“great week!”
Review of West Wind Club II

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nassau
West Wind Club II
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
orlando
“great week!”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This place was really great. In a great location and very clean. We were only 3 units from thebeach. The weather could have been better, but other than that we had a fantastic time. I will saythat things in Nassau like groceries and beer wereway more than I expected,but it didn't ruin my vacation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank vtoria98
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We stayed here for a week Spring of 2011 and got 2 ocean-view apartments. My parents, my sister and her husband and 6-year-old all stayed in one; we stayed in another with our 2-year-old.

We arrived early and the cleaning crew had not yet gotten to our place, so we hung by the cafe/bar and pool. We were able to dig out suits and towels and use the spacious bathrooms to change and go for a dip. We did have to ask regularly if the space was ready, and no one came out to tell us when it was, but in fairness we arrived well before check-in time.

The apartments are plenty spacious for a small family, with a well-equipped kitchen and a nice TV. The sliding bedroom doors didn't block out much noise, so we had to tip-toe around once our son was asleep. We had 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, which was nice. The bathrooms were in decent shape for this type of vacation property- not great, but I've seen worse. There was a nice outdoor patio and the view was great.

I recommend renting a water cooler or at least getting the big multi-gallon containers of water from the front desk. The tap water there is potable, I believe, but not great or recommended. The other unit's cooler broke mid-week and leaked all over, but the staff quickly came and fixed it.

There were plenty of towels and you could exchange them in the laundry on several designated days each week. I was glad we brought out own beach towels, though. You could buy tokens and soap for the laundry and do laundry at any timel; the machines worked well.

On our side of WW II, the property adjoins a public beach, so on 1 or 2 nights there were some racous parties going on. There is a serious wall between the properties and security regularly makes the rounds, which was reassuring yet seemed to indicate there may be some petty crime from time to time. We didn't experience any problems however.

The grill/bar has modest hours and it's not really a place to come for spring break and party it up. Try the big international Sheraton next door for that. The food at WW II was standard grill food and breakfast especially was modest offerings, but nothing was bad. We tended to eat breakfast in the unit, anyway.
Bar offerings were also modest, but the beers were good and cold.
The grill staff were moderately friendly; I believe in the Bahamas in general, service is pretty so-so, and occassionally rude. Everyone was accomodating with our son though, which was nice. (The Sheraton next door has a few poolside grills itself, and a swim-up bar, and everything stays open later. The restaurants inside are so-so and expensive, though.)

The beach itself was small but suitable for building a few sand castles and starting off on a snorkel. Not great snorkeling or reef life there, though. There are assorted beach toys you can sign out from the office- we didn't realize the policy though so by the time we wanted a blow-up raft and a shovel and bucket, other families with kids had already taken everything!
The pools were nice and clean but only the bigger pool was warmed. Children require close supervision due to pool depth. A better bet for kids was the assortment of pools next door at the Sheraton- you could easily wander in and use their chairs, pools, and bathrooms with no questions asked.

WW II is a little far from downtown Nassau, but that was one of its draws, for us. You can see dozens of cruise ships coming in and out of Nassau all day long. We did rent a vehicle so that made grocery shopping and restaurant hopping easier. I strongly recommend to check out what more the island has to offer.

Overall a great place to stay if you're there for a family trip.

Room Tip: Call them up and negotiate a lower price on an ocean-view unit. Sometimes you can wait until you...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank idratherbeinparis
King George, Virginia
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I am an owner and I fell in love with place the first time I set foot on the property. My kids have grown up there and now they are bringing their kids to WW2. The staff is the best, as we have made life long friends. Very safe, very clean, and just a great place to stay. I have been weeks that are quiet, but my home weeks are wild, One big party. Every night there is a waiting list to use the grill, from 4:00 till dark. So there is always a party at the grill, every night. A great family resort, no matter how old your kids are, they will have fun.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank johnd0528
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Better late than never....travelled here with hubby & 2 17 year old boys.
--staff...AMAZING...welcoming, friendly, some just plain crazy fun !
--had an upper unit (17)...great view of ocean (from anywhere on property really); yes units are older but was immaculately clean...2 beds, 2 baths, living, dining/kitchen...suited our needs.
--location, location, location...SAFELY walk 15 minutes to the supermarket (being female, I walked there alone more than once & was very comfortable in doing so)...2 minutes to vendors tents, markets, shops....
--construction had started (2 neighbouring hotels being refurbished & made into 1 massive complex which will cross the street, comparable to the Atlantis)..much road construction due to this so uncertain how it is coming along now & how noisy it would be...buy hey...who's there to sleep...construction doesn't go on all night.
--yes, the regular owners/renters are there NO they are NOT stuck up...remember....folks are only as nice to you as u are to them....are you approachable? then no worries. We struck conversation with a few couples one night and that was it....incredible people, very friendly and maaannnn do they like to have fun ! Would love to come back and see them again !
--bbq's accessible to all on property, need your own coals...we didn't use; when not out for dinner, we simply ate at the bar/grill 10 steps from our room....ladies, great job !
--1 night of entertainment per week including bbq dinner, dancing, much fun if you jump in !
--THE BEACH....wow...been many places, my local friends were not boasting about home...this is home to some of the clearest waters anywhere....the color changed every minute depending on the clouds, the sun, the wind...very clean, beautiful sandy beach...we even snorkled near the rocks which are a bit further out but not too deep. Every a.m. we walked the beach all the way to the 2nd hotel passed the Westwind...you can swim anywhere...and these hotels offer all kinds of motorized (or non) sports (for a fee of course)...check the guy hanging around your beach for fishing tours...he was about to give up and leave so I offered him 15$ to take us for a boat ride around the island in front of the condo...there is a shipwreck there also; it is the island that belongs to Sandals resorts...very posh and worth the ride around.
--The Powerboat Adventure tour is a MUST wow...what fun and beauty out on the Exumas Keys....absolutely breathtaking ! (but that's another review)..
Cannot say enough about the Westwind II...Donita.....sorry to tell you, you'll be seeing our ugly faces again before long...WE LOVED IT !
I could write a book on this place and its surroundings but not enough room...have questions? Feel free to send them my way !

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Michele C
Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Just returned hom from another great stay at Westwind II. This is a timeshare property, with some renters. I am an owner. The new renovations are very nice, and it is good to see some of the same faces year after year. The resort has a small intimate feeling, but you can use the facilities, beaches, pools, waterslide, etc at the Sheraton next door, and many of the families with children took advantae of that during the week.. In addition to the full kitchen, there are grills for BBQ, 2 pools and a nice snorkeling area just off the resort. The staff is very helpful in meeting any needs and in recommending and making arrangements for activities and day trips. The snack bar has very good food at prices that are much lower than what you will find at most places in Nassau. You can get a nice breakfast for about $6.50, on Tuesday and Thursday Grouper, slaw, peas and rice for about $12 etc. Try that any where else on the island.

The atmosphere here is laid back and pleasant, not a big party scene but you can walk down the street for that.

Some of my favorite things in Nassau:

Restaurants: Poop Deck for local seafood and good atmosphere, the one downtown is better than the one on the west end of the island. Fish Fry for local dishes like crack conch, conch salad, lobster, etc. (Oh Andros is my favorite place there). Compass Point for excellent food and gorgeous sunset views from the outdoor dining deck. Luciano's of Chicago, a true 5-star place. This time I decided to try some of the local native dishes I had heard about and asked some staff members where to go. I had "stew fish" at a place called Charlie's Nassau Stadium (ask because you won't find it on your own), Sheep tongue at the Souse House (again ask), and when I mentioned to Lovely at the snack bar that I wanted to know where I could try "souse" she gave me a bowl of pig feet souse from a pot that she was making for herself. It was delicious. All of these are sort of like soups and stews and are traditional breakfast items for Bahamians. Other good places for these dishes, the Reef, Nesbitt's, Bahamian Kitchen, and street vendors (everywhere, just like conch salad vendors).

The best peas and rice on the island ....Tuesday and Thursday at the Westwind snack bar. Always wondered why so many locals came by there and bought lunch on those days.

ONE THING YOU MUST TRY. Just down the road across from the Wyndham is the DAK Shack, next to the straw market. Best daquiris and smoothies ever, all made from whole fresh fruit, no mixes. My first was a Miami Vice, half pina colata and half strawberry daquiri. Good shot of rum. Made with fresh cut strawberries freshly shaved cocount and fresh cut pineapple. The server said "sip it down man" so I drank about half, he added another shot of rum and refilled the cup. $6. Went back everyday.

Favorite day trips: Powerboat Adventures (read the reviews on Trip Advisor). Great all-inclusive day. and Stuart Coves dive, snorkle, bubble sub, etc. adventures. Booze cruise not bad either.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
13 Thank RUtraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
8.1 km away
0.9 km away
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
1.0 km away
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas

Been to West Wind Club II? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK