Through Diamond Resorts I booked a two bedroom unit using my points with Diamond. When I arrived our unit was not yet ready, and I had to wait until 4:00 PM before I could get into the unit, even though the room is supposed to be ready by 3:00 PM. The two bedroom unit turned out to be two studios with a connecting door that wouldn't even stay open, so to go from one unit to the other, you had to prop the door open, otherwise it would lock you out of your room. When I complained that I had reserved a two bedroom I was informed that the resort only had two two bedroom units and both were occupied.
We had a 4 yr. old child with us and wanted to cook meals in the unit. There was no dishwasher and the sink was so small you couldn't even fit a dinner dish into it. Needless to say, clean up after meals was a chore.
We had brought DVD's to keep the 4 yr. old occupied in the evening, but there was no DVD player in either studio. It took us three days to get a DVD player delivered and installed, and that was only because we were able to get the assistant manager to assist us; the front desk kept passing us off to houskeeping, who told us there was no DVD player available.
The resort is on a very steep hill, which makes walking into and retuning to and from town difficult, unless you are young or middle aged. There is no beach available, so you must rent a car or pay step taxi fares to get to a beach. For the week it cost us $312.00 to rent a car, but had we used taxis it would have been much more.
When it came time to checkout, the woman at the desk told me she couldn't print out our bill because the printer was jammed. After I fixed it (which consisted of turning the printer off and then back on) I then had to wait 15 minutes while all the other items in the que had printed out. When it came time to print out my boarding pass, it turned out that the computer was hooked up to the wrong printer, and no one was available to fix it. I felt that the people manning the front desk were untrained, not very bright, and not interested in helping the guests (which tends to be typical in the Carribean when you have to hire local uneducated people).
At the pool area (which is also where you must buy breakfast and lunch) a multitude of yelling children (totally unsupervised by their parent) made it difficult to eat or read in peace.
So, if you are traveling with just one other person, and don't plan to cook in, and don't plan to go to the beach every day, and don't mind incompetent help, and don't mind screaming children, you may enjoy what the resort does have to offer; a beautiful view of the city, the sight of cruise ships arriving and departing, the sight of sea planes taking off and landing in the harbor, then this resort might be for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bluebeard's Castle is an historic property dating back to the 1600's. The resort occupies an entire hilltop with spectacular views overlooking the harbor and town of Charlotte Amalie. Its signature red rooftops are among the first sights for arriving cruise passengers.The resort includes a centuries-old fortress bearing the name "Bluebeard," after the infamous pirate, and check-in takes place in the former residence of the Danish governor of the island. This tropical paradise is the perfect place for a private getaway as it is set on a secluded hilltop and overlooks the harbor of St. Thomas. Bluebeard's Castle is centrally located in the most desirable part of the island with world class shopping minutes away. With only a short drive from some of the most popular beaches in the Caribbean where you can enjoy boating, scuba diving, snorkeling and windsurfing. The island itself offers a wonderful assortment of duty-free shopping, world-class restaurants (including the top-rated ROOM WITH A VIEW on location!), hot night spots, and a variety of local flavor to satisfy every taste. This resort features history, breathtaking views, and easy access to town. Beaches are literally minutes away so you can visit them all including easy ferry rides to St. John and the British Virgin Islands (Tortola and Virgin Gorda). You will see why owners at the resort are passionate about their units. It is this passion that will once again be the reason that Bluebeard's Castle will become a sought after destination resort. Many lucky RCI members will take advantage of this now! The resort is in the midst of a historic multi-million dollar remodel that will change all that you have heard. The proof is found in our regular maintenance reports as well as our news and picture sections. Also, schedules of on-resort dining are now posted in these reports. Owners are excited about what the future holds and you should be as well. Spread the word. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bluebeard's Castle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebeards Castle Charlotte Amalie
- Hotel Bluebeards Castle
- Bluebeards Castle St Thomas
- Bluebeard's Castle Resort St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie