All reviewsprivate poolsapphire beachliving roomthese unitsred hook areafull size refrigeratorhousekeeping servicerented a carstaff was very friendly and helpfulrestaurants and barsprivacypropertythomasislandbeachespropertiesgrill
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for a week and loved it. Each unit is individually owned, so experiences may vary by owner. There was some construction in the area on some of the units,but ours was great. Clean, spacious, and relaxing. We stayed in a unit owned by Chris Barclay. Chris provided tons of information on things to do and got us a really good discount on an all day excursion into BVI.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

I made reservations to this hotel after the hotel I had chosen to stay (Frenchman’s Reef) closed down due to hurricane Irma and informed me. This was in November. Pavilions and Pools accepted my reservation and off we went for a happy family vacation. When we arrived the hotel was closed and since it is in the middle of nowhere there was no one to help us out. Eventually someone with the hotel uniform drove in to drop something off and told us the hotel was closed due to Irma and since the apartments are privately owned (not mentioned in the reviews) there was nothing the could do. All he did was give me the number for a taxi and send us away. Luckily we still managed to find a place at a nearby hotel. Why do they accept reservations when they are closed? This is a trap, stay away.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Tinegreat
Reviewed 22 February 2018

Before I dive into this review I want to be very fair to the plight of the good people of St. Thomas. Their beautiful Island was assaulted and the devastation is everywhere. Sapphire Beach was not spared so my review will attempt to be very sensitive to this fact.

First of all, as much as it pains me to say, don't go to Sapphire Beach Resort. It pains me because the setting is so beautiful and the potential so great. But the deception and lack of professional management made this experience one to forget.

We decided to stay in St. Thomas for 2 days post-cruise after 7 glorious days aboard SeaDream 1. We find it (usually) a good idea to get 'grounded' after a cruise before heading home. Normally that's been a good idea, this time I'm not so sure.

During the booking process we were well aware that accommodation was somewhat scarce. Many of the larger resorts were closed so we literally took what we could get.

The reservation indicated a marine view suite which, judging by the property layout, would be located near the marina. After leaving the ship we took a taxi over to the Sapphire. it was on that drive that we really came to appreciate the scope of the hurricane damage.

When we arrived at the property around 11am the office (one of the condos) was closed and locked tight. This is a Saturday. We were told by one of the housekeepers that the manager would be in by noon and sat outside the makeshift office wondering if we had made a terrible mistake. Since we had an hour to wait we walked around the property. Again we saw massive damage to some of the buildings and resort facilities.

The adjacent Sapphire Beach is no where near as long as I've heard it described. A public access and beach bar was open so we stopped in for a drink. We asked about the property and learned that there is no restaurant or other facilities and that the nearest store was in the nearby town of Red Hook. After a brief walk about we headed back to the office and were told by the housekeeper that the manager was running late and would be there in about a half hour. In the meantime she let us into one of the rooms to wait. The condo we waited in was quite nice, directly on the beach with a postcard view. The interior was a bit dated and tired but we were only there for two nights so that wasn't a big concern.

Finally the manager arrived. She had just come from her 'other' job and was stuck in traffic. After some confusion as to our reservation details she announced that we were in fact not staying at this resort but were booked into their adjacent property called Pools & Pavilions but not to worry as we would have our own private pool!

Eventually we piled into the hotels minivan for the short transfer to the adjoining property. Pools & Pavilions is a single story long series of connected condo units further inland. The hurricane damage to this facility was so severe that ours was one of the only units open. They had just got power the day before.

True to her word the condo did have its own private full size pool and was outfitted with a kitchen, living room, bedroom and large bathroom. One of the two air conditioners worked. The TV and telephone did not as the services were still out. No problem for us really as we were here for the weather and had our own cell phone.

It suddenly dawned on us that we needed some provisions for meals as there were literally no services on the property. We arranged for a taxi to take us to Red Hook and stopped at a great little seaside restaurant called Fish Tails Bar & Grill. Highly recommended! We later picked up a few groceries at Moe's Market and headed 'home'.

The condo itself was very dated, tired and dirty. The dishes and cutlery had a greasy feel to them that caused you to want to wash anything before touching it. There was a safe, but no-one could find the key. But the real highlight of the unit was the bathroom. It's almost too much to try and describe but I'll do my best.

The bathroom was obviously retrofitted (badly) in order to accommodate a large walk in shower. The shower was next to an open air garden at one end complete with heavy and light screening allowing some sunshine and rain to come in but nothing else. The bathroom gardens were made up of potted tropical plants, odd shaped stones and a big conch shell in the centre. Keep that in mind.

Later after we had relaxed a bit and checked out the pool we decided to call it a day. During the night I got up for a bit of a nature call and while in the bathroom I heard a rustling sound from the garden. I looked over and was horrified to see 3 live hermit crabs milling about in the garden. One of them in the process of climbing back into the conch shell.

Now these crabs are obviously not there by accident and the owner is likely responsible for their presence but for a naive Canadian weary from travel...I would have appreciated a bit of a heads up about the shared accommodation! I decided I'd better forewarn my wife about our roommates to avoid a midnight scream-fest!

We made the best of the situation and it wasn't until the morning of our check out date that the cockroaches made themselves known. Not too many and not too big but at over $600 a night it's hard to gauge value. Needless to say we were more than ready to leave.

Lot's of things go through my head on this. Why wouldn't they have been more honest about the accommodation? Especially with what they are charging as this will only result in our never returning and warning everyone we can of our experiences. Goodness knows the island is suffering and needs the tourism business to recover. But at least warn people of what to expect and offer appropriate pricing. If we were staying for a week or more....well we wouldn't have stayed that's for certain.

But it's not so much the money. We've stayed in rip off places in the past and have put up with various creepy crawlies (that's the Caribbean) but this place was downright creepy.

Hurricane or no hurricane it wouldn't have made any difference. This was the very first time in many years of travel that I genuinely couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TheBarron
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

While a little dated, the concept of this property is great! You have your own villa with a living/dining room and kitchen, bathroom and your very own private pool. Your front door is the wall that surrounds your pool and deck with grill. The hotel is part of a consortium with about 4 other properties on Sapphire Beach in Red Hook on the East End. You can Safari right into town for provisions, restaurants and bars! Cabs are pretty readily available, but no Über. It is the ultimate in privacy. Staff was great. Snorkel, relax, swim, eat, sleep. Whatever your heart desires. I would return in a heartbeat!!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grazieguy73
Reviewed 7 August 2017

My wife and I first stayed at Pavilions and Pools in 1988. We have returned multiple times. We just got home from our 2017 vacation. Each villa provides lots of privacy, a full kitchen, a comfortable living room, a garden shower and your own very secluded pool. It is within easy walking distance of Sapphire Beach, a short drive to Red Hook, and if you don't wish to drive for dinners, the superb Lime Garden Lounge and Restaurant is on the premises. If you want to stay in a typical resort, this may not be the place for you, but if you want to be able to relax in in a calm, very comfortable environment, with an awesome staff ... you can't do any better than P&P!!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family