“Small hotel in an old Coaching Inn”
Review of Talbot Hotel

Talbot Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berriew
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Because this is an old building the rooms vary widely. Room 4 should be avoided if you don't like steep steps and need WI-fi (not available in this room). Food is good and the restaurant is popular with the locals. There are other eating option somewhat near (you need a car). Parking can be an issue if you arrive late as the restaurant patrons use the car park.

Room Tip: Avoid room 4 if you need access to the internet from the room.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Dropped in after a walk. It was 2.10 pm and we asked if they were serving food? "We've finished now" was the very rapid response. I havent heard that for YEARS! So old-school. The pub up the road serves food all day so I wasnt stumped but its just sad to hear this old echo of the 1970's or eons ago in culinary hospitality terms.....Their loss.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
TheTalbotHotel, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

We finish taking orders for lunch at 1.45 and appreciate this may have been disappointing for you when you called in.

However, this was 25 minutes before you arrived - should I apologise that I did not hang around on the off chance you may have called in?

From your other reviews I notice that you like to feel you are getting value for money - similarly I like to offer value for money and to do this must keep a close eye on over heads, staffing being my biggest.

To serve food all day is not viable and I make no apologies for making decisions in the best interest of the business.

Pubs across the U.K. close every day because they are not profitable - maybe they had the right idea circa 1970 when the pub trade was thriving.

I wonder if next time you go to the supermarket you will be aggrieved if they will not serve you 25 minutes after they closed?!

It is disappointing to receive reviews such as yours - it's soul purpose being to harm our business.

I do not feel your custom was our lost - rather this review a telling reflection on Jeremy B.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

On arrival we ordered our drinks. I had ordered lemonade and lime cordial. I received soda water.
To start, I ordered a Greek salad and my partner had soup. To start off, the waitress brought out the wrong order. Once the correct order arrived, the Greek salad was wilted, brown and absolutely swimming in a very sweet and unpleasant shop bought tasting salad dressing. The soup was mediocre.
For my main I ordered the vegetarian chilli, which was cold when it arrived and had no heat or spice to it at all. I ordered a half of coke to drink which was flat when it arrived. The steak my boyfriend had ordered was cooked how he asked however the rest of his food wasn't very nice. On leaving I complained about the poor quality food. Apparently there was a problem with their pumps, hence the flat drinks. However they were knowingly serving flat drinks to people and didn't seem to care much when we complained. We won't be going back again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

We have no way of telling if the syrup in machine has run out mid service unless either someone gets soda instead lemonade or we happen to go down the cellar at that point when it runs out and as it comes in 7 litre boxes this is hard to judge as you can imagine! as for your complaint about the coke being flat we were having an issue but some people found it still to be fizzy enough for them hense us still selling it, the young waitress you dealt with didn't really know the problem with the machine until later on.
The same young waitress who took your order Miss heard your partner say soup she thought he said the same easy mistake to make, but so corrected error as soon as possible.
As for your disappointment with your Greek salad the dressing is not shop brought it is made in house and you are the only person I know of that hasn't liked it, I have been asked many times for the recipe.
As for your bean chilli it is one of our most popular veggie dishes and I'm sorry it wasn't to your tasting you could of asked for it to be spicier but we have to make it to a medium taste bud so we can spice it up if people would like! As for it being cold everything is probe tested before it leave this kitchen and I can assure you your dish was over the recommended temperature of 75 c set out by environment mental health.
Your comment about not coming back well we can't please everyone.

Reviewed 17 June 2017

Great little hotel, and good value, rooms comfortable, great welcome and such pleasant staff. Delightful food and cheap beer, what more could you want.
We had a lovely stay and will return. If you want a non pretentious hotel stay, this is for you.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Garlic mushrooms for starter, there was no garlic taste. It was just sliced mushrooms in butter.
Roast dinners were fine, good portion size and plenty of veg to go round. My dad had a vegetarian option and the portion was more like a child's portion size, it was a good job he could share our veg.
Dessert let the whole meal down. We had 3 brownies and 1 crumble. The crumble was served cold with about a teaspoon of ice cream placed on top. The brownies were also cold with a tiny bit of ice cream on the side. I noticed that there was baking paper on the bottom of my brownie, we sent them all back to be warmed up and the one brownie plate came back with some juice from the crumble on it.
Staff very unapologetic at the time of complaining and at the end when I left feedback for them paying the bill.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berriew
The Dragon Hotel
The Nags Head
The Nags Head
#2 of 2 in Garthmyl
Restaurant James Sommerin with Rooms

Been to Talbot Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK