“Lazy… don’t bother.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cwmtaf
Cardiff, Wales, UK
“Lazy… don’t bother.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Don’t quite know where to start with this one! I probably should start with a review a little further down titled ‘dreadful’ which describes the place in a nutshell really. Had I then read the nature of the response from the hotel representative, I probably wouldn’t have booked in the first place and everything now makes complete sense in terms of our stay at the Nant Ddu Lodge. Never have a read such a passively defensive (borderline aggressive) and unprofessional response on trip advisor. Just to point out that response starts with “WOW…”. Also the comment about the place being “the wrong hotel for you…”, so who on earth is this the right hotel for!? Obviously someone who enjoys or is ok with the following during a hotel stay…

Let’s start with the room, which was very tired and very much confused. Our room came complete with a terrible plaster job where it appears someone must have fell through a wall, mould all around the window frame and in some corners of the room itself, a mouldy bath topped off with a shower that can only muster a dribble of lukewarm water. Aside from the aesthetics, there is no information whatsoever in the room with regards to the hotel, nothing about the restaurant or menus (which I will get to later), nothing about the nearby beautiful Brecon beacons. If I am being picky I will also mention the lack of Wi-Fi in the room and also a safety deposit box. Neither was there a safety deposit box on reception to store valuables, which was completely bemusing. The room just screamed “no one really cares!” I always judge a hotel room on whether I would have rather stayed in my own bedroom, this is something that you expect in most of the chain hotels. But in a spa hotel you do not expect to rather be in your own bedroom, something that I definitely wanted in this case!

The spa treatments were okay, but the service could have been better. Seemed that the therapists were keen to get back to texting on their mobile phones which we saw following our treatments. Just not great really for somewhere which is supposed to pamper. The pool area as satisfactory, but I can imagine that it gets pretty busy during weekends and with only a handful of loungers, not sure where people would be able to sit and relax?! Bit of a strange layout as well in terms of the hotel reception in relation to the spa.

Onto the dining experience, myself and my fiancee are real foodies so we were at least looking forward to dinner! Starters are priced at around £6.50 with mains around £16.50, now for this price I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect to know where the ingredients of the dish have come from. Especially considering that the hotel must have a wealth of fresh local produce on offer from all the farms and vendors in the south and mid-wales region, maybe the food is sourced this way, but you are not told about it! Also, considering that the restaurant is labelled a bistro, it always worries me when there is so much on the menu priced quite highly. Sure enough (for my tastes) my fish cake starter was bland and flavourless considering the mustard sauce it came in, it tasted frozen to me! My main of sea bream with salsa verde was also poor, being overcooked, bland and not very fresh tasting at all, the salsa verde was caked all over the fish and lacked any freshness. I have had much better fish for a fraction of the price at £16.50. It was just all poor quality for the price.

Finally the incident that made me want to leave the hotel immediately which I would have done had I not have had a few glasses of wine. I wanted to give some feedback on the food, and because we had eaten it (we were starving!) I didn’t necessarily expect a refund, but before I had chance to finish what I wanted to say I was met with a torrent of defensive borderline aggressive comeback from a waitress that included myself being invited into the kitchen to inspect the fish cakes which I suspected were frozen! She also asked “what did you expect?” and finally “well I am just defending our chef…” Needless to say, I was in shock, so we paid the bill and left.

The following morning we spoke to a receptionist about our experience the evening before and the way we were spoken to, the person on duty was very pleasant and extremely apologetic, she kindly offered to refund our dinner. This was the only positive thing about our stay, the way we were dealt with in the morning was professional and pleasant. The ironic thing is that, had I been given chance to finish what I was saying the evening before to the waitress, I would not have expected a refund as we did eat the food, I only wanted to give some feedback. Then the hotel would have saved themselves £60! We left the hotel as soon as possible that morning without having breakfast, which (by the way) would have cost us another £4.95 each if we wanted a cooked breakfast!? Cooked breakfasts are standard as included in the price in the majority of b&b’s and hotels!

It’s just a huge shame as far as I am concerned, because the hotel is in such a lovely location, but its let down by what appears to be a lack of general care and attention. Maybe if the hotel management spent as much time improving the establishment as they did responding to posts on trip advisor, they might have something! Basically, this is a place that seemed completely set in its ways and if you don’t like it than you are wrong because hundreds of other people do! So why bother getting rid of mouldy windows…

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Frank-TJ
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
warrington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed one night on a summer special £49.50 per person, bed and breakfast and £25 each to spend in the restaurant on dinner.
The room was very comfortable, good furnsihings, flat screen tv, sufficient toiletries and tea, coffee.
The food in the restaurant was fantastic, we are real foodies so this was a real treat. The range of food on the menu, and the quality of the produce and the cooking were top class, we were literally spoilt for choice. Wish our business could have been delayed so as to have to spend another night.
The pool and spa area were lovely, there were sunloungers around the pool, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam and a gym. Everything you could wish for and all in good condition and clean.
Our only small gripe would be everyone in the gym area, appeared to be in spa robes and slippers, when we asked where these were, we were told that we weren't entitled to them as we were in a standard room, not a superior room. For the cost of a spa robe, which is quite minimal, this seemed slightly petty.
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and restaurant, and hope to return soon.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed one night as part of a three night trip to South Wales.
Location was excellent, limited mobile coverage but great for getting away from it all which is what we were looking for.
Our room was comfortable and clean, a few bits nearly falling off or not working (mainly in the bathroom) but fine.
Spa area was great with a pool, jacuzzi, gym, sauna and steam room. The changing rooms looked shabby and need a little attention.
Staff were friendly and helpful at all times.
Dinner was amazing and I would recommend the restaurant to anyone. Food was soooooooooo yummy and deserves 5 stars on its own.
The continental breakfast was included in the room and was a great selection.

Happy with this hotel and would recommend, just a few maintenance bits in the rooms and spa changing rooms and it would be perfect.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
LHMS, CEO of Lester Hotels at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Thanks for your review and sooooo pleased you enjoyed the food.....it is good isnt it? And we are very proud of the team at Nant Ddu and the operation there.

We are going round the hotel refurbishing where necessary and your comments are most helpful.

Kindest regards

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here for one night and it was perfectly fine. The room was a good size and although the decor was a little dated it was comfortable and clean. I did have a problem with the shower, the water only dripped out when it was turned to warm or hot, to get a decent amount of water I had to keep it on cold, not ideal. I had dinner in the hotel and I thought the food was good and there was a lot of choice.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Thanks for your review and sorry about the water scenario but during the time you stayed we had the occassional issue following essential works Welsh Water had carried out in the area a few days before. Our engineers have now balanced the system and gone through everything and we seem to be sorted.

Apologies and kindest regards

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

I had stayed here for two nights whilst on business and agree with a lot of what has been said before. The hotel has obviously spent money on extending and upgrading some parts, including the spa and swimming pool area which is very good, but perhaps money needs to be spent on the bedrooms in the old part of the building.

The bedroom I was sleeping in has obviously seen better days as had the linen. The pillows were worn out and when I discovered spots of blood on my bed sheets I was less than pleased. For a hotel likes this, this was dreadful.

I have to say that the food in the restaurant, which was busy both nights, was excellent, and although I didn't have to wait to be served some of my fellow guest had to.

Would I stay here again? Yes for the spa/swimming pool and food and a definate no for the accommodation.

Brian Luckhurst

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed your stay and we will certainly look at replacing the pillows.

We used an external linen company for our laundry and they share my concerns that the sheets although clean and fully laundered had marks on them and they join with me in apologising.

We are desperately fgoing round trying to upgrade but we are so very busy it is really hard to get access to do works....but we will continue to press on.

Regards

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cwmtaf
15.2 km away
34.3 km away
The Lake Country House & Spa
The Lake Country House & Spa
#1 of 1 in Llangammarch Wells

Been to Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK