more. To imply that I’m trying to gain more money or withholding deposits’ from guests is without basis and factually incorrect, and simply serves as a ploy to try and smear my character. It is also libellous.

We have welcomed hundreds of guests to our cottages over the last 6 years, the majority of whom have commented on our professional service. None have been as unreasonable as this reviewer who was beyond reproach in her attitude, manner and behaviour. Thankfully we rarely come across such people, and to be honest could well do without.

All previous guests can verify we provide a first rate, lovely, clean cottage. I have no doubt this will be reflected in future trip advisor reviews.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing