All reviews coconut bar the cottages outdoor shower plunge pool fish swim up bar air conditioning true caribbean sunset point our honeymoon lounge chairs second week luxury cottage rum punch aren t island resort restaurant staff
Reviewed 26 August 2018

My wife & I have just returned from a two week all inclusive stay at Young Island Resort. We booked in the UK via Virgin Holidays flying to Barbados then flying on to St. Vincent. We saw no Virgin Holiday staff during our stay.

Taxi transfer takes about 15 minutes or so, the ferry across to the island takes under 2 minutes. We were met by hotel staff, and given a welcome drink. Check-in took minutes - we were then shown to Cottage 28 which was an upgrade on our booking - it was 90 steps up, so you need to be fit for this particular cottage. A fridge is included but contained nothing, although there was a kettle, milk, teabags and a coffee machine.

The cottage did not have air conditioning, surprisingly this was not a problem. It is so well ventilated by the many shuttered windows that we were cool all the time - A/C would not work well anyway due to so much ventilation. The property was very spacious and included a plunge pool. We had the opportunity to move to another luxury cottage (10) after a week, we did move which meant no more steps. Again the property was very well ventilated and had it's own pool. It was right on the shoreline.

Some rooms are rented daily by day visitors, they are usually 3 or 4 adults with 4 of 5 children . This made the pool area too busy and noisy some days for us to use in the afternoons. Other family visitors just used the beach facilities - we agree with other reviews that this is annoying to guests as the beach beds and hammocks are used by non-paying visitors. There were not many guests staying like us - it was low season.

Dining was a very enjoyable experience with table service at all meals except Saturday BBQ and Sunday lunch curry. Menus were varied and local fish always an option including breakfast. Dress code is smart casual for dinner. All alcohol (wines etc) was included for us.

Drinks - Coconut beach bar was not open during our stay, we assumed this was due to a low number of guests. The main bar was busy lunchtime due to external visitors, but very quiet after 7pm. Beers (bottled) were good, all wines were fine too. Spirits were included for us - some international brands were chargeable. Service was excellent in all departments.

Trips - reception will book you a taxi - we visited Kingstown to visit the markets, we also visited Bequia on the public ferry ($10 US each way)

We enjoyed our stay and would recommend Young Island Resort for your stay.

I hope you find my review helpful !

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank GarySkuse
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

My partner and I visited Young Island today for a few hours as we were staying at The Mariners hotel opposite. We followed instructions by using the green free phone at the port to call the ferry across but the line was engaged for at least 10 minutes to both the ferry and the front of house number. After waiting for the ferry to return we got on but we were made to feel as though we had to explain why we were going over there. Once we arrived we went to the bar to get a drink but we were not treated with very good customer service at all. We were ignored and given blunt responses. We used a small area of the beach as every beach lounger was reserved. After about an hour we decided to get the ferry back across. As we walked up we were shouted at to remove the sand off our feet and then move the cushions in the boat so we wouldn’t get them wet. For such an idyllic and ‘romantic’ place (this is how it’s been advertised) I feel the staff let the lovely island down. Views are stunning, as is the water. There was also no one in the outside beach bar which was disappointing as it’s on the website as one of the islands attractions.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZCAM
Bianca P, General Manager at Young Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear ZCAM.

Thank you for your review of your experience at Young Island and recognizing the beauty of the beach and water. We apologize that you were unable to get through via the ferry phone for some time and will be looking into this. This should not have happened since there are several numbers that ring at the front desk.

You are correct that the beach loungers are reserved for overnight and day pass guests. We are truly sorry for your negative interaction with our ferry operator. You were more than welcome to have a seat on the ferry; though we generally ask that the cushions be moved before sitting if you are wet, in order to accommodate any guest that would like a dry seat. We will address both of these issues in our ongoing staff training as we want to provide comfort and convenience for all of our guests.

Best regards,
Bianca Porter

Reviewed 21 August 2018

We recently spent the day on Young Island to hopefully enjoy the each and a drink at the bar. We were shocked to find that the place was overrun with poorly behaved children whose parents didn't seem to mind them running amok on this once peaceful sanctuary. Kids were yelling and generally shattering the tranquility. One child was allowed to chew on a menu-gross! The kids were all over the bar coming up to people and bothering them. None of the parents seemed to mind. Young Island used to be such a relaxing place and now it seems to have turned into just another beach bar. We have been visiting St. Vincent for many years and used to stay on Young Island all the time but have chosen to stay elsewhere the last 3 visits. It has really gone downhill. The décor is exactly the same as it was in the 1980's. Sad to see this once exclusive resort in such decline.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Christine K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize that your experience was not what you were hoping for. Young Island does allow families with well-behaved children to visit but on this day there were more children than normal.

You will be pleased to hear we will be introducing new furniture and paint colors to our bar area during our annual closure period of September.

Again, we are sorry for your experience but do hope you will visit again in the future to see the new décor.

Best regards,
Bianca Porter

Reviewed 19 August 2018

I have a secret about Young Island resort. It is that seventeen years ago I was standing on this little spot of paradise thinking about whether I should tie the knot there. I wanted my husband-to-be to feel the connection I had with the place- because to understand that was to understand a bit of who I was. Chilled out and very happy to be. Seventeen years later I was back, and even though we eventually did not get married there but half way around the globe, I was bringing hubby and our kid back to one of the places on Earth where I felt at my most relaxed.
I had worried something had changed but Young Island resort did not disappoint. Simply getting on board the now iconic cornflower-blue wooden ferry which endlessly chugs from dock to dock every few minutes, is when you feel your troubles starting to melt away. It is really magical, this place. A knob of land jutting out just a few hundred metres from the mainland but complete with its own white sand beach, coral reef, mini rainforest and sunset lookout point. The cottages, pools and pathways are dotted around perfectly complementing its "Caribbean laid back " credentials. Perfectly formed indeed.
It is also a place of rejuvenation. We came as weary travellers getting into SVG after 26 hours of flights. My first point of recovery was The Spa. If a picture paints a thousand words then have a look at the one attached. It shows what the view is like lying on one of the Spa's treatment couches. Then imagine a warm Caribbean breeze, not an air conditioning system, the sound of the waves on the rocks and actual birds singing, not piped in from an audio system, and you will start to get the fuller picture. My therapist was professional but so sweet that at the end of my sessions, kneaded and polished back to perfection, I gave her a hug. Well done to Marsha Ann the owner and her team for this gem.
And that was the start. What else is there to say? The place is made for relaxation. You can do quite a bit in a day even without the short hop to the mainland - from the pool and the reefs to a game of tennis, but you can also do absolutely nothing but lie in a hammock for as long as you want. Kudos to Bianca the Manager for maintaining the essence of the place over many years now. This is what makes it unique. Of course we were sorry to leave but I sincerely hope that we can come back in a few years from now to rediscover the spot where our bliss begins.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank thethreeofus41
Reviewed 8 August 2018

Arriving at Young Island is truly a treat as you are greeted dockside and escorted across a short span of water that is sufficiently long enough to make you feel that you are truly in the Caribbean.
The cottages dotted all over the island are delightful and i especially enjoyed the outdoor shower - private but with views all the way down the Grenadines.
If you are returning note that they have moved the airport to a new location that is now 30 mins from the property. Its a beautiful new facility but spoils the ambiance of landing almost in the middle of Kingstown

Stayed: August 2018