“Rescued by the laughing bird (or rooster?)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eleuthera
Laughing Bird Apartments
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We had never been to the Bahamas and were unprepared for the more simple apartments in Governor' Harbour. After fleeing from one very dirty and insect infested hotel room that we booked months in advance we found The Laughing Bird with the help of the extremely kind local citizens.
It was cleaner, less expensive, and the hostess (known to all as Nurse Jean) was very friendly and went out of her way to make the remainder of our stay on Eleuthra as enjoyable as possible. However, as prior reviews read, the interior suites could use a make-over. The mattress springs on my bed poked into my back and I tried to remedy this with towels between the sheets and my spine. The apartment in general was clean yet looked dingy due to stains on the tile flooring, counter, and sinks. The towels were very worn and could use replacing but compared to our initially booked suite this bathroom looked like a palace. Hot water was always available. We never had to try out the air conditioning unit. Regular room service is nonexistent and fresh linens/towels were available on request. The surrounding gardens were peaceful, well maintained and just off the main road/drag. The view of the caribbean water (not the beach) on the small ground patio made one forget you were in the middle of a small town and within walking distance to grocery stores, banks, bakeries, and local restaurants. A collection of chickens wandered around the property and caused no problems except on a few early mornings when the roosters made their presence known!
The best part of the stay was the local people who were the most gracious I have ever met on my numerous travels. The Atlantic beaches were fantastic with the pink sand and if you yearned for more trendy bars/restaurants they were not far away. Rent a car as there are few places to hike other than the beaches. Roads are narrow but when you choose to tread on them you will receive countless offers for a free ride from the locals. We took a taxi tour of the island with a driver recommendation by Nurse Jean and received an excellent review of the islands history.
If you don't want to spend loads of money and don't expect The Sands Resort- like amenities then the Laughing Bird will accommodate you.

Room Tip: Word of mouth
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank robinson_705
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

I have been living on the south end of Eleuthera for 6 months, and had family visit for the first time last week. As a 20-something with a family who likes to see the local sights, we wanted to stay at a place further north on the island, so that we could hit up the tourist spots that central and north Eleuthera have to offer (e.g., Glass Window Bridge, Hatchet Bay Caves, Harbor Island and Spanish Wells, beaches in Gregorytown and James Cistern). I had never stayed at a hotel outside of South Eleuthera, but I was pleasantly surprised by what Laughing Bird apartments had to offer.

Miss Jean is extremely hospitable. One reviewer mentioned that it took them an hour to check in because she was so chatty. News flash- this is the Bahamas! People are personable and like to chat and share life experiences. I rather enjoyed hearing about how the island used to be when Miss Jean was a young girl. There is wi-fi, but it wouldn't reach to our room. Miss Jean said she had "extenders," but I just used the internet in the adjacent room (we rented a 4 person apt and an adjacent 2 person apt). For 6 people it totaled a little less than $300/night, which is not cheap, but not unreasonable. If you find somewhere touting rates cheaper than that in Eleuthera, then don't be surprised if you drive up to a dilapidated building in the brush, far off from the beach.

The beach was a 1 minute walk (if that) across a back road, and you have a beautiful ocean view from the back patios of the apartments. We had fun times beach combing (found some antique glass bottles) and fishing (got some amber jacks and barracuda). For dinner, you can purchase lobster off the pier right down the street, and Miss Jean has a grill available for use (although we had to purchase the charcoal). The grocery store is really close, along with the liquor store, though I would recommend going by rented car rather than walking (if you plan on picking up a lot of food or beer!). You can cook right in the rooms, which have full kitchens. My one suggestion is to check the temp setting of the fridge/freezer. Ours was set so low our beer wouldn't get cold!! (I know, such a tragedy). There is also a lovely bakery just down the road open early morning that the family loved.

I would highly recommend Laughing Bird apartments, because they are straightforward with what they have to offer, and they have a nice quiet location off the main road in Governor's Harbor. Thanks for reading! :)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We arrived at LB and were greeted by Mrs. Jean. She drove us around some to show us where a few things were. Our apartment was clean and decorated nice with fresh flowers. Our entire trip was great anything we needed we simply asked. We are so excited to loan a trip yo return one day. Thank you Eleuthera for being so nice and beautiful. It was hard to leave so coming back is a must!

Room Tip: All rooms face the bay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SCMT80
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I have now been to Laughing Bird on three occasions, as an obsessive Bone Fisherman and on a very tight budget I can with hand on heart say these apartments are not only great value, but also provide for all my needs.

A place to lay my head at night after a long days fishing in surroundings that are very pleasant indeed. Clean, comfortable and close to town I found this accommodation not only perfect for me, but my hosts whilst doing all they could for me were not at all intrusive.

I love the Bahamas, (particularly Eleuthera) and love my Bone Fishing more, and in my opinion Laughing Bird Apartments ticks most if not all my boxes.

With a fair wind I hope to be re booking for April/May of next year and can't wait to get back out there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Tony W
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is an immaculately clean and comfortable group of self-catering apartments on the edge of Governor's Harbour. The apartments are set in a beautiful garden across the road from the beach and are a short walk from all the restaurants in the town. The owner - Mrs Davies - is charming and very helpful, while never intruding on your privacy. Her ancestral family are long established in Eleuthera and she enthusiastically offers advice and whatever help you need.

My wife and I stayed there for a very relaxing few days in June. The Caribbean-side beach is one minute away and nice to sit beside. The really stunning local beach is the so-called Club Med Beach whose closest point is about one and a half miles away, though the pedestrian access point with a nice restaurant alongside is about two miles away. The Club Med from which the beach gets its name is long since closed down and we had the many-miles of world-class pink sandy beach to ourselves. The beach is on the Atlantic side of the island and to get there on foot from Governor's Harbour requires walking up a steep hill and down the other side, which is not for the faint hearted. I recommend instead that you hire a car and use Laughing Bird as a base to explore the southern reaches of Eleuthera in the mornings and relax in the afternoons on Club Med beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple