“Mangrove snorkeling”
Review of Hurricane Hole

Ranked #37 of 68 things to do in St. John
More attraction details
Owner description: A storm-protected bay in the arms of mangrove trees with a lively and colorful nursery of fish.
Reviewed 25 June 2016

We were somewhat disappointed in this snorkel spot after reading the reviews. In order to see anything you had to get right up next to the roots of the mangroves in barely two feet of water with long sea grass below. There were not many fish to see when we were there and it was not really worth the effort.

1  Thank SoonerGirl93

Reviewed 26 March 2016

I got here by a chartered boat and really enjoyed it. The mangroves make for great snorkeling. If you get a boat try to get to some of the smaller nearby bays that are harder to get to by land.

Reviewed 25 January 2016 via mobile

This site is a must if you're looking for good snorkeling and you have enough time to do it. The corals growing with the mangroves is absolutely beautiful! So many colors of corals and sponges and sea fans and fish! I snorkeled many locations and this is my favorite so far. If you have the time and transportation definitely add this to your list.

1  Thank Kelsey D
Reviewed 31 July 2015 via mobile

Arawak tour with guide Scott.
BEST thing we did in St. John was snorkeling and kayaking in this bay. Snorkeling in the mangroves was a once in a lifetime experience! I saw things I never imagined I could see in person and close up! GORGEOUS!
My 10 and 12 year old girls snorkeled and paddled for 6 hours with not one complaint..THAT is how mesmerizing this place is.
Go here on a tour with Arawak Expeditions...it will change your life.

3  Thank EllicasMom
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 June 2015

On our second trip to St. John (February 2015), a half-day trip to Hurricane Hole was a real highlight. My wife and I rented a 2-person kayak at Crabby's and threw a light lunch and some drinks onto the boat. As long as you pick a not-too-windy day, the paddle from Coral Bay is very nice. We enjoyed the magnificent views of the island from the water and even saw a few sea turtles en route.

Once we made it to Hurricane Hole, we were instantly enchanted. We were visiting in relatively busy season, and yet, we had this part of the island all to ourselves. Paddling around the flat water bays was lovely. After a light lunch on a small sand beach, we tied up to a buoy and jumped in to snorkel the mangroves. Thought we've snorkeled extensively on the island, I'd never done mangrove snorkeling. Looking at other reviews, it's almost cliche to say as much, but it really iss other-worldly. The effort that it takes to get there has kept the coral healthy and vibrant. I saw fewer turtles than elsewhere on the island but a far more impressive array of colorful fish. Without question, I'll be back to Hurricane Hole on our next visit to St. John.

4  Thank NDMnc