All reviewssugar millgreat roompool barpicnic lunchother guestsour honeymooncocktail hourbotanical gardensfour seasonsminute shuttle rideyellow labafternoon teabeautiful poolold millevery morningnevis peakyogurt
Reviewed 29 June 2017

You never forget your first Relais and Chateaux resort. Situated in a garden at the base of a volcano on the West Indies island of Nevis, Montpelier Plantation and Beach is a quiet retreat of tranquility for nature lovers like myself. The rooms are bright and clean with fresh florals added daily. With views of the Caribbean Sea, private beach access, and world class dining, this is a resort to add to your bucket list!

About The Resort
2017 happens to be the fiftieth anniversary of Montpelier Plantation and Beach. The iconic sugar mill on the property last operated in 1933. Now the 18th century mill’s gears hang around the resort as striking art pieces. I had the pleasure of having a cocktail with the resort’s owner, Muffin, who told me that Montpelier’s famous tree was planted forty years ago in a pot by reception. Now the mighty tree is a kind of mascot for the beautiful resort. Located 750 feet above the Caribbean Sea and surrounded by 60 acres of lush gardens, this boutique hotel allows you to truly get away from it all and enjoy Nevis naturally.

To get to the resort, you’ll want to fly in to St. Kitts. The hotel can arrange airport transportation for you, which includes a scenic drive on St. Kitts, a six-minute water taxi to Nevis, and a thirty minute drive to the resort.

The Room
We stayed in one of the ocean view plantation rooms and loved the airiness of it. With high ceilings, a sitting area, a spacious bathroom, and a veranda overlooking the garden and ocean, you won’t feel cramped in this beautiful room. I didn’t realize that the flowers in the room were real until the next day when they were swapped out for new freshly fallen flowers from the property. What a treat! I spent every morning on the veranda and spotted both wild donkeys and monkeys right from my room!

The Beach
Montpelier Plantation and Beach has its own private beach. Since the resort is at the base of Mount Nevis and not on the beach, the hotel offers complimentary shuttle transfers to and from the beach. Montpelier’s private beach has an abundance of shade, which my Irish skin very much appreciated. There’s a nice bathroom on site, plenty of private cabanas, and a little beach bar that will shake up as many Caribbean Lovers cocktails as you please. Even in May, the ocean was refreshing – just cool enough – and you can see nearby St. Kitts from the beach! The resort also has complimentary snorkel gear and kayaks for your entertainment.

One of the most delightful treats of the beach club was the picnic option. The night before, you can pick your picnic lunch, which Montpelier will pack up and deliver to the beach for you complete with linens, napkins, real silverware, and freshly baked cookies. What’s not to love about that? If that isn’t the most Rose Table lunch, I just don’t know what is. I ordered the grilled shrimp wrap with wasabi cream, bell peppers, lettuce, and carrots. It was the perfect lunch to fuel my swim!

Dining
If you need a single reason to visit Montpelier Plantation and Beach, go for the food. It’s truly a foodie’s delight! The resort has three restaurants: the poolside Indigo, Restaurant 750, and Mill Privée, an exclusive dining option that allows guest to enjoy a five-course meal inside the hotel’s 300 year-old sugar mill. That’s definitely one of the best dining experiences I’ve ever had. I cannot stress this enough: do not visit Nevis without a meal at Mill Privée. It’s such a special atmosphere and the food was incredible.

Montpelier Plantation and Beach also serves a fantastic breakfast, which includes assorted tropical fruits, authentic French pastries, freshly made yogurt, perfectly poached eggs (and you know how picky I am about poached eggs!), and great coffee.

Montpelier Plantation and Beach has a stunning pool next to the sugar mill that’s great for laps or reading a book next to. There’s of course the private beach with complimentary kayaks and snorkel gear. You can rent bikes or hire a guide to help you explore the island if you’re feeling adventurous. If you want to relax, yoga classes are available upon request. The Botanical Gardens of Nevis are just a five-minute walk away.

Many of Montpelier’s amenities are food related, including cooking classes with the head chef, a cocktail hour in the gorgeous orchid-filled lounge, and rum tastings. When in the Caribbean, right?

Rum Tasting
This is such a fun way to kick off your stay at Montpelier Plantation and Beach! The hotel’s charming Greek food and beverage manager, Nikolas, took us through a flight of six rums. My favorites were: Clifton Estate, a spiced rum handmade in small batches on Nevis with notes of orange, cognac, and cinnamon; Shipwreck Vanilla, a St. Kitts rum good enough to be dessert, and the Zacapa XO, a Guatemalan rum with notes of oak, caramel, nuts, and orange. The rum tasting included a variety of chocolates and just screams, “Welcome to the Caribbean, mate!”

When I heard Montpelier’s spa is out in the garden, I was pleased as punch. I booked a sports massage and, having had a plethora of sports massages in the past, I was blown away by the treatment I received. Alice from Trinidad with her magic hands gave me one of the best massages of my life! Alice used her elbows, forearms, palms, and fingertips for different areas. She actually started with my legs before moving to my back and really seemed to adjust the massage as she felt the trouble spots on my body like a real pro. I felt like I lost ten pounds when I got off of that table after she worked out all of my knots!

Being in the garden didn’t hurt the experience either! The gentle sea breeze rolled across my back, birds chirped, donkeys brayed, and a soft island rain even fell for a short while. They had spa music playing quietly but it wasn’t even necessary; I loved hearing the sounds of the islands around me. At just $95 for a massage, this is a must if you love a good spa.

The Atmosphere
This was my first time to the West Indies and I loved how much I felt like I was in a classy, safe jungle while at Montpelier Plantation and Beach. It’s a quiet, lush garden waiting to delight you. To stay here is to stay with friends…friends who happen to have four diamond accommodations and a world class chef. This is a very different place than eastern Caribbean islands. Most of the tourists we met on the island had been there for weeks and have been coming back to Montpelier for decades. That really ought to tell you everything you need to know.

More dining reviews and photos on my website, The Rose Table.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2017

We absolutely loved our stay here, with our only complaint being that we couldn't spend more time (only 4 nights). The staff is very friendly, the grounds are immaculate, and the food is outstanding! Because of our short stay, we missed out on some of their activities that looked really fun, like cooking and/or shopping with the chef, and organized hikes - maybe next time! We ate on property every night, and while I understand there are a couple of really nice restaurants close by (Bananas and Golden Rock) we were just so thoroughly happy with our meals that we did not want to risk having a bad one! And the wine pairing by Nicholas was excellent!

Room Tip: I think every room has a view
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rrbjr50
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Amazing hotel. All the staff is so nice, friendly and warm smiling. The food is so delicious, there you can find the best food around Nevis. Take the dinner inside the mill is lovely, you have to try it.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2017

This is a nice mountain hideaway with awesome views and the beauty of nature. It is quaint, romantic, cozy, serene and all the vacation buzz words. Unfortunately i had a one day business stop....so perhaps not the best of that option. It is reasonably priced by the standards of that market. Breakfast was good and included. Service excellent with pleasant and friendly staff. Two downsides....no TV in the room....so if you need that, beware. And the internet was very spotty and inconsistent...so a perfect storm if you are not there for romantic getaways. Otherwise, I cant grade it down for what it was intended to be.

Room Tip: Mountain views are nice.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank doctorbird41
Reviewed 11 June 2017

Unfortunately, I only stayed 1 night but will be back to experience it again with my partner hopefully next year. I didn't go to the private beach or used any of the other facilities the property offers. But the pool was wonderful not too cold (as one party describes it) and 2.5 meters deep.
The staff is just excellent, warm smiling and very attentive not pushy at all. And I am talking about all the staff. After an absolutely perfect dinner, I met the young chef outside (I was told Dimittrious) boy, can he cook. And he told me he was self-taught. Most restaurants at home need people like him. The management here is doing their job, where other places fail so often, by selecting/hiring only the best staff.
As it is off season and the room was advertised on TripAdvisor for $151 plus local taxes it is 5 stars for me, and I didn't worry about not having any TV or spotty wifi.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo