My wife, one year old daughter and I just returned from the Westin St. John and we recommend this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and the property itself was well maintained. As other people point out, the Westin’s beach is okay but one must get out and see the other beaches on the island to really experience St. John.
We stayed in building 23 (must have been neighbors with the person who wrote the prior entry) on the first floor. The building was close to the beach and had an okay view. When we return to this hotel, we will either book a beachfront room or if that isn’t available, we’ll take a pool view room. However, despite what must be great views, we will avoid the upper hillside rooms as there is a steep hill between these rooms and the beach / pool area. They do have regular shuttle service but I’m not a fan of waiting.
As for getting around, the concierge arranged a car for us one day and we used taxis the rest of the time. Trip to town was $3 pp and to Trunk Bay $8pp. The Westin provided us with a child’s car seat for our rental car but we just had to hold on to her anytime we took a taxi. At first, this made us a bit nervous as the taxis are all open air vehicles you share with other people headed in your direction, but after a trip or two, we realized it was safe. The island is small and average driving speeds are less than 15 MPH.
Since we arrived on St. Thomas at 10pm, we were not able to use the Westin Water shuttle service. Rather, we stayed at a nearby hotel that night and then took the public ferry to St. John the following day. Public ferries run every hour from Red Hook and every 2 hrs or so from town. The fare was $6pp one way plus a few extra bucks for our luggage. However, the taxi fare from the airport to Red Hook was $25 so all things considered, if it fits your schedule, I would recommend the Westin Ferry. That said, another thing to consider is your return flight time…The Westin Ferry leaves St. John at 7am or 11am. Since our flight left St. Thomas at 11:30 our option with the Westin would have made us get up a bit early. The public ferry provided a better option – 9am boat to Red Hook or a 9:15 boat to town. We took the 9:15 and were at the airport with an hour to spare.
As for places to eat – Asolare and Panni Beach were our favorites. Food at the Westin was good as well but there are much better places to eat – Kids are welcome at most places but we did hire a nanny (actually one of the front desk staff) to watch our daughter a few nights. - $15/hr, min 3 hours.
In the end, we had a great time and will return at some point.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 1,200 feet of private beach, The Westin St. John Resort makes for the perfect island retreat. Stay in spacious rooms with ocean views from private balconies or patios. Guests can enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi available in all rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your The Westin St. John Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin St. John Resort & Villas Hotel Cruz Bay
- Westin St. John Resort And Villas
- Westin Cruz Bay
- Cruz Bay Westin
- St John Westin
- The Westin St. John Resort Cruz Bay