We have been coming here for years. This small Relais & Chateaux property was owned by English expats who sold to Americans over ten years ago. Today, the owner, Muffin Hoffman, presides with great grace and efficiency. The staff all love her, and her guests are well cared for. The rooms are Caribbean charming, not the Crillon. Modern air conditioning, rarely needed. Large pool great for lounging. A small restaurant called Indigo flanks the pool. The main house has the most gracious (high barrel ceiling) living room where we take our cocktails, enjoy passed hors d'oeuvres, and select dinner from the menu. From their we stroll to the outdoor patio for our meal and a view to St Kitts twinkling in the distance. Magical.
Montpelier is a stone 18th century English sugar plantation. The Hoffmans restored the original mill, which is now an elegant dining room, complete with candlelight and extra special service. For a special dinner, we book the Mill Privee, which I think it is called. We had a family Christmas dinner there.
The chef is world class, the food terrific in every way. I had the most elegant tender piece of wahoo I have ever tasted here. Great wine list, originally curated by Lincoln, Muffin's husband who passed away on Nevis a few years ago.
Montpelier's beach property (ten minutes away) is a great spot for killing the day with picnic baskets. At least once a week (Mondays?), there is a killer beach barbecue with ribs, lobsters, great live music, and mandatory dancing.
We have friends who are content to have a long breakfast on the patio and hang around the pool, stroll down the lane, play some tennis, and never leave the main property. Others explore Nevis. Muffin and her team (including Jackie in the office) can arrange anything you need.
Montpelier is such a unique spot, taxi drivers include it in their tours of the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Montpelier Plantation & Beach is an elegant hideaway in the heart of the Caribbean. Nevis is an unspoiled island with stunning natural beauty. Only 6 miles from the beach, the hotel is idyllically situated 750 feet above the Caribbean Sea in the foothills of Nevis Peak. Surrounded by 60 acres of lush tropical gardens and built around one of the island’s original 18th century sugar plantations, this charming getaway is delightfully secluded. Carefully designed to let the fresh sea air and tranquility connect you to a simpler way of life. This unique getaway proudly offers Relais & Chateaux hospitality including fine wine and food with wellness that is both active and relaxing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Montpelier Plantation & Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Montpelier Plantation & Beach Hotel Charlestown
- Montpelier Plantation And Beach
- Montpelier Plantation Hotel
- Hotel Montpelier Plantation
- Montpelier Plantation & Beach Nevis/Charlestown