All reviews dive staff shark dive conch fritters andros island blue hole jeff birch other guests hot tub dive resort great diving new friends laid back fish family atmosphere buffet style experienced divers ping pong
Reviewed 3 April 2011

If you are interested in a trip to the Bahamas that avoids the crowds, Small Hope Bay Lodge is the place to go. The staff is utterly amazing, with excellent food, a beautiful location, and unbelievable snorkeling, diving, and fishing. Any small hiccups are immediately resolved by the staff!!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2011

This is perhaps my sixth or seventh visit to Small Hope since the early to mid 1990s. As always, it satisfied in every way: friendly, relaxed enviropnment, great diving, beautiful waters, helpful staff, guests one enjoys having a conversation with. The dive staff is superb as they combine safety with convience and excitement. The food this time seemed somewhat better than last. My next stage during my next visit will be fishing. Haven't tried that yet and diving will naturally be on my agenda. This a superior place to visit with your family, spouse or solo. I've been here with my family and by myself . I hated to leave.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Absolute relaxation - NO STRESS, 1950's rustic, Chillaxtion....If you want the place to go that reminds you of the low key days of your childhood this is it. Roll out of bed to breakfast - go dive, snorkel, sail, READ A BOOK, not be bothered, eat lunch, repeat, eat dinner - share happy hour with other guests, eat dinner and JUST RELAX this is the place. Our teenagers had a great time - imagine that - no texting, cell phones, nor tv and they STILL LOVED IT. The Bike rides are great. Do not go here if all you want to do is shop - not a big option. Go here if you want an inclusive place, with friendly staff, friendly guest and NO HUGE CROWDS. Bring a sweatshirt, just for the evening hours - not cold, just breezy.....There is a game room and a hot tub that were the teenager hangout ... We have 2 teenagers, one that loves the water and the other that really doesn't and BOTH WANT TO RETURN.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank susanh_11
Reviewed 20 March 2011

With a direct flight to Nassau and then a short ride in a small plane from the same airport I found Small Hope Bay Lodge very easy to get to for a diving vacation.

From many dive sites, including specialty dives and blue holes, to discover scuba there seems to be lots to do under the water. If that isn't for you there is always taking a kayak or sail boat out for a spin. Or going on a bike ride through the countryside and visiting the local shops and people. And there are always nature walks if you just need some quite time.

If you need to keep in touch with the outside world they provide wireless Internet in the lounge.

The chef and his kitchen staff served food that was absolutely amazing. The office staff would go out of their way to ensure that you are having a great time and if you needed something all you had to do is ask. And I found the dive staff to be very knowledgeable in all the dive sites that the resort has to offer.

I have to mention that while I was there the resort hosted a wedding for a young couple. A wedding that I'm sure they will never forget. Also, a person had a birthday. Once again the kitchen staff rose to the occasion and made a birthday cake. It was very touching to see that all the staff truly cares about creating the best vacation that you could possible have while on an island.

Overall I found this all-inclusive resort on Andros Island in the Bahamas to be a hidden gem just off the beaten path.

Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2011

My family had a wonderful experience on Spring Break at Small Hope Bay Lodge! It was the perfect amount of recreation and relaxation for all of us. We are an active family (with an 11 year old daughter and a 15 year old son) and this was one of our best vacations.

We loved the laid-back atmosphere of Small Hope Bay - but with plenty of activity, should you want it. The Intro-to-dive lesson was great. (The Dive-Masters were particularly patient with our 11 yr. old). We enjoyed diving, snorkeling, kyaking, and hammocking! My husband and son went on a full-day bone-fishing excursion one day, while my daughter and I built sand castles, took a nature hike, and had a tour of the Island's Batik factory.

Meals and daily Happy Hour are enjoyed with other Small Hope Bay guests either outside or in the lodge, depending on the weather. Our family is very sociable, so this was a plus for us. The staff was friendly and helpful, and added to the family atmosphere of the resort. I felt that my children were safe, and they ran around freely - as the resort is small - so they were never far.

It was the perfect unplugged non-comercial vacation! We can't wait to go back!

• Trip type: Travelled with family