“Best Way is by Boat”
Review of Hurricane Hole

Ranked #57 of 97 things to do in St. John
More attraction details
Owner description: A storm-protected bay in the arms of mangrove trees with a lively and colorful nursery of fish.
Reviewed 26 March 2016

I got here by a chartered boat and really enjoyed it. The mangroves make for great snorkeling. If you get a boat try to get to some of the smaller nearby bays that are harder to get to by land.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"john"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 25 January 2016 via mobile

This site is a must if you're looking for good snorkeling and you have enough time to do it. The corals growing with the mangroves is absolutely beautiful! So many colors of corals and sponges and sea fans and fish! I snorkeled many locations and this is my favorite so far. If you have the time and transportation definitely add this to your list.

1  Thank Kelsey D
Reviewed 31 July 2015 via mobile

Arawak tour with guide Scott.
BEST thing we did in St. John was snorkeling and kayaking in this bay. Snorkeling in the mangroves was a once in a lifetime experience! I saw things I never imagined I could see in person and close up! GORGEOUS!
My 10 and 12 year old girls snorkeled and paddled for 6 hours with not one complaint..THAT is how mesmerizing this place is.
Go here on a tour with Arawak Expeditions...it will change your life.

3  Thank EllicasMom
Reviewed 21 June 2015

On our second trip to St. John (February 2015), a half-day trip to Hurricane Hole was a real highlight. My wife and I rented a 2-person kayak at Crabby's and threw a light lunch and some drinks onto the boat. As long as you pick a not-too-windy day, the paddle from Coral Bay is very nice. We enjoyed the magnificent views of the island from the water and even saw a few sea turtles en route.

Once we made it to Hurricane Hole, we were instantly enchanted. We were visiting in relatively busy season, and yet, we had this part of the island all to ourselves. Paddling around the flat water bays was lovely. After a light lunch on a small sand beach, we tied up to a buoy and jumped in to snorkel the mangroves. Thought we've snorkeled extensively on the island, I'd never done mangrove snorkeling. Looking at other reviews, it's almost cliche to say as much, but it really iss other-worldly. The effort that it takes to get there has kept the coral healthy and vibrant. I saw fewer turtles than elsewhere on the island but a far more impressive array of colorful fish. Without question, I'll be back to Hurricane Hole on our next visit to St. John.

4  Thank NDMnc
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 June 2015

You know how sometimes, if everyone says the same thing, there's something to it? We chose the "do-it-yourself" route for Hurricane Hole because we wanted the freedom to choose how long to snorkel and had just done a different tour elsewhere on the island. But this is a location meant for a tour (or charter or something to get you to the right spot). We'd originally planned to rent kayaks at Crabby's, but it was too windy for several days in a row. (We thought about paddle-boarding but were advised against it in this wind.) We learned of a gap in the mangroves by the road next to Princess Bay, so we parked on the side and went in. What a cool, otherworldly environment! Yes, the water is really the color shown in photos. Really! The water at this mangrove cutout, though, is really, really, really shallow, and the bay floor is covered with upside-down jellyfish. Plus, mangrove roots poke upward and are covered with little corals, so you really don't want one touching your bare skin. If you do go, I'd say, at a minimum: water shoes (no fins, because they'd definitely damage the environment) and a full skin (I wore a shortie and got a poke on my leg that got infected and took about a month to heal--don't know how I got it, because I was super-careful, but I noticed it when we left the water). If you swim way around along the left, the water gets deeper, and then you can really start seeing and appreciating the mangrove environment. But by that time, our kids were tired and we needed to turn back. In contrast, a kayak or boat tour would let you go to the prime snorkeling spots and avoid the shallow water issues. It was a great adventure I'm glad we had--a kayak or boat tour just would've made more sense, and I'm sure we could've found a really flexible one. The environment is one to experience if you can pull it off!

6  Thank TravelLoverLaura