“"Glad to have a restaurant near the beach...good food & excellent service!"”
Review of Raintree Cafe

Raintree Cafe
Ranked #60 of 123 Restaurants in St. John
Reviewed 28 July 2017

My husband & I always eat here whenever we are on vacation in St. John and are spending the day at Cinnamon Bay Beach.
T'ree Lizard is an open-air restaurant with an abundance of tables and restroom close by.
On this visit we had our daughter, grandson and future son-in-law with us. We were seated at a table overlooking the large tree outside the dining area. My daughter got a little over-heated and our wonderful server, Ruthann, brought over a bag of ice to put on her head to cool off. It helped...thanks!
We ordered the taco salad appetizer, some cheesy fries and a beef sandwich which came with lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickles, onions and chips....all, very good!
Oh, let me not forget to say that we always enjoy the BEST Painkillers here!
These Painkillers were awesome and did not disappoint since my husband & I had been playing them up all day to our daughter and her fiancee.
It is so great and convenient to have this restaurant within a short walking distance of Cinnamon Bay Beach and worth a visit...we will definitely be back on our next visit to St. John!

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We had spent the morning at Maho and we're looking for a place for a quick lunch and decided on Raintree. My husband had the fish tacos, that were terrific, and my daughter had the lobster Mac and cheese which she loved. My son got the chicken fingers with fries and I got the chicken sandwich, both of which were ok. I had thought mine was going to be grilled chicken, but got fried chicken tenders on a bun. My fault for not reading carefully ( no glasses). Everyone was happy with their meal. There is a bar that you can order from separately but under the same roof, but we weren't drinking. They had iced water and lime water sitting out (like in hotels) that was good.this is not a fancy place to eat, but was an ok lunch spot. There is also a truck closer to the beach with food and drinks (alcoholic and non), if you'd rather eat at the beach rather than under a tree (it poured while we were their, so had chosen wisely).

Reviewed 25 March 2017

The experience at this "restaurant" was the worst we had on the island of St. John and probably the single WORST meals I've ever had to pay to eat in my life! New management has taken over the restaurant at the Cinnamon Bay Campground and has destroyed something that was previously pretty decent! Previously, the only complaints were long waits for food ... but at least the food was edible! This new iteration is simply disgusting. First off, there are only FOUR ... yes, FOUR ... total options each night for dinner! You cannot make any substitutions or additions to these FOUR choices! During the time of our stay, the meals only came with rice and beans, coleslaw and a side salad. Hey - thanks to the new management for offering particularly gassy foods to people staying in extreme close quarters of tents and small cottages! Very smart idea!

Once you ordered one of the FOUR hideous options of meals, the food arrived at your seat before you! The food literally came out within less than one minute. I understand that they are trying to mitigate previous lengthy waits, but this is too far on the opposite end of the spectrum! The food was COLD. STONE COLD!!! We ordered fried chicken (4 orders) and beef brisket at our table and each and every plate was STONE COLD! I am not exactly sure when they actually cooked our meals, but it was evident that it was LONG (as in many hours) before we actually ordered it.

While the physical changes to the pavilion were nice, the management has a LONG way to go to actually provide edible food to people staying at the facility. What you should expect: you will pay $20+ for a stone cold plate of food of which you only have the option of 4 choices. If you don't like the choices, you are out of luck as there are no other options here!

Reviewed 9 March 2017

We had lunch sandwich here while traveling through the national park. My wife had the Mahi Tacos and I had the barbeque on brioche bun. The sandwiches were generous in size and reasonably tasty. They were out of lettuce though (a reasonable thing considering the challenges of getting food shipped in). The café itself sits next to a huge, old raintree (thus the name). The service was good. Considering what we've been paying for meals, this was a pleasant surprise.

1  Thank Sonny P
Reviewed 2 March 2017

Great drinks- bushwacker, mango coladas and painkillers and at a very reasonable price during happy hour (starts at 2pm). We weren't really tempted by the dinner menus. Entrees were around 20 bucks with sides like Mac and cheese, baked beans and coleslaw. Seemed like pre- made cafeteria foods at restaurant prices. Beautiful setting.

1  Thank Catherine T