“Great Hotel, Great Island!”
Review of West Bay Club

West Bay Club
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We just got back from our Spring break trip at the West Bay Club and had a Fabulous time! There were 8 of us staying in the 4 bedroom suite. I have to say the suite was beautiful and huge! I could have gotten lost in there. It is actually 5 bedrooms, if you count the den which had a hide-a-bed couch, its own tv, sink and mini fridge. Beautiful beachfront view! The room was very well appointed, clean, and beautifully decorated. Very reasonably priced for what we got. Greeted us with free rum punch at check-in. The staff at the hotel was awesome, especially the beach crew! There were 10 of us total (2 ppl staying in another room) and after the first day, when we went out to the beach, the beach attendants recognized us and took us over to others in our party. Set up chairs, towels, took drink orders, brought us free watermelon snacks. One day they even had 10 chairs & towels lined up and ready for all of us when we got to the beach! Great service! They also took my husband and daughter out on a hobie cat ride, and taught them how to use the paddle boards. The West Bay Club is on a great stretch of beach that isn't too crowded like some of the other places down the beach.

I've seen people complain about the free breakfast here... really people? It's free. The breakfast was perfectly fine, Bagels, pastries, cereal, fruit, coffee, juices, etc... it was plenty for us to grab a quick bite before we headed off to the beach. The pool area wasn't as extravagant as say... the Gansevoort, but I really don't know why people would spend time at any pool when you have the beautiful beaches and crystal clear water just steps away? Isn't that the reason you traveled to Turks and Caicos in the first place? If you stay here, walk down the beach to "Somewhere" at the Coral Gardens for lunch or dinner. They have drink specials every day... mojito monday, tequila tuesday, etc... with half price drinks, and great fish tacos! Some of our other favorite places to eat: Magnolia Wine Bar (great food and view, definitely go here) Mango Reef, (great food and atmosphere) The Shark Bite (try the almond crusted grouper, mmmm good). Hemingways was good also. Went to Las Brisas for lunch, beautiful view of Chalk Sound!

If you are traveling here, I would definitely rent a car to get easily to restaurants, as they are spread out over the island. And also so you can take a trip to the other side of the island to visit Taylor Bay beach...one of the most beautiful places I've been! Head to the "downtown" area and hit the salt mills area, there are some cute little shops there for souvenirs that have more than your normal keychains, shot glasses, and t-shirts. Came home with some local artwork which I love. Don't forget to visit Potcake Place in the Salt Mills shopping area, cute little homeless potcake puppies looking for a new home! Danny Buoys was a fun night spot, with karaoke on Tuesday night, all the locals are friendly and welcoming! Husband had fun at the casino playing poker. Go watch the sun set from the infinity bar at the Grace Bay Club with one of their yummy martinis! Oh and don't forget the Conch Shack! Great beach bar, great rum punch, and live music on Sunday afternoons!

Driving on Provo was interesting, and a little scary... yes they drive on the left, but that really wasn't the problem...there aren't any stop signs or lights on the island, just a bunch of round-a-bouts and crazy drivers. We rented a car from Grace Bay Car rentals, which got good reviews online, but I would probably look elsewhere next time. The cars were pretty run down and I always wondered if we would make it from one location to another without breaking down. The car my sister rented was two different cars pieced together, one brand on the front, one brand on the back? Both cars had well over 100,000 miles on them. There were cars from other rental companies I saw while driving that looked to be in a little better shape than what we had. Oh, one more thing, there are mosquitos that come out on the island at night, so bring mosquito repellent, and keep the screen closed in your room after dark :)

Definitely will be back to the island and to the West Bay Club! Thanks for the great Vacation!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Kris C

Reviewed 19 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from four nights in an ocean front one bedroom luxury room. If you stay here I would definately pay the extra money for the oceanfront room. We were on the second floor. I would have rather been on a higher floor but it was high enough to see the sand. I was concerned that we would encounter unfriendly staff, but we had good luck for the most part. Some of the staff upon approach seem to be very standoffish, but after engaging they seem to warm up. Check in was quick and overly friendly. We had our taxi driver (Par with Super 7) come back and take us to the grocery store for snacks, wine, beer and breakfast. After seeing the pricing that West Bay would charge to get our groceries for us, I opted to spend $30 for cab fair rather than over $50 for them to provide me with groceries that I couldn't even guarantee. We had dinner the first night at Seven. We had the pork belly and lobster. Both were wonderful. Don't order the scallop appetizer. It was yummy but for I think $12-15 there were only two scallops. Dinner was $200, but the food, setting and service were all spot on. The first morning, we ate at Somewhere Cafe at Coral Gardens. It was nice to have an option within walking distance. The food and setting were good. We were too afraid to try breakfast at West Bay Club, after all of the bad reviews, so we ate food in the room or at Somewhere Cafe. FYI: There was salt, pepper, sugar and sweet n low in the room so you may not have to get any when going to the store. We didn't get lucky with good wheather. The first day was windy but tolerable. The second and third full days were too windy to even get in the water. We were unable to snorkel until our last day on the island which was a bummer. On a walk down the beach we spotted a shark in very shallow water right off the beach. We asked one of the guys working on the beach and he said that sometimes they see sharks. Uugghh. It made me a little nervous to snorkel but thankfully I had two days of wind to get my nerve back up. We also had dinner at Coco Bistro and Bay Bistro. Both were wonderful.

We went to the casino once. It was fun but the staff there is horrible. They do offer free shuttle service back to your hotel though.

Saturday we went out on the sailboat Beluga. The wind prevented us from snorkeling and the rough seas made it much less enjoyable than we were hoping. We did get to see JoJo the dolphin who came to visit us at the boat though and Captain Nik was fabulous. He made a potentially back trip enjoyable.

We asked the beach staff on our first day whether we were supposed to snorkel in the middle of the bouys at Coral Gardens or outside of the bouys and they said to snorkel inside the bouys only. Once we finally snorkeled on our last day we thankfully realized that the beach staff was incorrect. You snorkel outside of the bouys because the rocks are so close to the surface inside of the bouys. On our way out of the water a man was standing up in the middle of the bouys screaming at his buddies on the beach that he saw something huge. You are not supposed to stand or even touch the coral as it destroys it. A man quickly came running out of Coral Gardens screaming to get the man out from inside the buoys. OMG. The snorkeling at Coral Gardens was pretty good and extremely convenient.

The room was large and wonderfully decorated. The bed caved in the middle so it made for a rough night of sleep. Room 209 needs a new matress. The dryer never stops until you open it manually so don't put anything in the dryer and leave thinking it will stop, because it won't.

We had lunch on our last day at Atlantic Grill and were pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff. Everyone was very accomodating and friendly and the food was pretty good. It made me sorry I didn't eat there more often during our trip.

While West Bay has the best beach and a gorgeous room with a gorgeous view, I don't know that I would stay here again. It is just too remote and it would have made our trip so much easier had we been able to walk to shops and more restaurants. I would pay extra to stay somewhere a little closer to everything. I really wanted to be within walking distance to snorkeling though. I guess you can't have it all.

We spent at least $15 each way for the taxi each time we left the hotel. Ask the front desk to call Par with Super 7 taxi service. He and his wife Delitha? were prompt and very friendly. We could ask him to pick us up the next day at 7pm and he or his wife would be there, on time, every time. Very reliable.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Candice22
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I would definitely come back to West Bay Club! Don't rent the studios, go for a room upgrade. My wife and I were here for 5 days, which was perfect. The staff is very friendly, the beach is the best on this strip of Provo. On both sides they are crowded down by Beaches and the other way toward Turtle bay they are short. The rooms are nicely upgraded, the pool is small but clean. The bar staff and food area is a little misdirected, but there are plenty of good restaurants around to pick from. Call ahead as many places are booked. Also have plenty of cab money with you as most are not within walking distance. The grocery store is surrounded by wild dogs and not a safe walk, take a cab! Also book ahead for any tours as well. Provo was awesome and this place is well worth the money and trip!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pixburgh
Reviewed 8 April 2012

West Bay club had everything you want in a vacation. Comfortable and luxurious accommodations, friendly and attentive staff and safe and central location. Not one thing to complain about just praise. The beach service was truly the best we've ever experienced; never once had to ask for anything; they anticipated our needs. Magnolia, Somewhere and Coco Bistro best eats. At the WBC it was like being alone at our own villa! Great job team WBC.

Room Tip: Higher the level bigger the view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank JoJohnVic
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Our first trip to TCI and I used Trip Advisor every step of the way! So I will return the favor by recapping our trip. We went as a family of 4 (with two teens, 15 and 16). As we strolled down Grace Bay, we realized that the beach at WBC was THE BEST! It was spacious, clean and gorgeous. Go down a few hotels (like to Beaches) and everyone is so crowded onto a small beach.

Beds were very comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was just fine. We were able to skip lunch (to save up for very expensive dinners!) by filling up at breakfast. It never felt crowded, there was always chairs at the beach and at the pool and at breakfast. We ended up using all the free beach equipment (snorkel gear, kayaks, hobie cat, paddle boards, etc.) that we didn't feel the need to book an excursion. (We also had a car so we could get places ourselves).

Everything wasn't perfect though. Since we had not visited before, we didn't realize how the rooms were set up. I asked for two studio bedrooms -- which are usually attached to another room, but not to another studio room. This was not a problem for us, but one room was about twice the size of the other with two balconies and laundry that the other did not. The other room had a huge flat screen tv and DVD that the first one did not. No matter...we just switched went to the other room if we needed something.

There were tiny ants that were not too bothersome. But the mosquitos would buzz by our ears while we slept and wake us up. Nothing the hotel could really do about that, but it was annoying. The air conditioner in 208A was horribly loud, like a plane flying overhead. But I slept on the beach during the day, so I was still rested! The wooden shades let in the light all night, there was no curtain.

Would I go again? Absolutely. I am back home, very relaxed and looking back at our stay with a positive light.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family