See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I have been living on the south end of Eleuthera for 6 months, and had family visit for the first time last week. As a 20-something with a family who likes to see the local sights, we wanted to stay at a place further north on the island, so that we could hit up the tourist spots that central and north Eleuthera have to offer (e.g., Glass Window Bridge, Hatchet Bay Caves, Harbor Island and Spanish Wells, beaches in Gregorytown and James Cistern). I had never stayed at a hotel outside of South Eleuthera, but I was pleasantly surprised by what Laughing Bird apartments had to offer.

Miss Jean is extremely hospitable. One reviewer mentioned that it took them an hour to check in because she was so chatty. News flash- this is the Bahamas! People are personable and like to chat and share life experiences. I rather enjoyed hearing about how the island used to be when Miss Jean was a young girl. There is wi-fi, but it wouldn't reach to our room. Miss Jean said she had "extenders," but I just used the internet in the adjacent room (we rented a 4 person apt and an adjacent 2 person apt). For 6 people it totaled a little less than $300/night, which is not cheap, but not unreasonable. If you find somewhere touting rates cheaper than that in Eleuthera, then don't be surprised if you drive up to a dilapidated building in the brush, far off from the beach.

The beach was a 1 minute walk (if that) across a back road, and you have a beautiful ocean view from the back patios of the apartments. We had fun times beach combing (found some antique glass bottles) and fishing (got some amber jacks and barracuda). For dinner, you can purchase lobster off the pier right down the street, and Miss Jean has a grill available for use (although we had to purchase the charcoal). The grocery store is really close, along with the liquor store, though I would recommend going by rented car rather than walking (if you plan on picking up a lot of food or beer!). You can cook right in the rooms, which have full kitchens. My one suggestion is to check the temp setting of the fridge/freezer. Ours was set so low our beer wouldn't get cold!! (I know, such a tragedy). There is also a lovely bakery just down the road open early morning that the family loved.

I would highly recommend Laughing Bird apartments, because they are straightforward with what they have to offer, and they have a nice quiet location off the main road in Governor's Harbor. Thanks for reading! :)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We arrived at LB and were greeted by Mrs. Jean. She drove us around some to show us where a few things were. Our apartment was clean and decorated nice with fresh flowers. Our entire trip was great anything we needed we simply asked. We are so excited to loan a trip yo return one day. Thank you Eleuthera for being so nice and beautiful. It was hard to leave so coming back is a must!

Room Tip: All rooms face the bay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SCMT80
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I have now been to Laughing Bird on three occasions, as an obsessive Bone Fisherman and on a very tight budget I can with hand on heart say these apartments are not only great value, but also provide for all my needs.

A place to lay my head at night after a long days fishing in surroundings that are very pleasant indeed. Clean, comfortable and close to town I found this accommodation not only perfect for me, but my hosts whilst doing all they could for me were not at all intrusive.

I love the Bahamas, (particularly Eleuthera) and love my Bone Fishing more, and in my opinion Laughing Bird Apartments ticks most if not all my boxes.

With a fair wind I hope to be re booking for April/May of next year and can't wait to get back out there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Tony W
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is an immaculately clean and comfortable group of self-catering apartments on the edge of Governor's Harbour. The apartments are set in a beautiful garden across the road from the beach and are a short walk from all the restaurants in the town. The owner - Mrs Davies - is charming and very helpful, while never intruding on your privacy. Her ancestral family are long established in Eleuthera and she enthusiastically offers advice and whatever help you need.

My wife and I stayed there for a very relaxing few days in June. The Caribbean-side beach is one minute away and nice to sit beside. The really stunning local beach is the so-called Club Med Beach whose closest point is about one and a half miles away, though the pedestrian access point with a nice restaurant alongside is about two miles away. The Club Med from which the beach gets its name is long since closed down and we had the many-miles of world-class pink sandy beach to ourselves. The beach is on the Atlantic side of the island and to get there on foot from Governor's Harbour requires walking up a steep hill and down the other side, which is not for the faint hearted. I recommend instead that you hire a car and use Laughing Bird as a base to explore the southern reaches of Eleuthera in the mornings and relax in the afternoons on Club Med beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gerald-Hylda
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I have been to Eleuthera three or four times over the last twenty-five years. The first time I stayed at the Cigatoo Inn, then discovered the Laughing Bird. I have stayed at Laughing Bird now three times. First of all this is Island Living in the true sense. If you are a wimp and can't take the tropics, then don't complain about bugs, it is tropical, that means mosquitoes, and no-seeums. I have never seen a flea at the Laughing Bird and to say it is flea ridden just shows you don't know a flea from a mosquito. Maybe go to Las Vegas instead!? I have always loved the people and have earned a lovely set of island friends through the years. I am a watercolorist and first went to Eleuthera following the painting trail of Winslow Homer. It is a breathtalingly beautiful place and I am planning to go again and again. Nurse Jean, Thank you, Brent, Thank You and I look forward to see if you finished the oven!! To all my friend I will be back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: All are good at Laughing Bird, bring bug repellant.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple