Hoopers Bay Villas Exuma
Club Peace & Plenty(George Town)(Great Value!)
US$ 182
US$ 769
US$ 745
Island Time Villas(George Town)(Great Value!)
US$ 146
Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas(Long Island)
US$ 294
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Exuma Palms Hotel(Great Exuma)
No availability for your dates from our partners
St Francis Resort(Stocking Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
All reviewsthe cottagesplace to stayexumapanstaxisislandvacation
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Dear Sue,

I hope you will read this one day (we meant to write something in the guest book but forgot in the end). Thank you for everything! We absolutely loved the yellow villa! I'm so happy we didn't choose to stay in a hotel, it wouldn't be the same. The villa was in a great condition, very clean and had everything we needed (including fully equipped kitchen). Perfect for a family or friends (there were 4 of us there- my husband and I plus another couple).
For those who are considering going to Exuma- the villas are located just 2min walk from a lovely quiet beach, about 30-40min walk from George Town.

Agnes @ London

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Agnes_0202
Reviewed 5 March 2011

My husband and I just returned from 8 nights at Hooper's Bay Villas in the Yellow Elder cabin. We had been to Exuma once before and paid a huge premium to stay at Palm Bay Beach Club because it was on the water. While the two places aren't necessarily comparable (PBBC has a pool, restaurant, a front desk), staying off the water at Hooper's Bay Villas saved us a ton of money - money that was better spent on the amazing things Exuma has to offer. We knew going in that HBV was not on the water, and I was totally fine with that - most hotels in Exuma aren't on a beautiful, swimmable beach anyway. Luckily, it was a very short walk across the road to an amazing, peaceful, calm, gorgeous beach, where we were often the only people (except the sweet hotel dogs that came with us). The cottage itself was very well-equipped, the rooms were spacious and clean, and it was great to be able to cook breakfast for ourselves and dinner when we didn't feel like going out. My only complaint about the cottage is that the couch and the beds weren't very comfortable, but they were certainly functional and it wouldn't prevent me from going back there again. Bill the caretaker was pretty much always around if we needed anything, and the owners Bill and Sue addressed and questions and concerns very promptly. They were also running a great promotion that help make our vacation even more affordable. There are definitely much more luxurious places with more amenities where you could stay on the island, but you typically spend much of the day out on the beach, on day trips, over at the Chat n' Chill, etc., so there isn't much point at the end of the day when you can stay a lot more affordably at HBV. Another huge plus was the cable TV and the very fast wireless internet! If we go back to Exuma, we would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stjamesplace
Reviewed 24 February 2011

If your idea of the perfect vacation includes the sound of breaking waves, the most romantic, non-commercial calm beauty of a Caribbean beach then here you have chosen the right accomodation!
We arrived to the Bahamas and were picked up by a very friendly man Mr. Bill Curtis. Mr. Curtis brought us to our cottage where we immediately were greeted from two friendly dogs who whilst our stay became our personal bodyguards and friends.
Our well situated cottage was very clean and well run . The verandah in the front is ideal place to sit and enjoy a sun downer whilst watching the sun go down.
The cottage was equipt with bicycles so small tours to Gerge Town, Smitties and areas not too far from the accomodation were possible.
Next day we bought a few groceries from the near- by supermarket Smitties. Had absolutely no problems in buying what we wanted.(food, toiletry and drinks).
After stocking up on provisions we took the snorkeling equipment and water matresses that were available and spent the day on the beach.
Our bodyguards(the dogs) accompanied us to the beach. The water was a lovely turqoise blue and warm. Nice white sandy shores convenient esspecially for small toddlers, the water clean and warm.
Suzanne and her husband Michael were very helpful. As we are outdoor fireplace lovers Suzanne and Michael allowed us to make a small fire place near our cottage. We did just that and every night enjoyed watching the beautiful stars shinning in the Caribbean nights.
The owners gave us information about activities to do on the island and If any questions arose Suzanne dealt with it stright away.
The accomodation and the owners are very nice and helpful people.
We would recommend the accomodation to everyone who is wanting to relax and enjoy the beauty around.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank AustriaCalling
Reviewed 21 December 2010

I've been to Great Exuma for a couple of times and always stayed in the Yellow Cottage from the Hoopers Bay Villas.
Every time was great! Really cozy, very clean and confortable. You feel like home. The kitchen is spacious with everything you need, the beds are very confortable, the outside porch is very cute and it is a pleasure to have your morning coffee there or watch the stars at night.
The rooms are decorated in Bahamian style. Each of the 4 cottages has a different color. Inside you can really feel the holiday vibe.
The internet connection is the best on the island, wireless and good speed.
Just across the street you find one of the most beautiful beaches in the Exumas - Hooper's Bay Beach.
Really close (5 min walk) from the villas you find Smittie's supermarket where you can find everything you need. If you want even a bigger variety of food and beverages you can chose to go to the Grocery in GeorgeTown (5 min by car).
If you want to try some Bahamian food you can go to "FishFry" , really close to the Villas, a small bay on the left side just before you reach the centre of Georgetown where you can eat delicious Bahamian specialities for a small amount of money. There are 4 or 5 small restaurants (cottages) form which you can choose an then serve your lunch by the ocean at one of the cute tables.
You can find some bigger and elegant restaurants to serve your dinner in the centre of Georgetown.
Sue, the person to whom I always speak when I want to rent the cottage is really nice and helpful. She gave me the best advice about the isands and always helped me with everything I needed.
I plan to come back to the Exumas in april - may 2011 and for sure I will chose the same accommodation - Hoopers Bay Villas!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AdinaD
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Just got back from Hoopers Bay Villas (Nov 28-Dec5 2010).
Us: my husband, a friend, and me - all middle-aged beach lovers.

Overall a very good, reasonably priced place to stay on Exuma.

In comparison to other Housekeeping Cottages I have stayed a,t it was just fine.
Very clean, kitchen well stocked with pots and pans and appliances. ( Needs a bottle opener and can opener though)
Lots of towels (another face cloth would have been good though).

Everything worked.

A few minor maintenance etc issues - only 2 of which I will mention (I did report all of them to the owner).
The two issues that could impact on someone's stay (in a minor way). They really did not bother us much.
1. The couch is broken. My 150 lb husband sat on one side of it and slowly sank to the floor. On examination it looks like the frame on one side is broken.
2. One of the beach chairs is broken and unusable.

The two dogs that hang out at the cottages are lovely, good natured and well-behaved. They really enjoyed walking or going to the beach with us. If you stay here, please be kind to them.

Which brings me to beach access- which I will discuss in some detail - since it appears to be an issue for some people.

The beach at Hoopers Bay ABSOLUTELY IS a 5 minute walk from the cottages. Why people choose to be untruthful about this is beyond me. I can only assume one of two things - they are seriously directionally challenged OR they have some agenda.

Bill the caretaker is friendly AND helpful and will give very good directions to the beach is you ask him.

There are actually TWO ways to get there:
1. Directly across the main road (which is steps from the cottage) there is an abandoned property. You can proceed through it and be on the beach in less than 5 minutes. There are lots of pricklies - so wear proper footwear or your feet will be very sorry. This is all quite level but there are a few tripping possibilities (it is an abandoned property) so walk carefully
2. The "Official" Beach access - VERY clearly marked. When you get to the main road, turn LEFT and the "Beach Access" sign is about a 5 minute walk down the main road (once you round the curve in the road you will see it - between the pink and blue houses)
The path is a bit easier than route 1 (and clearly marked and obvious). The only challenge in this path is the steepish descent to the beach at the end (hopefully some stairs will eventually get built). Once again (because of the steepish descent) wear proper footwear. I have bad knees and with a little assistance from my husband I made it down the descent safely. In total (for a slow walker like me) it takes about 10 minutes to get from the cottage to the beach using route 2.

The beach at Hoopers Bay is absolutely gorgeous and most of the time we had it to ourselves.

So - in conclusion, it you want a bargain vacation (on what is otherwise a rather expensive island) with kitchen facilities - this is a good choice. If you require pampering and resort facilities - it is not for you. we liked it very much and may go back some day.

• Stayed: November 2010