OK.....this is the real deal with Hillcrest. For those people (myself included) who are normally used to staying at 5 Star Hotels this place is not for you. And that is OK. I came to St John with a good friend last year and stayed with Phyllis for 5 days. Our goal was not to stay at a resort with all the trimmings that you'd expect. We wanted a clean place with a good bed, shower and basic kitchen facilities. We weren't looking for Bali Hai. And to be honest for the price we paid we didn't expect it. What we got is exactly what was promised........central location, good sturdy 5 minute walk from downtown Cruz Bay, clean room, bathroom and kitchen. OK....the view is good from the common areas. And it's nice to sit out and have a glass of wine at the end of the day. But it's not the $700 a night view from your private balcony at Caneel Bay. And I think most people realize that when they come.....or at least they should.
We had a great time on St. John. We were out and about everyday from early morning until dark. We'd come back, change and go out to dinner somewhere and come back and go to bed.
St. John is just about as perfect as you can get, especially being so easy to get to from the US. No accomodation on the island is perfect. People can always find something to complain about.
And yes....not everything was perfect at Hillcrest but when we arrived we were met by Phyllis. The room was clean, the shower worked, the refrigerator was stocked and we only had a 5 minute walk to town. Go stay at Caneel Bay if you want something "refined". It really is a beautiful property. Stay at the Westin is you like chain hotels. It won't disappoint. Stay at Estate Lindholm if you want a pool with a real "boutique hotel" experience. It is what it says it is.
For us....the Hillcrest worked great. The price was right. The room was clean and comfortable. Everything worked just fine and we were able to get anywhere we needed to go without having to rent a car. You get the point.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hillcrest Guest House is a romantic accommodation with million dollar ocean and garden views. $185 to 235/day. 2 day minimum ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda and HostelWorld so you can book your Hillcrest Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hillcrest Guest House Hotel Cruz Bay
- Hillcrest Guest House St. John/Cruz Bay