See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 December 2010

So apart from the fact that pretty much every employee in the place appeared disinterested in actually performing anything that might actually resemble providing service to a paying customer, and that any request for information or even ordering a meal at the in-house restaurant was met with a look as though we were somehow a massive inconvenience, our time at Alicia's was in fact the worst thing that has ever happened to us travelling.

Our room was down the back of the hotel near the pool (somewhat isolated), and actually we had seen very few people in the hotel, and it had a bit of a eerie feeling. Anyway, at 4:30am we were woken up by people banging on our door and then trying to get into our room. Somewhat dazed from being woken I stumbled to the door and demanded to know what was going on, and was met with "police, open the door". When I tried to go to the phone (which was working only sporadically) these men starting pounding the door and threatening to break it down. I opened the door but with the safety chain still across, and saw 3 men with large guns dressed in what could be vaguely described as uniforms. I asked for ID and was shown something which appeared to be a photocopied piece of paper. I insisted that these men return with somebody from reception if they were indeed police, only to be told "reception are aware, if you do not open the door we will use force to enter". After several very tense minutes of back and forth my girlfriend eventually got the phone working and confirmed with reception that there were in fact legitimate policemen in the hotel, who were apparently looking for somebody who was staying at the hotel and had earlier shot at police (?? i mean what does this say about the place anyway??). So we had no choice and opened the door and the men searched our room and questioned us in an aggressive manner, before finally departing to replay the saga with other unfortunate guests. The next morning (after getting back to sleep about 2 hours later) I went to reception to try and figure out what the hell had actually happened during the night and the staff were rather unapologetic and completely non-plussed about the whole thing - perhaps midnight police raids are not that uncommon?

So anyway, we checked out of there first thing the next morning and went to a place called the Allamanda or something along those lines, which was everything Alicia's place was not - welcoming staff, safe and homely 'vibe', convenient location - and even repaired some of the tarnishing of our image of Trinidad before we left.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TSK23
Reviewed 16 August 2010

because of my budget I reserved a small room, when I arrived I didnt like the room, so I asked if I could of seen another,When I saw it I took it immediately,(Lagniappe) I think all the rooms has a name,which I find interesting. Even though the room was small I liked it, it was secluded in a way, just a bit far from the kitchen, the breakfast was great, the room was clean,the pool was clean,I didnt like the dining area floor. I think some work could be done, I also asked to see some other rooms ,which was not bad at all,Something needs to be done about the mosquitos. Simone checked me in,she was pleasant and friendly aslo keisha she was friendly and helpfull, the staff overall was polite . I will definitely be back for my vacation in 2011.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sauceeeee
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I stayed at Alecias, for 3 weeks in June 2010. My first impression of the Hotel was the staff, they were courteous, polite and extremely helpful. Thank you all for your kindness shown towards me. The rooms were air conditioned and cleaned daily, as was the hotel it self.

The swimming pool area was very relaxing and cleaned daily as was the pool.

It is a 15 minute walk into Port of Spain, but i would advise, if you do not like walking take a taxi. On a personal note: I loved walking to see the Historical Buildings along the way.

I am looking forward to my return 3 week stay in March 2011.

Once again thanks to all the staff at Alecias for their kindness, and a big thank you to Keisha. Simon

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank BLUE1968
Reviewed 21 October 2009

My spouse & I are frequent visitors to Alicia's GuestHouse. Every stay there has been wonderful, staff excellent, food wonderful and cleanliness top of the line. Well this one is a great shocker this place is no longer in existence due to new management policies.Staff members remains the same but the new Chinese workers are "stink".These chinese workers are nasty & filthy, one morning while having breakfast I noticed a chinese man in the kitchen preparing God alone knows what his clothes they were extremely dirty & stained.There is a habit that is quite distrubing they eat their prepared meals straight from the pot in the dinning area in full view of the guests

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sexychick1102
Reviewed 29 November 2008

Our family stayed here from 7/16/08-7/20/08 and we hated this place. Although it was recommended by someone who had lived in Trinidad.

Everything was horrible from the unfriendly staff (except the lady at the front desk), to the moldy rooms. When we got there the staff completely ignored us (it's like they didn't want us in their guesthouse). We felt like unwanted guests.

First the room that they gave us was in a basment. It was moldy and damp. The bathroom faucets were leaky, and the air condidtioners didn't work, because they were clogged with dust. My sister who is 13 started to feel sick from the mold. Not to mention the closet which need a coat of paint. We told the staff and they told us they would get us another room around 12 the next day (they did get us a room), it was on the top floor. It was a smidge better, but there was still mold, and a clogged air conditioner.

We were up for most of the first night because of the constant noise (either from people coming in, or from the loud staff).

The breakfast was not so bad (the staff that served us was really nice). We were having breakfast one morning when a bird flew in the breakfast room (that was funny).

They have a pool area, but you should be careful because there is a mango tree that hangs above it (don't want to get hit in the head with a mango), and the water in the hot tub looked murkey.

The only reason we stayed here was because a friend who had lived in Trinidad told us about this place. My family would never visit this guesthouse again. It was a waste of time.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank diamonds708