Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Great view and amenities”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a September vacation and we were in off season. The pool was being renovated and half was shut down but it wasn't a big deal because there weren't that many people there and we ran into some NFL players from WV that were just released, which was kinda cool for us...not them. The location is a bit out of the way without a vehicle, which I highly recommend. The driving isn't bad and younget used to being on the lest side of the road quickly. We enjoyed watching the cruse ships come in and planes land on the water in the bay off the hotel balcony. Our first room was next to a huge AC unit and after we asked to move we were promptly moved to a GREAT room with a balcony and better view. Great place to stay and rent a car

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Thank you for your excellent review! It must have been very exciting running into some professional athletes from your home state! We hope that you and your husband will visit the island again this year! Since the time of your September stay, we have completed a $48 million renovation of Frenchman’s Reef including room updates, new pools and spa and new lounge areas. We also updated most restaurants and common areas. This spring and summer, look for some great special offers here on Tripadvisor. Thank you again for posting!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

I loved staying at Marriott's Morning Star but mostly just because the beach was gorgeous. I have to be honest and let you know we are frequent Marriott customer's and are Platinum Marriott members which is the highest status in their loyalty program, that being said, our service was okay. Certainly not at the level we receive in the states. BUT, realizing it is the Caribbean, we learn to adjust those standards. (sad but true). We had a awesome room about 10 steps to the water down on the beach, and I have to tell you that was great! The room was on the small side, but it was very clean. The bed didn't feel like the usual super comfy Marriot mattress, but it was okay, not horrible. The beach chairs are a bit shabby, and weren't that comfortable. There wasn't any beach service, you had to walk up the beach bar and order for yourself, which was a bit of walk. The four star review is based on the location. If we weren't in this location, it would probably be a 2. We went over to Frenchmen's Reef (the views were awesome over the harbor) but it was very musty and smelled like wet carpet, it was very tired and worn. Seemed to be fairly clean but still the smell wasn't great.

Room Tip: Stay in the Morning Star section, NOT Frenchmen's Reef.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bugtussle85
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for your compliments, suggestions and generous review rating. The photos you posted are beautiful! I am glad to hear your Morning Star room was sparkling clean and you enjoyed the location and close proximity to the beach. We are always seeking ways to improve our products and service, so I am discussing your maintenance comments with our management team. We’re grateful to have loyal members like yourselves stay with us and would like to earn your continued loyalty by resolving any issues as they present themselves. That is why these positive reviews with suggestions are so helpful. Thank you again and we hope that your next vacation brings you back to St. Thomas and to Frenchman’s Reef!

Reviewed 31 March 2012

We had a great time at Frenchmans Reef. Good food,great weather, sunny beachs, and RUM. Overall the property was nice. Everyone was really helpful. Definitly talk to Clint if you can. He helped us alot with dinner suggestions everynight and unique places to go during the day that were off the beaten path. it was a very fun 5 days. looking forward to coming back this fall. I fully recommend the hotel to anyone. If I had one suggestion its be patient, your own island time!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking a moment to post! We certainly do appreciate the compliment for our concierge team member Clint and will be sure to personally recognize him for this continued service excellence. We look forward to your next visit to show you the same or even greater level of satisfaction and fun!

Reviewed 30 March 2012

My family has come to this hotel for many years. Just got back from a 7 day stay and found that the mid-management men behind the reception desk just could not be bothered to help out guests. If a female receptionist were present, I could request beach towels etc.at the front desk. If one of the male managers were present, they made me walk down to the pool area which was far from my room.
The worst was when I requested a one hour extension on our check out time. Now, after having spent thousands of dollars at this hotel, and I am an elite member with Marriott, I was repeatedly refused! The man in charge said that Marriott hotels have the option of honoring elite members with this perk and that my room would be cleaned as soon as I checked out at 11AM.
Well, since my flight did not leave until 3PM, I went back to my room at 12:30 PM and the maids had not cleaned it and he could have easily extended my checkout untill 12:00.
He just did not want to be bothered.
When I pay this much money, I expect to get the perks that I pay for by being an elite Marriott member.
Nice hotel...Lazy management.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kayak4822

Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like you had a very mixed experience on your most recent visit and I’d like to extend a personal apology for the inconveniences you mention here. One thing we strive for is consistency, so I appreciate you bringing the front desk issue to my attention to be resolved. Regarding your late check-out request, the decision process for granting a late check-out is the same as granting an early check-in and, like most hotels, is based primarily upon occupancy levels. We do our utmost to grant our members all the benefits of their Marriott status. In your case it sounds like we were unable to and again, I apologize. On a positive note, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the resort as a whole. We hope you will be so kind as to continue to choose Frenchman’s Reef as your hotel of choice in the future as we work towards resolving these issues. Thank you again for your comments and if you have any questions or would like to discuss this in more detail, feel free to reach out to me personally at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

If you stay at the Marriott Frenchman, seek out Clint Zambrano at the concierge desk. My friend and I didn't find Clint until toward the end of our stay and we wish we had found him sooner! He was a wealth of information about local sights, shopping and events. The hotel and pool are lovely, and the staff is friendly. We had a great time and look forward to returning.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Martha Z

Thank you for the kind words about Clint and the excellent satisfaction ratings! We are looking forward to your return trip!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
0.3 km away
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK