Windward Passage Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
View Hotel
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Pool
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
View Hotel
Island Beachcomber Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband. It is a quick and inexpensive safari (taxi) ride from the airport. This hotel is directly across the street from the water, but not a swimming beach. I think it is worth it to have a Harbor View Room. We did not originally book a Harbor View Room, but when we checked into the hotel, we were given a room with two beds instead of one king that we booked in advance. They changed us to a king room and upgraded us to a Harbor View. The sunrise and sunset views were gorgeous. The room was clean and updated, but there might be some rooms that have not been updated yet (not sure). The room also had a balcony.
It is a short walk to restaurants and shops. The hotel has a restaurant, swimming pool, bar and a very small "casino." There is a bbq food vendor across the street. The food was not bad, but only okay.
The hotel also provides a free shuttle to Magan's Bay Beach. Note that you have to pay an entrance fee to the beach (the driver will collect the fee). The free shuttle is definitely worth it if you don't rent a car.
Many thanks to the hotel and staff for such a pleasant and unforgettable stay in St. Thomas.

Room Tip: The Harbor View Room offers unforgettable views of sunrise, sunset, cruise ships, sea planes and more!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mango_Trees
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stopped into the Windward Passage Hotel when we had to spend the night in St. Thomas before getting an early ferry back to Tortola. The hotel is in the ideal location if you need to be at the ferry dock in the morning, less than a two minute walk.
We struggled into the hotel, late and jet-lagged following a transatlantic flight. We didn't have a reservation and we just wanted a bed for the night. Reception were kind and helpful and the complimentary rum punches were much appreciated. A special mention must also go to our very welcoming bartender Adam.
Our room was clean and well appointed, but it did have a slightly strange smell which necessitated us keeping the window open and getting a bit of traffic noise as a result.
Tip: If you are getting an early ferry - make sure you leave a bit of time for check-out as you won't be the only guests trying to get to the ferry dock on time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The staff at the front desk were helpful with suggestions and directions and as the title says, it's located about 10 minutes from the airport and walking distance to the downtown area.

I rated this property poorly because of the following:
We couldn't figure out what the smell was, but we believe the room was wiped down with a smelly towel. The water pressure in the shower was weak and the temperature was inconsistent, mostly just cold. The worst issue we had was that we came home with bed bug bites, each of us had about 20 bites, which didn't appear until we left...we stayed 4 nights. I had to completely clean out my apartment, concerned that I may have brought them home with me.

I am trying to contact the hotel to let them know of the problem but not able to reach anyone by phone.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 238, not sure if other rooms have bed bugs, but this one surely does.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank njkc1234
Patrick M, General Manager at Windward Passage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us here at The Windward Passage Hotel in St Thomas VI.
I have addressed the issue with the smell in the room as well the water pressure issue . In addition once I reviewed your comments I along with my pest control company inspected the room for any issue involving pests and upon a complete inspection located nothing. Being a General Manager for over 20 years in the industry I have had a great deal of training relating to bed bugs and what to look for once a complaint is received. Being so close to the water and in the tropics we experience more mosquito and sand flees than back in the states. However your satisfaction is very important to me.
Again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Odd hotel. Waited 45 min to getroom at checkin. Room was a single amd we needed a double. While on phone with manager a piece falls out of the a/c nearly hitting my wile. And the wireless did not work. Bowntown bar was the best feat. This is an old hotel

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I loved the central location of this hotel for getting to other places! It's easy to get a "taxi" to any place on the island, including the beautiful beaches. This hotel offers a once-a-day free shuttle to Megan's Bay. The hotel is also walking distance to shopping and restaurants and the ferries to St. John or BVI (and seaplane). The hotel itself has a lot to be desired, but the staff is very helpful, the rooms adequate, and the pool area is AOK. Bring your own shampoos, soaps, etc. the ones here are below average quality. I was there in March and there was steel drum music in the courtyard most every night, (all rooms open to it), sometimes too loud, so just take that in stride. Some day this property will get "fixed up" and the price will "hike up" so enjoy it while it is "affordable"- at least compared to other hotels on St. Thomas.

Room Tip: I absolutely loved having the harbor view, although road noise could be a minor irritation. The A/C units can be noisy too, check it first thing in case you want to move. No bar service at the pool - self serve.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Listens2owls

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. Yes our location is one of the many reasons guests choose to stay with us. Sorry about the poor internet service we are working on improving the service. Your feedback will be reviewed in our managers meeting so we can continue to improve our guest experience.