The Montpelier is a beautifully restored old plantation house with the restaurant and dining areas in the historic building and accommodation in individual lodges in the attractive gardens. The owners manage the hotel and there is a level of personal attention and service by Muffin and her family which make you feel more like guests in their house than as hotel residents. There is a house party feel too with pre-dinner cocktails in the main drawing room at a set time where guests get to chat to one another. It was our first time but many of the guests seem to have been regulars for years but we felt just as well looked after and there was certainly no lack of friendliness to us new recruits!
The lodge rooms are very private with lovely views across the well-tended gardens to the sea in the distance. Our plantation room was simply but stylishly furnished with a huge four poster bed and very light and airy with windows on each side.
The food was exceptionally good. Dinner was served in the large open-fronted dining room decorated with dramatic modern paintings with strong colours contrasting with two old mill wheels set vertically as a central feature. Disappointingly breakfast was served on a verandah at the back of the hotel and it was a shame not to be able to enjoy the views from the lovely dining room.
We would have liked an alternative option to the fine dining experience in the restaurant. On a five day stay we tend to want a lighter option for a couple of evenings but this wasn't available and although we cut out a couple of courses on one evening it's not really set up for anything other than fine dining.
The beach is a 15 minute trip and the hotel organise a minibus once in the morning and then returning in the afternoon so if you want to go outside the set times you have to hire a car or take a taxi. We had been spoiled on Antigua but even so the beach was a little scruffy and to get to it you have to go through the middle of a major construction site. However the beach itself is a nice position looking out towards St Kitts. On one day a barbecue and cricket match was arranged which was great fun and thankfully not taken seriously by anyone!
We mixed our Caribbean trip with visits to Antigua and Nevis. Nevis is more reserved and more what Muffin called "old Caribbean". It was a nice contrast with the more outgoing way of life on Antigua. But island hopping is not as easy as it should be. LIAT the Caribbean airline have timetables but not that they keep to! To get back to Antigua on a 17 minute flight from St Kitts it took a water taxi from Nevis a taxi from the jetty and then a 6 hour wait at the airport before LIAT turned up. No wonder the locals say LIAT stands for Leave Island Any Time!
We would recommend the Montpelier and it really lives up to its relais chateau status. For us a 5 night stay worked well as it gave us a chance to see the island while at the same time spending time relaxing by the beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Montpelier Plantation & Beach is an elegant hideaway in the heart of the Caribbean. Nevis is an unspoiled island with stunning natural beauty. Only 6 miles from the beach, the hotel is idyllically situated 750 feet above the Caribbean Sea in the foothills of Nevis Peak. Surrounded by 60 acres of lush tropical gardens and built around one of the island’s original 18th century sugar plantations, this charming getaway is delightfully secluded. Carefully designed to let the fresh sea air and tranquility connect you to a simpler way of life. This unique getaway proudly offers Relais & Chateaux hospitality including fine wine and food with wellness that is both active and relaxing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Montpelier Plantation & Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Montpelier Plantation And Beach
- Montpelier Plantation & Beach Hotel Charlestown
- Montpelier Plantation Hotel
- Hotel Montpelier Plantation
- Montpelier Plantation & Beach Nevis/Charlestown