See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 May 2010

I actually had to invent a new word to describe this hotel: nit-pickle-and-dime. After negotiating an acceptable rate, we came into town to find that every room in the hotel had more beds in it than a Prague hostel. The pool is down. Gaps between the walls and the ceiling, AC not working.

The neighborhood scared most of our group. Up the street is a mental hospital that keeps their gate open. I'm a fairly big guy, so it didn't scare me, but the women in our group...

Then came the extra charges: internet (per computer, so my phone and laptop were each costing $12/day), parking, ice, etc. How about a washing machine that runs on tokens that cost more than I would pay to have a load professionally laundered and pressed? The restaurant has the smallest portions on the island and the highest price. And guess what, it ain't very good.

And here is the kicker: I had an accident on the job and had my foot run over. So my last few days there I spent with a foot swollen to the size of a canned ham. The groundskeeper (who knocked on my door 5-6 times a day to ask me for cigarettes) was nice enough to say "a previous guest left a pair of crutches here. They are just sitting in the storage room." Since the hospital didn't supply me any, I gratefully accepted. They were old and falling apart, but it sure beat hopping around. They got me back to the states where I could get a new pair. I thought the hotel had redeemed itself.

That is until 2 months later when a strange charge showed up on my credit card. Called the hotel to find that the charged me $250 for the crutches! Crutches that had a lot of miles on them and were worth $20, tops. At no time did they mention that there would be a charge for them, that they were anything more than an old pair that no one cared about.

Everyone I met in TnT were the kindest, most generous and accommodating people. Except the management of the Chancellor. The greed from these people rivals any I have ever seen.

So don't be fooled. This hotel would be a good find if you were to pay $40/night. But you'll never get that deal, no matter what they say. Go to Alicia's Palace, where I will stay every time I go. See you there!

PS - A room above the restaurant that you can rent for a 10 person meeting, does not equal a conference center.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
7  Thank leastamong
Reviewed 2 June 2009

As part of the CARICOM Security Contingent for the Fifth Summit of the Americas, 30 Police Officers from the country of Belize lodged at the Chancellor Hotel for seven weeks. It was a very good experience. The hospitality was excellent. We were treated as though we were at home. As a matter of fact, when we learnt about our departure time the whole contingent was SAD. Kudos to The Chancellor Hotel , starting with Mr. Rajif, the manager down to Kaulings, the caretaker. We miss you all and thanks very much for your warm hospitality. We surely will go back.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Chuchito
Reviewed 7 March 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights before returning to England after a week in the north of the island. The hotel looks good from the coutyard but the room (we had a standard double) was grim. It only had one window which looked out onto the courtyard and the curtain had to be kept drawn to preserve any privacy. The room was basic but everything worked. The hotel staff were very helpful, the restaurant was fine, there was a small pool and the location is out of town (25 min walk to the centre) and would be a perfect location to take in Carnival. The Manager (Rajiv) was a nice guy and took the trouble to ask us how we were enjoying our stay. So if you just need a base / bed it is fine. On value for money - the rates are less than the 'big' hotels so I expect you get what you pay for. Our trip to see the Ibis (and we are not twitchers) was excellent - they are quite an amazing sight. Port of Spain is a real mix of the scruffy and the elegant - interesting but not worth spending a lot of time looking at!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Rooms are very humble. Bed Spreads are filthy and there is no place to unpack your clothes. I was there on business and literally had to leave all my clothes in my suitcase as I had no place to put them. The bed consists of a mattress on a low frame. No springboard. Continental breakfast that is included in the room consists of one coffee or juice (only one, don't ask for seconds as you won't get it), either a tiny muffin or a tiny croissant with an order of cold dry toast. There is no place to walk to so you need a cab for everywhere you go. Definately a place you DON'T want to stay. We had no choice a this was the only "motel" with vacancies......

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Militia
Reviewed 22 May 2008

I stayed here for work for 7 nights and was not overly impressed. There is an attempt to upgrade but...still noisy at night, food is very limited, location is far from city center and too dangerous to walk.

Stayed: January 2007