“Poor Service/Attitude”

Sand Castle on the Beach
Ranked #2 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The staff was good (working under a bad owner) with very poor people skills, very unpleasant, does not know the meaning of hospitality. Hotel rooms very dark, bars on windows, low grade linen,
uncomfortable beds. We left in a hurry.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else on the island
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sand Castle on the Beach

Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stay at Sand Castle 3 times a year and have done so for the past 17yrs. What a joy! The incredible on the beach location, the accomodations, the sunsets, the restauarnt, are all just a little bit of heaven!..Even the continental breakfast is perfect: lots of goodies, fresh juice, and the best damn coffee day after day, and all set up (protected from the precious birds) right in their open air diningroom on the beach. I can't say enough about my little peice of heaven right there in the blue-breen Carinbbean. Jeffrey Zeiner NYC

Room Tip: shoot for a view of the ocean
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank Jeffrey Z
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I wish I hadn't given this place such a glowing review last year so I could comparatively show just how much more fabulous it is now. A new chef at the adjacent restaurant,Beach Side Cafe, treated us to mouthwatering delights (especially the bang-bang shrimp, and pear-infused 4-cheese tortelini!) and it's now open 5 nights a week and 6 days for lunch and yummy drinks. What's more, I treated myself to a massage by Simone. More than heaven! She taught me to exhale one beat more than the inhale, and to relax every muscle "with complete abandon." Seriously, it's something I keep practicing. The staff is gracious and fun, and the place is small enough that you quickly know most guests by first name. Just a wonderful, wonderful place for my husband and me to celebrate another wedding anniversary. And we've already booked our dates for next year!

Room Tip: We love the villas, though they are pricier.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AllSmiles00
Reviewed 12 March 2012

the location of this hotel is fabulous. owners and most staff are very friendly. Stayed one week alone and second week niece joined me. Bed was kinda hard, roll-away bed was horrible (huge sag in middle). Noticed roof leaked during hard rain, told front desk but nothing done; fortunately it only leaked one other time (yes, onto the roll-away bed). Light needed bulb replaced, told front desk but they did not do anything.
Maid service daily was great, very clean and friendly.
Beach location was extremely clean and beautiful.
Restaurant (Beach side cafe) was a 4 or 5 star; very very very good food for lunch and dinners.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room overlooking garden or ocean (we had a perfect view of parking lot).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank FrozenInMichigan
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is largely in response to the 2/12/12 one star review because that person brought up some interesting points. I rented an apartment on STX for 2 months, rather isolated, went to a hotel a few times for a pool and so on. Was here at the Sand Castle at the end of June. 1st: electricity rates in STX are insane. Here in Ohio I pay 7.4 kwh. On STX the residentialk rate is 51.9 kwh so the electricity sur-charge is the cost of doing business, shocking, true. Now what I find MOST interesting is THIS: I stayed for 2 nights (well, ONE)....because I was in the "new annex" where there is wifi and the first night was lovely, the SECOND night The Jersey Shore landed on me. Screaming, banging around, everyone barking into cell phones, awful........really REALLY offensive because this property is "sold" as "mature" and "relaxing" and I am not THAT old and could understand ENTHUSIASM but this was three hours of PROLONGED SPRING BREAK-ISH NOISE............and THEN I went to the desk...........and THEN I was offered a room in the old hotel............well, THAT doesn't have wi-fi which I needed..........so I was offerede NOTHING............I checked out and left and went back to the apartment I was living in.............the staff gladly charged me $180 for a room I left at 9pm that night.............and was not very apologetic about it.............Fredriksted is absolutely unsafe at night. Completely. Christiansted is much safer. The beach is lovely here and the sunsets gorgeous. The staff at this hotel learns your name and uses it almost too much. The atmosphere walks a line between welcoming and Stepford.............the property is not so much over-rated as I think the location in unsafe Fredriksted is not disclosed, the fact they DO book "spring breakers" is not disclosed, the fact that there are so few hotels on STX in general and only TWO in Fredriksted is not disclosed which leads the traveller to think the fact this one boasts being "#1" is "something else" when in effect it is NOT..............I was VERY VERY disappointed with how my situation was handled...........the restaurant is good but over-priced even for STX standards............when thinking about booking this one sift through the "praise" and take a long, deep look at location and the bill of goods as DELIVERED..............two recent reviews cannot be wrong regarding the outrageous noise and the ungracious handling of our complaints...................basically, don't sell yourself as something you are not..............bottom line: more than decent with a gorgeous beach, city itself is flat out dangerous after dark, oversold and overhyped.......

Room Tip: Only the new annex has wi-fi..............rooms have paper thin walls, appears some staff members li...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ElPorteno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
20.1 km away
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
8.9 km away
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sand Castle on the Beach? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK