Grande Bay Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
St. John Inn(Cruz Bay)
View Hotel
Caneel Bay Resort(Caneel Bay)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Elysian Beach Resort(East End)
View Hotel
All reviewsthrough vrboparking garagein towntime sharewasher dryerst johnbeach chairsperfect locationpool and hot tubfull kitchenwatch the ferriesbedroom condoferry dockrental vehicleexercise roomthree bedroomwithin walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Just finished a weeks stay at the Grande Bay in a three bedroom condo and it was great from start to finish. This is not a full service resort, but is very new, close to everything and well kept condo community. The staff was very helpful before we arrived and while we were there to make sure we had what we needed. The condo was brand new and fully equipped. The biggest bonus was being able to walk to the Cruz bay shops and restaurants (cabs are $6-$10 per person). Would stay there again over everywhere else in Cruz bay.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank pittraveler08
GMatGBR, General Manager at Grande Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear Pittraveler08,
On behalf of everyone here at Grande Bay Resort & Residence Club thank you for the complimentary review! We are delighted you had a good time here in "Love City" and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards,
Paul

Reviewed 4 March 2012

We just returned from our 5th visit to St. John. It is our favorite spot. We rented villas in prior years so this was our first stay at the Grande Bay Resort. We have already booked for next year. The location is great. We walked to dinner every night and could walk across the street to the beach bars to partake of happy hour in the afternoon. We had our adult children and grandchild with us, so the location worked out really well for everyone.We rented a 2 bedroom until which is actually a one bedroom unit connected to a studio. It was beautiful. There were sofabeds in both units, although not all units have them. The condo was quite well equipped and the staff were all very nice and helpful. The balcony was a bit narrow. They are not all the same size, so it is important to ask when booking. Despite being next to Wharfside Village, Grande Bay Resort is very quiet. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask about the balcony size when you book.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NHSandman
GMatGBR, General Manager at Grande Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

It is allways good to read constructive feedback from a seasoned "St. John" traveler and trust me we will take it to heart. I already have plans to retrofit the balcony seating during our off season so that next season the "balcony" experience is more enjoyable. Thank you for the positive review and I look forward to welcoming you back for your 6th, and hopefully many more, visits to Grande Bay Resort & Residence Club.
Paul

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Great location right on the edge of town, fantastic view of the action in Cruz bay! We stayed here in February with our two girls (ages 4 & 7) for a week and loved it. The condo was nice and new and clean and very well equipped. We enjoyed breakfast and cocktail hour on the expansive balcony every day and enjoyed watching the boats , pelicans and people. The owner provided beach chairs, coolers and beach towels for guests to use. Joe and Paul were very helpful - Joe even gave us ice for our cooler on the way to the beach. Our girls enjoyed the pool a couple of evenings. I would recommend Grande Bay for anyone coming to St. John. The proximity to the towns nightlife and conveniences cannot be overstated. A very short walk to bars, restaurants and the mini mart made staying at the grande bay stress free. Although we did take the taxi bus to the beaches I would recommend renting a jeep and to book early for peak season as we were unable to rent one due to availability. There is even parking spaces below the buildings for your rental car. The ferry runs every hour and is a 5 minute walk to the grande bay which was nice too. I'd stay at the grande bay again for sure because of its location, cleanliness and amenities .

Room Tip: Request an upper level condo so the telephone wires aren't in your beautiful view of Cruz bay. Although there is a beach on cruz bay it is not a swimming / hanging out beach due to all the boats and coming and going of their owners / operators. Nice beach for the short walk to town though.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank suiteleaf
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We booked a 2 bedroom condo through the owner via VRBO. Our dealings with the owner and the property manager were excellent. We paid $3300 for a week during peak season, which was the most reasonable rate I could find for any of the 2-bedroom Grande Bay condos.

I want to limit my review here to the property itself. The kitchens are outfitted with stainless steel appliances and granite; however, you can tell that some of the work was done cheaply. The bathrooms were small and included faux-tile, which I did not expect for a property that is supposed to be luxurious. Also, neither of our bathrooms had tubs (which I imagine would be quite an incovenience if traveling with small childres; other units may differ) or lighting in the small shower, which I thought was odd. We also thought the pool was small, and it gets very little directly sun, so it's not as useful as we'd hoped. We spent most of our time at the beach, but wanted to enjoy the pool at the end of the day. That didn't really work out for us.

With all of that said, though, based on extensive research when choosing where we'd stay, I still think Grande Bay was our best bet. It is far less expensive than other high end options like Gallows Point or Caneel. Yet, it is extemely convenient to the night-life of Cruz Bay, which was important to us. We did rent a car to explore the island and travel out to the beaches. We probably could have gotten along with just using a taxi, although I never priced the cost of a trip out to the beaches. I give this property a 4/5 based primarily on location and based on comparison of it to other accomodations in Cruz Bay.

However, it is not as nice as the accomodations we've had in Mexico or Maui for similar costs, which is probably why I was a bit disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Brungart
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed in a one-bedroom penthouse condo at Grande Bay in early Feb 2012. We rented it directly from the owner. All paperwork and stay went perfectly. Very close to town so you can walk in a minute or two to shopping, restaurants, groceries, bars/entertainment, and a scuba shop just below! We were provided their garaged parking spot that had an elevator right to our front door. We brought a rental SUV over from St. Thomas at the airport. Budget will let you do that. We wanted the freedom to explore the island on our own and didn't want to hassle with taxis/ luggage transfers, etc. Grande Bay has a 24 hour on duty receptionist to answer questions, help with any issues, and even fill your cooler for the day on the beach. This came in very handy and is a service that should not go untold as we used it every day. The Grande Bay is a pretty new development and our condo was like new and furnished nicely with a full kitchen, decks overlooking Cruz Bay. Perfect.
After having explored the whole island, I can say that we really liked our choice of Cruz Bay and Grande Bay resort. I definitely would return here for our next trip to St. John.

Room Tip: The penthouses have high ceilings and great views, but I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong in any unit. There are studios to three bedroom condos. I would bargain a little for a better price as we and others discussed how we all got a better price than advertised.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple