My wife and I visited Calicaribe for our anniversary in May 2018 and had a wonderful stay at Calicaribe. We've visited St. John several time and this was one of our favorite houses. The good:
- Location - proximity to Cruz Bay (literally 2 minutes) and north shore beaches (~5 minutes to Hawksnest) was really nice. Makes going to town so easy and makes for a quick easy drive to the beaches. Also, if you're a runner, there is a relatively (it's not flat, but again, relatively) flat road (Contant Point road) with little traffic the runs around the hill that Calicaribe is on, with great views most of the way to boot. Flat portion is only about a half mile, but that's not bad for St. John...just run back and forth a few times :)
- Views - mesmerizing! We had dinner on the deck 5 out of the 7 nights we were there and agreed it was even better than going into town due to the fantastic view / sunsets (and we enjoyed to really great dinners at Long Board and Rhumblines). There are fans on porch above dining table which deterred the bugs at sunset making for every comfortable sunset dinners. Views during the day over Pillsbury Sounds to St. Thomas were fantastic as well, fun to watch the people and car barges come in and out. House is setup so there are great views everywhere..bedroom, living room, kitchen, pool deck.
- Well appointed house - kitchen had everything we needed, house was clean, furniture was all in good condition. King bed in master was a little soft for my liking, but my wife loved it
- Great pool / pool deck - pool was great, wonderful views, plenty big, nice lounge chairs and chairs to relax on
- Easy to work with - Charles, the owner was really easy to work with, as was Shannon the on island property manager
The bad - only one note below, and it was a big deal, this house was wonderful, I would highly recommend!
- Had a bit of an ant problem near the sink in the kitchen, but wasn't a big deal and I expect that kind of thing in the islands. I'd rather have to kill a couple insects throughout the week than the house be overly sprayed with chemicals
We have visited St. John many times and stayed at various locations. Without doubt we found Calicaribe the most delightful. Close to town, yet secluded, with stunning views, a super terrace and pool, and well separated bedrooms, it is the ideal base to explore our favorite island. The house is clean, beautiful and totally liveable. The owners and local representatives are nice and responsive. We will be back.
We stayed in this lovely villa late November with another couple and even though the villa has 3 bedrooms, we only utilized the two on the main floor. Calicaribe is located only minutes from the ferry in Cruz Bay yet is set in a very private area with amazing views. All the indoor living spaces were great including great beds and an amazing master bathroom shower. The kitchen has everything you need to cook in along with an outdoor grill. The best part of the villa is the outdoor spaces with a covered porch, swimming pool and beautiful views. My husband is a paraplegic and the villa worked great for him. The main living areas and 2 bedrooms and baths are on one floor with no steps.
We stayed in this villa for 2 weeks and loved it. Have been to St. John for many years and this was the closest to town we have ever stayed.I was nervous at first when I saw how close it was but ended up enjoying the convenience of that! The owner, greeter, and staff were all very helpful and accommodating. The beds were great, the amenities, showers, and living areas were top notch. But the best feature is the outside living areas and pool with stellar views of the sound, boats and ferries and best of all sunsets every night! We enjoyed the iguana and hummingbird daily visits. There is a sound system, comfortable loungers, shade and sun options and the pool was perfect! Sometimes the pools can be cold but not this one. The owners provided beach chairs, towels, coolers, etc. Even the shampoo! Can't wait to return and will definitely stay here again.
|How easy was it to book the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||People with disabilities|
|Older travelers||Families with young children|
I can't begin to say how happy I am with this vacation rental. In fact, it has me longing for the days that we were there. We planned this trip with some college friends of ours. Our house manager met us at the Ferry station and guided us to the car rental place...Cool Blow...which you want to use because you can park your car in their lot when you are downtown...Which by the way is less than five minutes away from the rental driving.
The house is set up in such a manner that everyone has their own privacy. Yet has a common area to hang out. The pool and patios are so beautiful and the view FANTASTIC. We went out during the days and then spent our evenings at home cooking a partying. We love to run the streets and play at bars, however, there was no need to be away from this gem. In fact, writing about it has me wanting to book another trip there. We went during October and I was worried about hurricane season a bit. We booked at the tail end. It did rain one day while we were there but not too much or for too long! I truly cannot say enough about this rental. It is amazing and I am very picky!
The owners are very communicative and great to work with. They have everything you need there except for your food and beverages...and they even leave you a little welcome basket.