All reviews dive staff shark dive conch fritters andros island blue hole jeff birch other guests hot tub dive resort great diving new friends laid back fish family atmosphere non divers buffet style ping pong
Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

Small Hope Bay lodge feels like a family cottage. Friendly, interesting people, good food and a beautiful location. It’s not luxurious, but it’s comfortable and clean, and the food is varied and delicious.
The dive masters are excellent and the equipment is in good shape.
A very enjoyable experience

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2018

This girl from NYC highly recommends Small Hope Bay Lodge. If you're looking for a remote island to decompress, get off the grid and relax Small Hope Bay Lodge is for you. My husband and I traveled with our three children ages 16, 13 and 7. It was wonderful to not have to worry about them at all. They were able to wander, explore and navigate the resort completely by themselves. The staff treated them like family. They played games with them, engaged in conversation and educated them on diving. My 7 year old actually was able to try scuba engaging in a "SASSY" class. Dan, a fantastic instructor had my son dive with a "mini" tank, regulator around the dock. He did a refresher class for my 10 year old. My three children cannot stop talking about not having to wear shoes for a week. It was wonderful to watch them enjoy this resort without their phones, I pads, and TV. Nightly, they would play ping pong, board games, watch dive videos of the day with the most engaging staff. My husband and I would go to bed and my teenagers would spend the evening chatting and engaging with the other same ages guests and dive staff.

The accomodations are very rustic, but to be honest, we all got the best sleep of our lives listening to the ocean waves at night. The kids loved the outdoor showers. The food was all buffet style and the children enjoyed this option. The dive staff would have dinner with us and they were a complete delight. The food was plentiful, tasteful and healthy. Every night, the kids enjoyed warm, home made baked cookies.

After completing over 75 dives, I can honestly say this operation was the SAFEST that I have ever encountered. They taught us how to manage and set up our equipment. After my instruction, when asked, the instructors gladly set up by equipment with a smile. I have never had dive instructors watching us so carefully. This gave me such peace of mind, especially diving with children. They never cut corners and made me feel completely safe...even when diving at 150 feet! The dive sites were carefully chosen and were varied and spectacular. We actually did the Shark Feeding dive with our children. The sharks were so graceful and the kids enjoyed collecting shark teeth. It created memories that are going to last a lifetime. For my family that did not dive, they were able to snorkle on the surface on this dive. For other dives, my nanny and two children were dropped off on a a peaceful, beautiful remote island while we were diving. My 7 year old saw dolphin, sharks, rays and turtles on this small island. After diving, we picked them up and they were filled with stories and smiles. Dan, Sara, Dennis, Mike, Francesc made our trip such a success. They were the BEST dive masters that I have ever encountered.

I highly recommend this dive resort for families, and for those that want to escape the pressures of every day life. It was so remote, off the beaten path and peaceful. It is impossible not to relax here. After this trip, my husband and I feel like were are much better divers. Although, the accomodations are not glitzy, we have had FIVE STAR memories and experiences at the Small Hope Bay Lodge. I personally, thank the entire staff for making us feel so welcome and like family.

Date of stay: August 2018
5  Thank Melanie B
Reviewed 6 August 2018

We flew into Fresh Creek on a 6:45am Watermaker Air flight. By 8:45am we were being offered a full breakfast and having conversations with many of the wonderful staff that work at Small Hope. Once we settled into our quaint, clean cabin, we knew we had made a good decision in selecting this resort for our Bahamas vacation. From beautiful snorkeling right off the beach, to trips on the boat with the scuba crew, there were always opportunities to get in the water. Small Hope offers a free lesson for the people who want to try scuba. Our son did this, and was hooked! The dive staff, including Frances, Dan, Sara, Dennis, Michael, and intern Emma, made all the dive/snorkel trips fun and easy. Alex was an awesome and entertaining boat captain, and for bone fishing, Ricardo Mackey is your go to. We had a great time with him, and caught many bone fish, a first for our family. Ricardo can be reached at ricardomackey-.bonefishing@gmail.com, or 1-242-368-5029. On to food..Every meal offered a ton of food, and all of it was delicious. The staff was attentive and so nice. We loved every minute of our stay at Small Hope, and can't wait to return. It is our new FAVORITE Place. Thank you, Jeff, Casey, Anastasia, Nikki, J and all the other staff for an amazing trip!!

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Firstly we flew in to Andros Island from Ft. Lauderdale on Watermakers Air. What a pleasure, such a quick enjoyable flight. After a short taxi ride we arrived at Small Hope where we were greeted with warm hugs and smiles. Our room was lovely and comfortable. The all-inclusive food was very tasty. The open bar made for wonderful happy hours. Don't forget the conch fritters, amazing. Now for the best of Small Hope, scuba diving. We absolutely loved the Blue Hole. The dive masters, Daniel, Franchesco, Robert were so helpful and knowledgeable. Sara and Emma were lovely at the bar and diving. Young Mike and Christian go over and beyond. The warm smiles never stop from the kitchen staff. Jeff who runs this family resort was a pleasure and made us feel like family and his son Brian equally so sweet. There's so many lovely people at Small Hope! The other guests were quick friends. I absolutely give this dive establishment 5 stars!
Way to go Small Hope, we will see you again very soon.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2018

The staff and all the people at Small Hope Bay will not disapoint. I have visited more than once!
Fresh fish and freiendly service. An at home vibe!

I am not sure if Jeff is still the owner. He is genuine and kind.

Date of stay: August 2017