“Spectacular hotel a great choice for families”

The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I did a lot of research before I booked The Reef hotel at Atlantis for our family vacation. That research definitely paid off. There are a lot of complaints about the pricing/cost at Atlantis, here's what you need to know the Carribean is EXPENSIVE it doesn't matter where you stay, it is just extremely expensive, some places more than others. Any island including Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket needs to ship everything there by plane or boat which makes things expensive. If you are looking for an economical vacation the carribean isn't the place for you. That being said, if you are looking for a splurge Atlantis is it. Here are some pointers and highlights:

I think the meal plan is worth the price, it costs $100 per adult per day and approximately $30 per child per day. This includes breakfast and dinner. Included in the dinner option is an appetizer, entree and dessert per person. In order to get your money's worth, you need to make all your dinner reservations ahead of time, so that you can get into the best restaurants and take advantage of the meal plan. Our absolute favorite restaurant was the SeaFire Grill it was spectacular, we ended up eating their twice. Our least favorite restaurant by far was the Bahiamian Club. The service was horrific and the food just so so. We hit it off with the waiter, Bradley at the SeaFire, and secured him for our second night, he was so friendly and great with the kids.

I also want to add that I like that this is not an all inclusive resort, I find there are way too many drunk people at the all inclusive resorts and I thing people are much more careful with their alcohol intake when they are paying $10+ dollars a cocktail!

The spa is a must if you can fit it in, some of the best spa treatments I have ever had. They have private bath rooms for couples that you can book, just lovely.

The Reef is a great choice for families because they are spacious suites with full kitchens. We booked a two bedroom ocean view suite. The view was absolutely incredible. We had three full bathrooms and the master bath was so large, we put a blow up bed in it for our 2 year old to sleep on. You have a private pool and beach that none of the other resort guests can utilize, which is nice because you then avoid the cruise ship day trippers invading your space. The only day there are no cruise ship people on property is Thursday as there are no ships that come into port that day. That makes Thursday a great day for the water park. You can pool hop to any other pool except the Cove Adult only pool if you stay at the Reef.

The water park is amazing, yes the lines for the slides can be long, but they are at ANY water park I have ever been too, including Disney's water parks. The key to this water park is that there is a rapid river ride where there is never a line. The kiddie pools and play areas are just incredible here. To reaffirm what one contributor said below the height requirement for all the water slides is 48 inches which is very high for a water park, therefore my 5 1/2 year old couldn't go on any of the slides, but my 9 year old twin boys could. She could do the rapid river and the kiddie slides in the kiddie pools.

We spent two mornings at Dolphin Cay we did the shallow water encounters for both the Sea Lions and the Dolphins. The shallow water encounters allow for kids of all ages so even my 2 1/2 year old could participate. I have done discovery cove in Orlando and this is just as good. I found the animals to be in good condition and the facility to be clean and well kept. These are rescued dolphins from other marine parks not dolphins taken from the wild and animals that were born there. These encounters are expensive as are the pictures if you chose to buy them, but again all these types of places are expensive.

The resort is so well decorated and the groundskeeping is wonderful. We ate breakfast ever day at Mosaic at the Cove hotel next door as they have the closest buffet. The food was incredible, fresh fruit, omeletes or eggs made to order and the staff was friendly.

We found the beach attendants to be excellent, great food and drink service at the pool and the beach. One of the attendants played football with my boys one afternoon and they had a blast.

TIP: get extra towels at the end of the day to take back to the room with you then use those to place on chairs on your way to breakfast. There were always plenty of chairs, but if you have little ones who you need to keep a close eye on you will want the front row chairs at the waters edge.

TIP: Get to the airport 3 hours early the immigration lines are LONG!

TIP: Kids Adventure is wonderful and I spoke with the manager about my soon to be 3 year old (he was two months shy of 3 when we visited last week) he is potty trained and she was willing to take him as long as we took a pager so that if there was an issue we could head back. So they are flexible on the 3 year old requirement for the kids club..

TIP: Keep your eyes open this place is a celebrity mecca. We saw Buddy from Cake Boss and various members of his family, two NHL players and Dennis Rodman when we were there.

Truly a fabulous family vacation with breathtaking views of that aqua water from everywhere you looked!

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to an end unit with a full ocean view.
10  Thank sullymom4

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Before we went to the Reef I gathered feedbacks from friends who've been there and of course here in TripAdvisor. We knew that the restaurants and getting on a meal plan is expensive. The very first day we arrived we have e-mailed Sandra Ferguson Taxi to pick us at the airport. The driver is courteous and has patiently waited for us to do our Grocery Shopping and drop by at the Liquor Store before dropping us at The Reef. It helped us a lot to have Bottled Water, Juices, Milk Bread, Bacon, Eggs and some basic stuff handy in our room. Theres always free coffee,tea,sugar, creamer and small bottled water everyday (dont overdo buying gallons of bottled water). I love the fact that there's a Starbucks at the Reef, you can even grab a light snack here when you feel tired going out of your building and the price is just right.

We were happy not to get the Meal Plan because it was such a waste of time lining at The Breakfast Buffet. We had a pleasure of getting up not too early and not in a hurry. Having our breakfast overlooking both the beach and the Harbour at the side (our room is at the end) feeling the ocean breeze is a pleassure. Then we'll head at the center of fun which is at The Royal Tower which gets really really crowded from The Cruise Ship guests. We still can manage to get some seat, there's 5 of us but 2 seats are enough because we only use the seat to dump our things anyway and we're all for the waterfun...besides The Reef Beach and Poolside is a much better place to hang around if you're just only after the sun and lounging. All of us Adults and Kids had fun at the Water Park. Tip:Bring plenty of Sunscreen. We stayed there for 6 days and the 5 of us finished 3 bottles of SunScreen.
The Reef PoolSide is beautiful and much much calmer from The Royal Tower, you always have to bring your keys so you can get the bracelet. The poolside food is just okay, the price is fair. For 2 burgers fries and drinks under $20 considering your at The Reef is not bad at all. The Water at the Beach is amazingly clear. Bring your own goggles, we had a blast swimming with the tiny fishes. The water is just below the adult waist level but once the fishes saw some tiny drops of food they all go crazy and swim around you. I got good pictures of them! The Beach is private, clean, the sand is fine powdery and white and nice crowd of people.
At night time The Marina is a good place to go. Lots of Restaurants to go to but some of them needs a reservation. At that time we couldn't get into 2 of them so we ended up at Johnny Rocketts. There's Ben & Jerry's which is good for the hot weather. If you plan to buy RumCakes , there's a nice store there that has the price similar to the local stores outside. If you dont feel like going at the center of the town The Marina has Souvenir Shops that has a fair price. At nighttime the place is alive with music and some fun activities for kids.
We also went at The Twin Brothers FishFry, lots of local people but that was the slowest service and the waiting for each course is painfully loongg. My daughter fell asleep at her seat. However, compare to the places I ate, they had the best FishFry and Conch appetizer I had in Bahamas.
The PoopDeck is a must to go to, you will need reservation but the food is superb as well, much expensive than the regular local restaurant, though. The Sunset view is stunning if you get the seat with that view.
Getting around the area is easy. There's taxi everywhere and they are not like other place where if they know you're a tourist they'll rip you off. As long as you know the fare you'll be fine. They all speak fluent English as well.
We took The Stuart Cove for Diving and Snorkelling and had a blast after knowing that we were swimming on top of the baby sharks (had I known it before I wouldn't dare get off the boat). The crew are distracting the baby sharks not to swim up to us and they all let us get in the boat when the sharks realized we were watching them quietly. The added attraction is when one of the crew threw a fish to them they all jumped up the water...that was a sight to behold, I got pictures of them but wasnt able to video them.
The room is nice Studio is just fine for me, my husband and 6 y/o daughter. Bathroom is big. The kitchen utensils and appliances are of good quality. Housekeeping are fast to give your request and did a good job taking care of us. We were at the end unit so we had the view of both the ocean, the harbour and overlooking The famous Atlantis building.
Be at the Airport early, it takes a long time to check-in and the Immigration line is long. And this is the sad part of our vacation because we are leaving this real Paradise Island. We were actually already back to NY getting our luggages and there's still this young girl sobbing and being comforted by her mom, she's in our flight and she still has all the entrance bracelets from The Atlantis......that's how I'm going to miss this place

Room Tip: end Unit with both the Ocean and harbour View
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank narsinny
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I came to Atlantis for the day in September 2011 with 3 of my best friends while on a cruise. I can barely begin to describe my experience. I had more fun here in 8 hours than i have in my whole life. Nothing about Atlantis is wrong or bad. I made so many memories that I'll never forget. Yes, it was expensive but i would pay double the price knowing what i know now.

Some of the water slides were a little to thrilling for my liking so I took picture :) The lazy river was so incredible. Trust me this lazy river was not so lazy, there were actual rapids. It was so fun that we were on it for 4 straight hours.

There is a reason this place is so expensive....because its worth it!! :)

Room Tip: If you are just making a day trip like i was make sure to bring snacks and sunscreen. I left my suns...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MelissaGarner
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Just arrived home from one of the best family vacations ever and felt the need to share my experience. For families with young children - there are 2 magic numbers you need to know: (i) 48 inches (really 49 inches) - the height your child needs to be to get the maximum enjoyment of all the water slides the place has to offer; and (ii) 3 years old, the minimum age your child must be to get enrolled in the Atlantis Kids' Adventures program. If your child can't do the water slides, then you really need them to be at least 3 to have some independent fun at the AKA club. Thankfully, my 6 year old is super tall but most 6 year olds would not qualify to do all the slides and that would really suck a lot of the enjoyment out of it for a kid. You are paying top dollar for what is essentially a water park and if your kid is too short for the rides then you are wasting your money.

Food is pricey so The Reef is a great way to save some money with the in room kitchen. Foodstore2go.com had some good items - milk, cheerios, yogurt, etc.

Overall, just a great place for a fun week. You could enjoy a different pool every day. My son call it a "City of Pools."

5  Thank Mishkir209
Reviewed 16 April 2012

HINTS
- Stock your kitchen with breakfast, snacks, and whatever you drink (including water).
- Order groceries from foodstore2go before your come. It's very difficult to escape the resort and there are no reasonably priced groceries on the island. Foodstore2go is as expensive as the other options, but it is convenient.
- Avoid eating dinner on property where you can. The food is below average and outrageously expensive. We were especially disappointed with Chop Stix ($150 for four people), which has adequate food but is located in a dark completely windowless room (aren't we in the Bahamas?). Virgil's has a better view, but it is family style so unless everyone absolutely loves eating a meal composed exclusively of ribs, it doesn't make sense for a family of 4. Similar deal with Carmines which is also family style ($150 for four).
- Go offsite for dinner. We LOVED Twin Brothers located at the mini fish fry on the Nassau side of the bridge to the island. You can get there by walking across the bridge. About 15 mins.
- The Poop Deck also has good food off site. Walk 15 mins instead of paying $20 each way for a taxi.
- Great lunch places are Murray's Deli, the Pizza place, and Johnny Rockets.
- Avoid getting lunch at the fast food places near the pools. The food is school cafeteria grade and outrageously priced.
- Bring waterproof sandals. You'll be doing a lot of walking and you'll be in an out of the water.
- If you get comped for breakfast (thank you Mark at Tripguy!), pick up pastries from Seaglass and bring them up to your room. Be sure to check your allowance and use the whole thing. Going to the buffet with the whole family easily climbs quickly to about $75 with children, even after getting partially comped.

LIKES
- This place has all the amenities of a big city hotel including Starbucks in the lobby. Views are great from higher floors.
- The water park was a lot of fun for everyone in the family, especially the lazy river.
- The aquarium was stunning.
- Hard to get bored at this place between shopping, water park, activities, beach, and casino. The place is enormous.
- Mark at Tripguy did an amazing job with reservations. He helped us understand our choices and he got us a complementary upgrade to a beautiful room plus resort credits and continental breakfast.

DISLIKES
- The food was on the downside of average and the prices were egregious. Impossible to have dinner for a family of four for under $125.
- The Las Vegas analogy is apt. The place provides constant stimulation and if you are looking for peace and quiet, you can seek it out, but it is not what the place is designed for.
- Once was enough for our family and we would have been happy with 3-4 days. Five days was too many.
- We went during spring break (first week of April) and the crowds were INSANE. The problem was that as many as 6 cruise ships at a time would pull into the harbor, and many passengers would spend the day at the resort. This made the lines for water slides untenable and it was also hard to get beach chairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
6  Thank PeterfromDC
0.1 km away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
1 km away
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
7.3 km away
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
1.4 km away
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK