“Graduation vacation - GREAT family memories”

The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Pittsfield, Il
“Graduation vacation - GREAT family memories”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Well, I don't know where to begin. I read at least 1000 reviews before leaving for the Bahamas....so I feel as if I was very prepared...I thought I would try and share our experience here and hope that it can help someone else....
As so many others have said - YES - Atlantis is EXPENSIVE...it is an Island. Everything is imported, so it will be more expensive. Therefore, plan accordingly. My family of 6 stayed in a condo at the Reef - I packed an entire suitcase with food. What did I take? Licorice, fruit snacks, spaghetti, sauce, pop tarts, bagels, oatmeal, tuna, chips, nuts, granola bars, cereal, peanut butter, bologna, cheese, and ham (that I had frozen and took out of the freezer on the way to the airport), coffee, creamers (because I am picky)....AND...we had our taxi driver stop at the grocery store where we purchased ALL of our water, beer, alcohol, milk, fruit, eggs, and a few other items....we ate every breakfast and lunch in the room, took all of our own snacks and beer or water to the pool and I think saved a TON of money doing this. I did have a couple $12 Kahlua coladas at the poolside bar...well worth it!!! I had taken a collapsible cooler to take to the pool - but it was NOT on wheels....I highly recommend you take one and make sure it has wheels!!!!

Our family was at the Reef for 8 nights and 9 days...a very long time - but we planned accordingly. I will say - 9 days was a bit too long....but I had my husband and my 18, 10, 8 and 7 year olds.....I was just very tired at the end..

We swam with the dolphins - very nice - and you will have the chance to buy some photos at the end,,,,,try to negotiate - otherwise the prices are way out of whack,,,but glad I got the few that I did. If you want to swim with the sea lions schedule EARLY - they sell out fast.

The spa was amazing...absolutley LOVED it - although they did not have the supplies for the first two options I wanted, they treated me wonderfully...and they had a great promo going on so the price was definitely right.

Straw Market - OK...I loved it...but I am a FIERCE negotiator - it was a blast....good luck finding anything made in the bahamas...but they did have some cool stuff!!

We walked through the DIG twice and I think my entire family could have stood there all day....well worth it - and to top it off, we were there the 4th of July - best fireworks I have ever seen, except for the Washington D.C.....seriously awesome!!!

The best advice I have - SMILE.....if you THINK someone is being rude, smile at them and I promise you they will smile back. I read so many reviews about RUDE employees...well - I knew what I was spending on this vacation and I refused to allow someones bad day ruin it for my family...we talked to everyone and they talked back!!!! It was a wonderful time - I would definitely go back with my kids....but my husband and I both agree that Atlantis is probably a bit pricey if you are just interested in a beach vacation......but go and ENJOY!!!!!

Room Tip: I love a view - and the Reef has some AMAZING views!!!! GO as high as you possibly can - when you c...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank BeckyMcCartney
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2012

we stayed here for the spring break and it was a little too hectic for me, i recommend both for cost and enjoyment come here out of season and you will enjoy it more.

crowds, lines and be expected to wait for all the restaurant.

the hotel is pleasant effort, however the staff need more training and are rarely there to answer ant questions.

condo hotel so the rooms are spacious,but expensive.

Room Tip: try booking all the restaurant in advance otherwise you may not get into anywhere you want, also loo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I recently traveled to the Reef with my husband for a quick three night stay at the Reef. We arrived around 7pm on a Saturday night, and check-in was quick and easy. We were given a map of the property, the Atlantean (newsletter w/daily activities), as well as reminded of our dinner reservations. We were in an ocean view studio on the 20th floor – corner room with a wrap-around balcony and a stunning view! The rooms at the Reef are residences so they have a small refrigerator, cook top, microwave, toaster, blender, and coffee maker, as well as all of the pans, utensils, plates, etc. It would be great for families with the extra room and ability to cook some meals. The bath was spacious with separate tub and shower, and the bath products (from Red Flower) were a nice size.

We did visit the Marina Village that evening for dinner and to watch the Junkanoo Parade (Saturdays @ 9:30pm and Wednesdays @9pm). The shuttle service was convenient, especially since the Reef is at one end of the property.

After obtaining our wristbands at the towel hut every morning, we were usually at one of the pools near the Current around 10am and never had trouble finding a chair. We did eat lunch every day at the poolside cafe/grills and found the value meals to be one of the best deals on the property!

All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again if we return to Atlantis.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank trvljess
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We just came back from a split stay at the Atlantis. The first 4 nights our family of 5 stayed at the Reef. We arrived by Kens Limo (I highly recommend). As soon as we arrive we enter the beautiful, modern and clean lobby, checked in and went up to our amazing room that had a perfect view- 16th floor room 925. To the right of our balcony the beach, ahead you can see the cruise ships, the boat house that gets blown up in the original James Bond movie, the harbor and to the left Dolphin Cay. The room was comfortable. The small kitchen provided everything we needed to prepare our own breakfast and lunch everyday along with dish soap, dishwasher soap and anything else you may have needed. Ladies bring your bubble bath, after a long day the tub felt amazing. The walk in shower was big. If you have small children you might want to lay a towel down in the shower as the tiles are very slick. The bathroom toiletries were quite nice and even the hairdryer was a better quality than most other hotels. They do have washers/dryers on the second floor if you want to do some laundry bring your detergent packs. We called guest services for extra towels and Starbucks coffee which were brought up promptly and then we received a call to make sure we received them. Everyone opened doors for us and smiled and said hello. The beach outside of the Reef is exclusive to the Reef and Cove only,,,and it is amazing like your own private beach. Right outside the Reef is the towel hut where you can get your towels and wrist bands. The Cascade pool is right around the corner. It is a nice pool but it closes at 6 which is an hour earlier than the other pools. If you have little ones they have life jackets around all of the pools. There is also a Starbucks Coffee on the first floor around the corner from guest services with prices comparable to the U.S. Just outside they have large Papasan chairs which were great for my afternoon "quiet" time where I would lay and read a book. Take advantage of the concierge to make your reservations. Local calls are 1.99 and are billed to your room. We checked our bill everyday on the tv-Atlantis Folio and never had an issue. Transportation between the hotels comes fairly quickly, the walk is not bad either though. We walked during the day and took the Atlantis transportation during the evening. If you don't want to wait ask the Limo drivers how much they would charge. On 2 occasions we received a complimentary ride to the Royal Towers and Marina Village (tip was provided). After staying at 3 different Atlantis properties I would recommend the Reef to anyone- It is a far different experience from the Coral Towers. Make sure you bring your sunscreen, it runs about $30 in the gift shop and if you get a sweet craving try the Nassau Chocolate Rum cake in the gift shop. It's $7 and yummy!! The room service prices are high! Yogurt after delivery fee and gratuity ends up being almost $20...however they sell yoplait in the gift shop for $2. If you plan on cooking have your driver stop at the grocery store in Nassau and pick up what ever you may need and enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: 16925 16927 will provide views of beach harbor even numbers will provide garden/pool beach views o...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Williamsland
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We just came back from our vacations at the Bahamas and we are very pleased with the overall experience! The hotel was great: great environment for a family, the employees are very kind and ready to assist you in what you need, the room is great, new and very well maintained, and the bathroom is really nice! Pools and beach are amazing too! Definetly going back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
0.1 km away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
1.0 km away
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
7.4 km away
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
0.8 km away
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK