“Awesome week at Sapphire”

Sapphire Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East End
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at sapphire and had a great time. We booked through vrbo- private owner- unit E106. The unit was a first floor unit (I usually prefer higher floors), but this was perfect. 10 steps off our patio and you were in the water!! The unit was clean with a nice kitchen and comfortable bed. It was also on the quieter side of the beach- so you didn't have all the cruise ship passengers - I think if there were 5 of us on that side of the beach at the same time, it was a lot. The view from our patio was incredible!!
We knew that the resort itself wasn't fully operational- no pool bar or restaurant, etc.. I really think if they get everything open and maybe spruce up the outsides of the buildings, this resort would be top notch. It was perfect for us though.
We went to st. John for a day and also did an excursion with breakaway ii to the baths and jost van dyke- both excellent.
Also- we snorkeled at sapphire which was really good.
I hope to return to sapphire and st. Thomas again soon and I would love to stay in E106 again!
Great vacation.

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Sabersmom
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I booked a suite at Sapphire Beach. I had stayed there previously around 1996 and it was wonderful at that time with nice grounds and suites, a great restaurant called "Seagrapes" and a cool pool bar which also served food. Our two night stay was priced at $605.00. Imagine my disappointment to see the reception lobby all boarded up, the restaurant closed and in serious disrepair, and the pool bar & restaurant boarded up with one of the roofs missing. The exteriors of the buildings worn and in disrepair. This was not the luxury resort I remembered. Check in is 3:00pm but we arrived early at 2pm. We were told we could not check in until 3pm when the bellhop arrives and would have to bring our luggage into the reception area, which now occupies one of the small suites on the 2nd floor of Building A. After lugging our stuff up to this "office", we are given a key and told to return at 3. We decide to see where our room and located and notice it is ready. So we went back to get our luggage and took it to the room. At a real resort, and one charging the rate we were being charged, reception would have checked to see if the room was ready and let us check in. Now, if the room was not ready, that's totally fair. But she didn't even check, and it WAS ready. I think the receptionist was trying to force us to use, and pay, the bellhop. Which I would have if he was there, even though I didn't need him. But he wasn't. What resort doesn't have a bellhop on duty until 3pm? What about elderly people with luggage who check out at 11am? Our room was on the first floor of Building C...a very nice location. But it was not clean. Stained bedspread, dirt on the floor, snot and various goo on the wall and bathroom mirror. The room had not been updated or maintained since it was built. Broken sliding screen doors with rusty brackets to cut your feet, and sliding glass doors in severe disrepair among many other things. I found out that at Sapphire Beach Resort, each suite is individually owned. Some of these owners allow the management company to book the rooms. Obviously, the owner of our suite didn't maintain it. And the management company rented it out anyway, giving it only a perfunctory cleaning if you could call it that. So the key is to not book through Antilles Resorts or Exclusive Resorts. The photos on there site are 15 years old, showing the pool bar in operation and the buildings pristene, making no mention of the closed facilities. I found out that it's better to book directly with one of the owners through VRBO, who take better care of their suites and use their own cleaning crews. Lesson learned. As to the poor condition of the exterior and grounds, I learned about the resort's financial and legal issues which has resulted in the closing of the restaurant and pool bar, and the policy of "deferred maintenance" for the rest of the property. The condo association collects fees from each owner, but doesn't invest it into keeping up the condition of the buildings. So sad, as it's a great location. By the way, the beach is nice and the pool is great too. The view of the ocean and St. John are breathtaking. There are nice restaurants in Red Hook, a quick cab ride away. I expect when the financial/legal issues are cleared up, they can restore the property or at least maintain it. There are restaurant operators ready to take over the restaurant consessions whenever this stuff is resolved. One owner I talked to said this could take a year. But it's the Carribean, so it may be longer. I let the manager know of the poor condition of our suite. I showed her the photos I took of all the issues. She was professional with me, and expressed regret over the condition of the room and the property at large. My guess is that as "middle management", she may be in a position where she doesn't have authority to do what needs to be done with the property. She worked at the resort back when I first visited and was disappointed at what has happened. While she did not offer to move us to a different suite, we did renegotiate the price to one that was commensurate with the condition of the room and resort. If I go back, it'll be after I've checked on the condition of the property, and I'll be sure to book directly with a private owner.

Room Tip: There is no fitness center or spa.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mmvoicever
Reviewed 9 April 2012

A little run down, nice beach no one there. It seemed like a hotel needing renovation. Bathrooms looked like Mexico.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We just returned spent a week march 21-28th. This was our second year in a row. The first couple days we were there the weather was a little rainy. Also we decided to rent a car after spending $250+ on cabs. It wasn't near as difficult as I thought driving. I wll always rent a car now. The wind brought in seaweed most mornings, but the staff bagged it up before most people woke up. My wife and i renewed our vows for our 5th anniversary and my 50th birthday. had a great time. I also talked to some new condo owners, they said they bought the condo because they were told, the lawsuit has been settled and things were looking up. There was supposed to be 2 new resteraunts being planned including the pool one reopened. We will be back.

Room Tip: Look around VRBO. C109 is where we stay every year, it is awesome.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tony M
Reviewed 21 March 2012

my fiance and i chose this fabulous destination as a last minute trip and had the best vacation ever! we met the nicest man that owned a place on Saphire beach the first day who gave us his top picks for restaurants and even connected us with a wedding planner so we could elope!! the beach was breath taking the weather was perfect and the people and staff were so friendly and helpful! the food was great no matter how high or low end you wanted...we had everything from steak and lobster to pizza and we were never disappointed! we are definitely going back every year as this was the perfect vacation and its great for both families and couples looking to have a romantic getaway. we got married on the point of Saphire Beach and it was magical! cannot praise this place enough...book a trip NOW!!!!

Room Tip: we mentioned that we were getting married so they upgraded us to a beachfront second floor villa tha...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in East End
7.9 km away
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Sapphire Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK