All reviews an adventure golf cart fish star resort hog dougie spear whaler gears conch dolphins runway excursions hilton
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

I can’t stop thinking about our amazing trip to South Bimini & our fantastic stay w/ Douglas. He is a wonderful host & his expertise in the water made our trip even more special. My husband & I love being on & in the water, and the waters of Bimini are amazing. We snorkeled w/ dolphins, sharks, a ship wreck & relaxed on the beach. Our breakfasts & dinners were delicious too. We can’t wait to go back! Thanks, Doug, for everything!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Doug was a very welcoming and easy to speak to host. Suslin, his parter, was a FANTASTIC cook. Although we booked Doug’s place for 4 nights, we decided to forfeit our payment, even though Doug offered a partial refund, to move across to North Bimini because there really isn’t much to do on South Bimini unless the beach and diving are your main goals. Also, I suffered from allergies on the ground floor, and feared an asthma attack. Doug has cats, which stay outside, but if you are ultra sensitive, you may want to brink what you need just in case.

Doug’s place is very much cabin style accommodation, and unlike in the big hotels, there are water and electricity restrictions in private homes. We did stay the 1 night, and the upstairs was very comfortable, although not altogether private. We had problems with the shower, which we were told to keep short, but it took quite a while for the hot water to kick in and was very difficult to adjust while trying to catch the drip coming down from the rain-style shower head. If a good shower is not a priority, the room is spacious and comfortable with total blackout drapes.

You can’t wear shoes inside, and the stairs and decks are unfinished wood, but if you have tough soles or bring inside slippers it should not be a problem.

NB: there is no WiFi at this property, and the golf cart did not have brakes when we were there... check with the host to find out if this is still correct.

Even though we decided to leave early, Doug was plaisant, made us pancakes and drove us to the ferry. We appreciated his kindness.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2018

There is a quote about traveling that I really keep close to heart, and it says:
“Travel is the only thing you spend money on, that makes you richer”. And I have always made sure every place we touch ground on, even for a few days, will give us something to make us better people.
Long story short, these few days spent with Doug and his little "gang", did exactly that. My husband and I go home knowing a little more about how extraordinary simple life can be, and how far a good laugh, some great stories, and living of what earth gifts us with can go. Doug shared his time, experience, and daily life with us, taking us snorkeling in the best unbeaten spots, doing his very best to catch some great fish to grill for dinner (Oh, please you have to try his fried conch!!!), telling us so many great stories about Bimini, and their lives over there. He was not only a great host, but the best possible guide we could have, to live the way bahamians live.
If you expect a resort, this place is not for you. BUT if you are looking to learn, explore, share, EXPERIENCE at 360 degrees, Doug's place truly is the best. And you'll feel right home.
So THANK YOU Doug, from the bottom of our hearts, for all of it: the kindness, the time dedicated to us, the snorkeling and fishing on the whaler (which brought me back to miles and miles -and years- ago), the experience you shared with us, the lessons you taught us, and the GREAT food.

Thank you guys for sharing with us how family is not always matter of blood, and richness is far from material but lives in the heart of the great people like you guys.

Thank you for making this weekend unforgettable, unique, and an amazing -360degree- learning experience. Until we meet again!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2018

Upon coming to the house the host ( Doug) greeted us with a smile and warm hug. Seeing as though me and my partner have been to this location before, a tour of the home was not needed. The beautiful two story home has a way of making you feel at home. The first day there we were on the boat to see sharks.He found a great spot where there multiple sharks with small fish. We snorkeled with the sharks and had a blast. The rest of the trip went by with a breeze. Waking up to the smell of a delicious breakfast,using his personal golf cart to travel around, and enjoying the amazing scenery. I highly recommend Hog Haven to everyone. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Top floor is absolutely gorgeous
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2018

What can I say?

This was my third trip to Bimini since my first trip on New Year's 2015. This time around, less than a year had passed since my previous visit in Feb 2017. Nothing has changed. It is as good as ever. To be honest, I am conflicted whether I should review at all-- On one hand, I feel I have found a slice of paradise, and I want Hog Haven all to myself. On the other hand, every time I think of Bimini, I can hardly contain myself. I just want to share it with the world.

All things considered, and as much of a friend Doug has become, he is running a business. Hog haven is his livelihood, and a means for Doug to help the community. It just wouldn't be fair to keep it a secret.

So here I am, sharing it with the world.

Beach? Check. 1 mile of white sand on turquoise water. it's a five minute walk or one minute on the complimentary golf cart. We saw 3 people on the beach the entire week we were there. Beautiful water, wild coconuts, bonfires, spearfishing. Enough privacy to do whatever you want...

Food? Check. How does freshly caught lobster, conch and fish every night sound? This is consistent with the other reviews here. Doug spears them himself. This is included. For those of you with Ostraconophobia, he's got chicken and ribs in the freezer.

Excursions? Check. This one is tricky. I know what I like to do. But Doug has a way of determining what YOU want to do. I have brought enough friends to Hog haven, and realized that as a host, Doug is a Chameleon. If you are looking for an adventure, ask him to take you to swim with the sharks or dolphins. Want a local experience in North Bimini? Dougie is essentially a local and knows all the right people. Want to tag along with him to go fish for dinner? He's got extra gear for you. Want to go to the Hilton and lounge by the pool, or relax at the beach and do nothing? Doug gets it. He will see you at dinner time.

For my first two trips, I flew down in my little plane. South Bimini has a nice long, well maintained runway and an efficient customs office. Doug will be there with the golf cart to pick you up. Just look for the handsome pirate looking fellow with the 'stache and bare feet. This time around, we flew with Tropic Ocean Airways. It was cheaper than the ferry. Highly recommended.

Hog haven is not a 5 star resort. It is a house with character that Doug built himself. But it is clean and comfortable. The master bedroom (entire upstairs) is really nice, with a view of the ocean and a balcony to smoke cigars, drink rum and watch the sunset.

So there is my review.

I just hope there will be a vacancy for my next booking in a couple months...

-Brien

Room Tip: Master bedroom, view of ocean with balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family