“Hurricane Irma took it out. Haven't heard anything about reopening as of March 2018 :-(”
Review of Latitude 18 - CLOSED

Latitude 18
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Latitude 18 is one of the last remaining true island, open air restaurant in St. Thomas. Come experience the rustic charm of this 25 year old landmark! The road is bumpy but would you rather go to a bad bar at the end of a good road or a GREAT bar at the end of a bad road? Latitude 18 sits on the edge of the azure ocean. We serve Caribbean and American cuisine! And the FAMOUS "Shark & Bake" Sandwich which was featured on the Food Network and is available ONLY at Latitude 18. Renowned for LIVE ENTERTAINMENT there's live music and dancing EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK! Latitude 18, THE LIVE MUSIC CAPITAL OF ST. THOMAS Latitude 18.....Great Food.....Live Music!!
Reviewed 4 April 2018

The building suffered quite a bit of damage during the recent hurricanes and at this time there are not plans that I am aware of for re-opening. But I'm sure it is just a matter of time. Check the St. Thomas groups on FB for updates.

1  Thank Bruce_Baumbush

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Let me start off by saying, order the island calamari!!! By far the best calamari I've ever had. We also ordered the crusted tuna and jerk wings & were not disappointed. Our waitress was very nice and attentive. There was a live band that was impressive. The restaurant sits right on the water with amazing views! You have to go down a steep road with potholes to get here but I promise it's worth it! Can't wait to come back to this place when we return to St. Thomas

1  Thank Sarah V
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We keep coming back to this spot every time we are in the VI. It has new owners as of Summer 2017 but it is just good as ever. The food is really good, especially for the price...it is more of a local's spot so the prices are reasonable for the island but the food is as good as all the best restaurants on the island. It has a great vibe and you can usually always catch a good local band there on any given night. Highly recommended!

1  Thank UnderTheSeaLee
Reviewed 5 August 2017

In our week on St. Thomas, Latitude 18 was far and away our worst experience. We had a large group of 10 adults at one table and 7 children at another. Our waitress was baffled from the minute we sat down. My wife and I were going to split the fried mozzarella appetizer, which we ordered and never got. It was still on our bill until we pointed it out. My dinner came 20 minutes after our entire table had finished their meals. Aware of the problem, the manager came by a few times to assure me my dinner would be right out. When my food finally arrived, the manager came by to check on me and offered to buy me a drink. Clueless. In this situation, every restaurant I've ever been to would have removed my dinner from the bill. Not here. I politely refused the drink. I wish I would have refused the meal. As an added bonus, there is an excellent chance you'll get a flat tire going down the road leading to the restaurant. It is a road in the very loosest sense of the word.

Ched S, Owner at Latitude 18, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Good Day Rsoxman,

Was this July 23rd? If so, I remember you and the day. First, I am very sorry for your late food / service and my inability to rectify it fully. I was the manager who came to check on you.

You and your family came in just before a wedding party of 40. The party was arriving to the back of the restaurant by 6 separate dingy shuttles. My focus was getting the bride, groom, and guests off safely. I was not able to observe and manage the floor as I normally do. While my attention was on the newly weds, your food order was neglected by me and my staff. When I went to your table to check in, I was informed that your food was late. I rushed my kitchen staff to get it out on the fly. I was not aware of how long you had been waiting, but thought I would offer not only you, but everyone sitting around you a round of drinks. This would have totaled much more than the expense of your roti, and hopefully allowed you to enjoy the band a bit longer. Every one denied the drink. As my focus went back to the bride and groom, I was not able to adjust your bill to either of our satisfaction. With that said, I would like to offer dinner or lunch for two complimentary the next time you are in STT, or send you a refund for your roti. Please contact me with which option you would like, and I will gladly make it happen. My email is chedsharpless@hotmail.com

It is my duty and pleasure to ensure that our guests leave happy with a positive experience. We failed in this case, and would like to make it up.
I hope you accept my apology, and I look forward to making a wrong a right.

Ched Sharpless
Owner

PS - The road is a point of discussion. Do we pave it and take away the "adventure" that 90% of our guests say they love, or leave it as a small hurdle to get to a hidden waterside experience...? The debate will continue.
Also, I have never been called "clueless" in a food and beverage situation before... I guess I was in this case, but it still stings a bit. All the best.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed 4 days in St Tomas on a sail boat near Latitude 18. They were always friendly and accommodating. On the first day we had the conch fritters and the Ahi Tuna sandwich. They were both great. I wanted something spicy to go with my fritters so Steve brought me some liquid fire that actually went well with the sweet mango sauce that was served with the Fritters. We are here at least once a day and Steve would always try to get me to try the calamari. On the last day I relented. OMG they were outstanding! I have good calamari and I have had some really awful calamari but on this day I have the best calamari of my culinary life!!! It was FRESH, it was tender, it was perfectly cooked, it was Fresh!! It was lightly battered and then flash fried, and then it was drizzled with a heavenly goodness mixture of balsamic, aoli, and fresh shaved parm. There were other ingredients but they escape me right now. The calamari was tender and crispy and there was not a chewy bite to be had. Oh and did I mention the calamari were Fresh??!! My only regret was that I didn't listen Steve on the first day when I was asking for menu suggestions... The owner, Brad told me this is his recipe that he has been perfecting for years and he serves it at all of his restaurants. I'm not positive how many other restaurants Brad has in St Thomas but I know he has a pizza place called Slice Vi and I know that they carry this on their menu. So wether you're in the mood for some great bar fare by the water, or your in the mood for a slice of pie, be sure to try the calamari! It's to die for!!!!

2  Thank Christie D
Ched S, Owner at Latitude 18, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Hi Christie!
I am thrilled that you had such a good stay at L18. Brads calamari is certainly a shinning star on our menu and Steve is the cream of the crop when it comes to service.
Thank you very much for your glowing review and we look forward to serving you the next time you are on island.
Thanks again!