All reviews bed female dorm sandy port liquor store close to the airport private beach hostel pigs supermarket toilet luxury villa wifi island pools bahamas
Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

I couldn’t have been happier with my stay at BahaSea, that’s not to say there weren’t any ‘hiccups’ along the way. First off let me start by saying I am so glad I didn’t stay in any of the fancy, overpriced, resorts. This place is gorgeous and great for traveling on a budget.

Location- Situated next to Sandyport beach and DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM Club One Fitness Centre (I cannot stress enough how important this is to tell your taxi driver!!). There is a private little beach that disappears with the tide and, like mentioned above, directly next to sandyport beach which is also perfect for swimming, snorkelling, sunbathing and the most beautiful sunrises I have ever witnessed. Best part is there was rarely anyone else there, WINNING! 5 min walk to the plaza. Super Value Food Store for your grocery needs, Wendy’s (where I would get my morning coffee fix), liquor store for your alcohol and smoke needs, were important to us. We later found Marco’s Pizza in the plaza just a bit further (another 2 mins tops) which was delicious, AFFORDABLE and deliver. Wish I found them earlier on in the stay. Downtown is about a twenty min bus ride @ $1.25/ea way very friendly and safe ride. Downside is they stop running at 5pm, but we weren’t there for the nightlife anyway.

The Hostel- beautiful views. Like seriously, breathtaking! Adorable bunch of villas all open for the backpackers. Sandy and Akeem were very gracious and and did their best to accommodate everyone’s needs. Some of the staff were mean but I would be miserable too if I had to clean up after so many people. There were only a few of us who took pride in cleaning up after ourselves, others just left their dishes and food out for them to deal with. We stayed in the communal room for the first couple nights and really enjoyed the vibe. We had already booked a private room as well, thank goodness because it did get a little rowdy when a more party type of people showed up but you never know what you’re going to get. We also met a lot of really cool people it was a great experience. I felt safe, so long as the other guests kept the door locked. It rained, a lot, and I did wake up with a wet bed from a leak in the ceiling. But Akeem brought me in a new bed and had a worker patch the leak and there were no more wet sleeps haha. We ran out of hot water ALL the time! But it was humid enough to not care. The toilet was backing up in the one bathroom and there was no toilet paper for a whole day but it eventually showed up. Watch your liquor, a lady drank ours from the freezer without us even noticing until she was wasted and it was gone lol.

I highly recommend you check this place out because EVERYTHING on this island is ridiculously expensive so why not save with this beautiful hidden gem. But with that being said this place is NOT for those who nitpick and complain about every little unnecessary thing (like my husband!) Thankfully I went with my best friend and we had a wonderful time staying here!!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Sherri-Lynn R
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

We booked through Airbnb not knowing what to expect. When we arrived, we discovered that it was a hostel.
The staff was friendly and showed us around. They were very attentive during all our stay.
The view is very beautiful and the location was perfect for us. Not far from downtown but not right in the center. It's very close to the airport (they include drop off for 10$).
The area is calm, near Sandy Port (and Sandy beach). The grocery shop is 5-10 minutes walking. Very convenient area.
Bahasea have a private beach right there, which is very nice.
The pictures are accurate.
The busses 10 and 12 (stopping just right in front of the hostel) will take you to downtown (beware of the time schedule, most busses stop at 6pm!). Otherwise taxis are available 24h in the island.
The common areas (kitchen, pools, terraces, patio...) are super nice. Very stylish (with some need of renovation but still nice looking) and spacious.
We loved the shared spaces, except for the fact that somebody stole or threw away our food from the fridge, perfectly labeled with our names by the way. It wasn't anything fancy but still not acceptable behaviour.
The receptionist, Alice, gave us 2 coconuts (empty inside but still a nice gesture) and an apology. They were very kind to us.
The wifi didn't work properly outside of our room (terrace, pools...) but we had data, so no problem.
Our room was okay, clean and with space enough. The bed was a bit uncomfortable, my boyfriend and me were rolling to the middle (torwards each other) all the time. Still good enough.
The worst part was that our room was right next to the road (SUPER NOISY) and cars passing, beeping, people talking in the small parking, etc woke us up all the time. Ask for a room with ocean view!
The other wall was connected to the laundry room (people doing laundry 24/7) so the noise was pretty annoying as well. Check the different rooms that they have :)
The bathroom needs the toilet upgraded but everything was functional.
I would say that everything was good for the price paid. I would go back without a doubt.
About the activities:
The kayaks were unfortunately broken (or at least one they said). Otherwise I guess you can rent them.
They own 2 pigs (which they keep privately).To swim with the pigs is 30$ per person. Still cheaper that the Exumas (+200$).
Yoga is at 6 am.
We got food poisoning in Bahamas but we really liked our stay and enjoyed ourselves in the island.
I totally recommend this place, the backpackers will be very happy with this choice.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2018

Well where do I start, you can’t really call this a hostel as it’s more the more then that.. the views are unbelievable breathtaking you have your own private beach, where you can hire snorkel equipment for 5 dollars and you can rent kayak for dollars ( this is a must ), you can also swim with pigs for 30 dollars ( cutest piggies and much cheaper then exuma) I stayed In a 10 bed female dorm but it was never more then 6 of us. The rooms are clean with plenty of room and get clean towels if needed. The beach was amazing you even get your own private beach and there’s also 2 swimming pools, as a solo traveller I met so many amazing people who I will keep in contact with. They also do private rooms so couples, friends and even family I would recommend you coming here, for what you get the price is amazing and definitely cheapest on the island. The staff are amazing and do anything they can to help you. The owner and her daughter are also amazing and again will do anything to help they even do taxi ride to the airport for $10 up to 3 sharing. Akeem the manager is a legend what a guy and so lovely and helpful. It also provides free WiFi and water dispensers which is very handy, and provide all cutlery. It’s $1.25 for a bus to down town from 6-30-7pm very easy just wave the bus driver down outside and they will pick you up and you can get a ferry to paradise island for omly $4 , there is also a supermarket just a 5mjn walk with.a liquor store and a Wendy’s, and there is a restaurant next door and opposite behind the fitness centre oh and a cute cafe ( the best coffee) . you need to visit this is a must and the best “ hostel “ I’ve ever stayed in and I can’t wait to go back :) :)

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank bethandavies012018
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

It was unfortunate that I was not able to be on the cruise ship with my family due to idiotic reasons on my end. So what do I do? I meet them at the Bahamas and spent 3 nights at the most epic hostel in possibly the world. I am so grateful and happy that I found Bahasea on such last minute. It is French family owned that sits right on the beach at sandy port which 20 mins away from the tourist trap of Downtown. I have met the nicest people here. Audrey(daughter of owner) offered to go Kayaking with me as I expressed to her that it was my first time and didn’t really know what I was doing. The people who stay with you are just as equally as down to earth and the nicest people you will ever meet. I am already planning my next stay here and hopefully with my fiancé this time.

Tips:
You can pay your booking through PayPal or cash. No cards.

Take the bus from the airport which is about 20 mins . It’s only $1.50 and leaves you right in front of the hostel.

Take the bus downtown and it’s $1.50 with the same bus. B10 or B12

Take a taxi from downtown to Atlantis or The beach next to the Atlantis (one of the photos I’m posting) $4

News cafe is a 5 mins walk in the strip mall in front for a quick fix for food.

MINGLE! They encourage you to socialize and you should. You will not regret coming here.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank ADRIAN M
Reviewed 21 July 2018

I booked this beautiful little hostel through Booking.com & paid for my stay then in full, but I had to cancel, I canceled before the time frame,I canceled on 07/12/18 5 days before losing my money.It's now 07/21/18 & still no return to my credit card,so I have called & called & they hang up on me & now have shut their "CELL PHONE" off, thats right a cell phone that is the number listed & Ive used that number before when I booked. I've turned them over to my credit card company & I'm so glad I used that card because they do & will get this issue taken care of. Just beware of booking here if you need to change your plans. I have my email also as proof on "free cancel"

Room tip: "the appeal is wonderful but just be careful"
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Marsha C
BahaSea B, Manager at BahaSea Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear Marsha,

Thank you so much for booking with us, and thank you for your review. We're very sorry you had to cancel your reservation. As you can see we have two policies, a flexible policy and a non-refundable policy. Since you chose the flexible policy and cancelled within 30 days of your stay we have reimbursed your reservation in a timely manner. PayPal Transaction ID: 5KA87556MP763963A

Please note that we use a cell phone due to the flexibility it provides us, however we are always looking for ways to improve and thanks to your review will be adding a second, landline number for our guests to have another way to reach us in-case the BTC network goes down.

We appreciate your feedback and hope you'll stay with us next time.

Kind regards,